Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2024, 02:07 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

Just wait until your fresh water tank falls down and is supported only by the underlayment... the dealer we purchased this from new in 2022 won't even take appointments for service for two months. This thing is a cheap pile of junk, and according to forest river claims the water tank support ISN'T covered by the lifetime warranty, only the tank itself is.
Yamahammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammered View Post
Just wait until your fresh water tank falls down and is supported only by the underlayment... the dealer we purchased this from new in 2022 won't even take appointments for service for two months. This thing is a cheap pile of junk, and according to forest river claims the water tank support ISN'T covered by the lifetime warranty, only the tank itself is.
AFAIK, Forest River doesn't offer a lifetime warranty.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
AFAIK, Forest River doesn't offer a lifetime warranty.
They do, through certain dealerships and they did tell me I can use any RV repair shop for warranty work, so that's nice.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:06 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
They do, through certain dealerships and they did tell me I can use any RV repair shop for warranty work, so that's nice.
I believe you need to read the fine print of whatever forever warranty you "believe" is through Forest River. And who is the "they" who said you can use any repair shop? I do not know of any extended warranty offered by FR.

FR had an extra 1 year warranty years ago but stopped that around the time COVID hit or before. Sounds like the dealer sold you something you might be misinterpreting.

Water tanks not being supported properly in certain models is a well documented issue on just about every R/V forum I visit.

Oh... and welcome to the forum.
Sorry your 1st post was a complaint.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:18 PM   #5

If you post your make and model with some pics, you may get suggestions how to fix the issue. As said Forest River, or any other manufacturer that I know of, offers any kind of extended warranty. Let alone a lifetime warranty. Thinking you were mislead by someone. It does suck you had the failure. Likely not difficult to repair. Get it repaired and enjoy trips. In the mean time you can try and resolve the warranty issue. If your not DIYer, hopefully you have a friend who can help. Campers are built incredibly light weight. Throw in some poor workmanship and problems will arrise. Even if built well at the factory, dragging these things around can cause issues of their own. If you read here for a little while you will find what to look for and likely how to remedy issues. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:32 PM   #6

I hope that you are willing to learn to do your own basic repairs. RV's are notorious for poor quality and even worse customer service. I hope that it turns out that your dealer is one of the good ones.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
They only offer a 1-year warranty. Anything else will be through a 3rd party.

https://forestriverinc.com/owners/Warranty-Information
Old 02-21-2024, 11:06 AM   #8

Back to the subject of tanks falling out. We boondock a bit and couldn’t stomach the statement that tanks are not intended to be full while traveling. It’s just a dumb excuse for poor construction.

I preemptively secured two 1x1x1/8 angle iron braces under all 3 tanks. The factory strap can fail but the tank will never fall out. I did this project in an afternoon in my driveway. It’s just a little piece of mind.

As for 3rd party warranty there are some really good ones and bad ones just like anything. They are technically not a warranty they are an insurance policy. And just like anything read the fine print and remember it’s someone’s job to say no. They don’t make money by paying claims.

As for me, being a well skilled DIYer I don’t think it would ever pay for itself.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Forest River does not "sell" a lifetime warranty nor any warranty. They include a 1 year factory warranty for the original owner and it's not transferable.
Yor dealer sold you a 3rd party warranty, not Forest River.
Blame them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:40 PM   #10
Scoundrel

As mentioned above, this is a well known problem with RVs. Simply type "Fresh water tank support" in the search window near the top of the page and you'll get hours and hours of bedtime reading.

Welcome to the forums!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry you're dealing with this, Yamahammered, and that your intro to the board is announcing a problem.

Tank fall is a *real* issue, and is related to all manner of things, but mostly the nature of the tanks (they are heavy when full and can flex for a variety of reasons), the nature of the support provided (just the edges), and the nature of the drive (longer and bumpier and flexier are all just more opportunities for one's tank to slip).

