Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Okay quick question. Our daughter has been living in our RV now for about 2 months. We are using the City Water Connect to provide water to the RV. I have never hooked up the Fresh Water supply. Today I noticed the overflow from the fresh tank dripping. When I checked the panel, it showed the fresh tank was full. How did this happen since I have never put water in it and when it was delivered it was empty?
Old 11-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #2

The check valve in the fresh water pump is likely stuck open.

Only other thing it could be is if you have a Showermiser and left the handle in the bypass position.

Try putting some water in the FW tank and running the pump, cycle it on/off a couple times. This will sometimes free the check valve and allow it to shut. If that doesn't work you may have to either rebuild or replace the pump.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
The check valve in the fresh water pump is likely stuck open.

Only other thing it could be is if you have a Showermiser and left the handle in the bypass position.

Try putting some water in the FW tank and running the pump, cycle it on/off a couple times. This will sometimes free the check valve and allow it to shut. If that doesn't work you may have to either rebuild or replace the pump.
He probably won't have to "Try putting some water in the FW tank" if the tank is already full.
The last time I had this happen, I turned off the campground water spigot, turned on the pump, and used up the water from the fresh water tank. When that was finished, the check valve had been cleared of debris/unstuck.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPayne13 View Post
Okay quick question. Our daughter has been living in our RV now for about 2 months. We are using the City Water Connect to provide water to the RV. I have never hooked up the Fresh Water supply. Today I noticed the overflow from the fresh tank dripping. When I checked the panel, it showed the fresh tank was full. How did this happen since I have never put water in it and when it was delivered it was empty?
It is the check valve in the fresh water pump malfunctioning and allowing pressurized water to flow backwards at the pump. You can fix this by replacing the pump or installing a manual shutoff. Check your water pressure, How high is it ? I would imagine that if it is outrageously high that that is a contributing factor.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:44 PM   #5

I had the same problem of the fresh water tank back filling from the city connection.
I must say, it was my fault, as when i first started out, i didnt use or have a psi regulator and compromised the valve in the pump with high water pressure.
I took it, the pump, apart and put back together and used a psi valve ever since.
I did have a hit or miss of it sometimes back filling and other times not.
I cut in a shut off valve so that would never happen again when hooked up to city water. Installing the shut off, did not change the flow of the pump at all, when i used the fresh tank water.
I did end up replacing the pump a few years later because it just wouldnt hold psi without turning on every few mns.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #6

You can also add an external check valve on the inlet of the pump.

Valterra P23402LFVP 1/2" Check Valve https://a.co/d/e6SKppC

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #7

Thanks I will try that.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #8

Thanks I will see if that will work.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
It is the check valve in the fresh water pump malfunctioning and allowing pressurized water to flow backwards at the pump. You can fix this by replacing the pump or installing a manual shutoff. Check your water pressure, How high is it ? I would imagine that if it is outrageously high that that is a contributing factor.
I would just turn off city water and use the freshwater pump to empty the freshwater tank with normal usage before going to the trouble of replacing or adding anything. It's a solution that usually works and costs nothing.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:59 PM   #10

This is the method recommended by another member (sorry, can't remember who) and it worked for a friend.
Try this
The check valve on your water pump is not seating properly, allowing city water to fill the fresh water tank. One thing to try:
1) Turn off city water at the source;
2) Turn on your water pump and open-and-close various faucets in your camper allowing the water pump to cycle on and off;
3) Turn off water pump, open a faucet and relieve water pressure;
4) Turn city water back on.

One other thing... Make certain the water pump is OFF when connected to city water.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #11

This problem is usually caused by having the water pump turned on while also connected to city water.

It causes the check valve to not properly seat and in almost all cases it's corrected by resetting the check valve as previously stated. Has happened to me a couple times and each timeva "reset" is all it took.

This is not to say the valve can't fail or fouled by contaminants but trying a reset first can save time, money, and wasted effort.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank