RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Fresh water tank

Anyone have a general rule of thumb on how long to leave water in the fresh water tank between camping trips? I still have half a tank from 1 week ago and 3 weeks until our next trip.
Thanks
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

I keep about 1/3 tank of fresh water for use while we're on the road. More if I'll be dry camping. That said and assuming that you are using a city water supply, i drain and refill mine every few weeks.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach428 View Post
I keep about 1/3 tank of fresh water for use while we're on the road. More if I'll be dry camping. That said and assuming that you are using a city water supply, i drain and refill mine every few weeks.
I leave whatever water remaining from a trip in the tank. Just before I get ready for my next trip I drain and fill with fresh. (Freezing weather during storage excepted).

Here's what a "water district" says about how long water is safe:

Quote:
Commercially packaged water can be stored for about 5 years; home filled stored water should be changed annually.
If one is keeping their "Camper" ready to go in case of emergency they could just add a small amount of Clorox to the tank when filling it.

According to Clorox "clear" water can be chlorinated with 3.5 tsp for a 40 gallon tank. If you've left the OE filter installed what little chlorine taste that might remain in the tank over time is filtered out by the charcoal block in the filter.

In my case I have been taking off on trips every 3-4 weeks until the big lockdown. Tank water hasn't been able to get old.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I leave whatever water remaining from a trip in the tank. Just before I get ready for my next trip I drain and fill with fresh. (Freezing weather during storage excepted).

If one is keeping their "Camper" ready to go in case of emergency they could just add a small amount of Clorox to the tank when filling it.

According to Clorox "clear" water can be chlorinated with 3.5 tsp for a 40 gallon tank. If you've left the OE filter installed what little chlorine taste that might remain in the tank over time is filtered out by the charcoal block in the filter.

In my case I have been taking off on trips every 3-4 weeks until the big lockdown. Tank water hasn't been able to get old.

I appreciate the feedback! Thanks
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:

Thank You!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #6

City water is already chlorinated almost without exception. It's in the underground and your home pipes "forever." Do you take special precautions at home when you're gone for a couple of weeks (or months)? Didn't think so.

-- Chuck
Old 05-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
City water is already chlorinated almost without exception. It's in the underground and your home pipes "forever." Do you take special precautions at home when you're gone for a couple of weeks (or months)? Didn't think so.

-- Chuck
I am far from an expert but I believe it is a big difference in a sealed system at home and a vented system with air in it like in a camper. Now if campers used a bladder system with no air it would be more like a home system.

I try to not leave it more then 2-3 weeks without draining and maybe sanitizing then refilling.
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:

Thank You for an intelligent reply!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I am far from an expert but I believe it is a big difference in a sealed system at home and a vented system with air in it like in a camper. Now if campers used a bladder system with no air it would be more like a home system.

I try to not leave it more then 2-3 weeks without draining and maybe sanitizing then refilling.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

When I was on well water, I drained the water tank after every trip. Or the water would get that "sulfur" smell after a month or so - especially the hot water.

Now that I am on city water, I don't worry about it. I usually drain the water tank after our last trip in Oct/Nov, and refill if we make a Jan/Feb trip. Before each trip, I normally top off the water tank - to reduce tongue weight and because Colorado campgrounds often have water turned off from Sept - May.

Most trips use some water for the toilet, and for pressure relief when we break camp. I have found that turning the water pump off and releasing system pressure using the outside shower before traveling prevents the fold-down sink faucet from leaking (due to handle shifting), and allows the water pump to function normally on the next start-up.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post

Food for thought. About 3 miles from my house, up on a hill, is a HUGE million plus gallon water tank where my water utility stores water that feeds the water mains to my house. Water is constantly going in and out of this tank. Tank vents on top have screens ocer them to keep birsd and their poop out.

The water mains may be sealed but the system is far from it.

Some old reservoir storage may have a membrane cover but around here the cover catches rainwater and there's a problem with ducks and geese using it as their private pond. Tanks are replacing reservoirs, at least around here.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
When I was on well water, I drained the water tank after every trip. Or the water would get that "sulfur" smell after a month or so - especially the hot water.

Now that I am on city water, I don't worry about it. I usually drain the water tank after our last trip in Oct/Nov, and refill if we make a Jan/Feb trip. Before each trip, I normally top off the water tank - to reduce tongue weight and because Colorado campgrounds often have water turned off from Sept - May.

Most trips use some water for the toilet, and for pressure relief when we break camp. I have found that turning the water pump off and releasing system pressure using the outside shower before traveling prevents the fold-down sink faucet from leaking (due to handle shifting), and allows the water pump to function normally on the next start-up.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Sulfur smell or taste in water is often a sign of bacteria in oxygen deficient water along with organic matter.

A small amount of chlorine will cure it.

About 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. Mix well, let sit, drink.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #13

I just empty the tank at the end of a trip. I typically don't have much in it anyway. I fill it full right before the next trip.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #14

I'm very close to my weight limit with no water, so I always tow with an empty tank. Open the drain when leaving the campsite. When I get home and park I always refill freshwater to keep for emergencies. Then to go camping, same routine, open freshwater drain when leaving and refill at campsite or close to it as possible.

During a normal season, I would not worry about water freshness with a charcoal filter and only drain, change filter, and refill during the winterizing cycle you would do anyway.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank