Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1

Fresh Water Supply vs City Water Supply

I will be winterizing in the upcoming weeks so I need someone to explain the two different routes of supply for water in my RV. I've got a 2006 Surveyor (SV-264). I know I have a fresh water tank with a pump as one route for the water and my city water connection for the other and when I winterize I've seen the posts on this forum stating that I should turn the bypass valves on the water heater and then drain, then use compressed air thru the city water connection to blow out any remaining water in the lines before I use the hand pump and add antifreeze until it runs out of each fixture on the hot and cold sides and then pour some down the drains of each sink and add to toilet with valve closed and that seems to complete my task for winterizing. My question is when I add antifreeze thru the city water connection will that back flow thru the electric pump or is it required to fill the pump with antifreeze? I've ordered the hand pump to winterize with but I've also seen kits for adding antifreeze thru the electric pump but since the pump is behind a plywood panel next to the kitchen sink I've opted to add thru the hand pump on the outside of the trailer. The original owner of the RV told me he always added 5 or 6 gallons of antifreeze to the fresh water tank and then turned on the pump to do his winterizing but from what I've read this is not the preferred method and wastes a considerable amount of antifreeze. I'm just concerned that using the hand pump may not take care of the electric pump.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #2

Personally, I'd remove the panel and tie into the electric pump and call it a day. You DO NOT want to waste 5-6 extra gallons on pink stuff priming the fresh water tank. Not only is it a waste, but it's going to be tough getting the taste out of that tank. I'd return the hand pump and buy a 'Tee' fitting kit for the electric pump. It might take a lil' longer to do initially, but after this season it will be a breeze.
Mike
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Do I not need to use compress air and blow out the lines also before I add the antifreeze?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

You may have a water filter behind that panel as well. That's where mine is on my 264. You will want to empty it of water. My pump came with a tube to attach to suck up the anti freeze. If you are going to check(empty) the filter, you might as well pump the antifreeze thru the pump and keep it out of the FW tank. I would still blow out the lines before adding antifreeze. You'll be surprised how much is in the lines.
bob213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

No need to blow out water in lines prior to adding antifresh.

I would drain the fresh water tank, bypass and drain the water Heater. also remove water filter if so equipped. (I connect the inlet and outet water filter hoses together with a short length of 1/2" nipple so that i don't introduce antidfreeze into the filter housing.)

Then use the demand pump to purge water in the lines with pink stuff. After all lines (and traps) are filled with anti-freeze, remove the filter screen from the city water fill port and depress the check valve to allow antifreeze to flow back through the city water fill port.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

Just one more question concerning the winterizing process. What are the low point drain lines (hot & cold) used for on my camper? I went ahead and uncapped and then recapped after the water stopped flowing and just before I began to add the antifreeze thru the electric pump. Is this the correct way to use them and do I uncap them again next spring when I begin the process to flush out the antifreeze?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork
Just one more question concerning the winterizing process. What are the low point drain lines (hot & cold) used for on my camper? I went ahead and uncapped and then recapped after the water stopped flowing and just before I began to add the antifreeze thru the electric pump. Is this the correct way to use them and do I uncap them again next spring when I begin the process to flush out the antifreeze?
Low point drains are for emptying all water from the lines, yes what you did is correct and you can repeat the process in the spring.