It's a divisive topic (driving with filled/full tanks or not), with many strong feelings in both directions (fueled by experience and conjecture alike). Personally speaking, I'm in the camp of "won't travel with my tanks full (if I can help it)," as a result of this exact sort of issue. Also travel with some strapping (as temporary backup, just in case of a problem), and with some plans to (someday) get around to bracing my FW tank up. First have to figure out it there's a better way to take off (and then replace) the underskirting.

I'm also in the mind of "the factory really needs to bake in some better tank support from the jump." But the beancounters and the quality assurance loops have their say, too.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #12

Sorry for your fresh water tank issue. As HangDiver said, search the forum and you'll find different solutions based on the type of rig you have. The 'bolt on' solutions are the easiest.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-21-2024, 03:22 PM   #13

Thanks all and sorry for coming off so negative off the bat... there are a lot of things that I do like about this camper (2022 FR Primetime Avenger 24BHS), and this can easily be fixed to better than new by my husband. The warranty I have is Northstar Liberty lifetime limited and was part of the deal from Unlimited RV here in Independence MO (Home of the lifetime warranty). The sales people were so awesome but then as soon as service was needed it was a totally different experience. We're going to fix this ourselves, but I'm wondering if we should take down the underlayment and look at everything or just weld or bolt additional support while leaving the underlayment in place (looks like a PITA to remove). Is there a chance the tank could slide around and damage the plumbing connections? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2024, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks for clearing up the Forest River lifetime warranty statement.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
The warranty I have is Northstar Liberty lifetime limited and was part of the deal from Unlimited RV here in Independence MO (Home of the lifetime warranty). The sales people were so awesome but then as soon as service was needed it was a totally different experience.
Sadly, this is not an uncommon experience regarding getting service at a dealership.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:47 PM   #16
llr

Quote:
I'm wondering if we should take down the underlayment and look at everything or just weld or bolt additional support while leaving the underlayment in place (looks like a PITA to remove). Is there a chance the tank could slide around and damage the plumbing connections? Thanks in advance!
By underlayment, I assume you men the colorplast (corrugated plastic) on the bottom, if not please clarify and post a picture if needed.

For many repairs you can cut an 3 sided access hole and tape it up afterword's, this will need a fairly large hole and you will probably need to remove a large section.

And yes if it slides around it will probably damage at least connections.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
We're going to fix this ourselves, but I'm wondering if we should take down the underlayment and look at everything or just weld or bolt additional support while leaving the underlayment in place (looks like a PITA to remove)....

If it's coroplast (corrugated plastic), I'd drop at least one side. I didn't really have the choice. When I filled my 50+ gallon fresh water tank to sanitize it, it mushed down between the 2 minor side-to-side rails... the rails were too far apart on one end and the tank flexed. Forest River Wildcat service had me bridge rail to rail with pieces of wooden fence boards knowing I was taking the trailer to Goshen, IN for my 1st International Rally. While there, they replaced my fence boards with thicker treated lumber (yep, that'd what they said!). That was August, 2015 and I've had no problems with the tank since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA95D89F-7BBE-48FA-B7D6-051F1D7C68C1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	297165   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F86C6ED-0D36-48B3-847B-216397797F56.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	297166  

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:25 PM   #18

Quote:
..... We're going to fix this ourselves, but I'm wondering if we should take down the underlayment and look at everything or just weld or bolt additional support while leaving the underlayment in place (looks like a PITA to remove)....
There is no need to remove all of the coroplast. You can cut a 3 sided access hole as already suggested ("hinge side" of the flap to the front of the trailer), or remove a vent (there should be at least one) and use an industrial endoscope to see what is in there.

There are several threads with pictures showing how some users have used Superstrut to support the tank. A quick search using the search tool should find those threads.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:56 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks all and sorry for coming off so negative off the bat... there are a lot of things that I do like about this camper (2022 FR Primetime Avenger 24BHS), and this can easily be fixed to better than new by my husband. The warranty I have is Northstar Liberty lifetime limited and was part of the deal from Unlimited RV here in Independence MO (Home of the lifetime warranty). The sales people were so awesome but then as soon as service was needed it was a totally different experience. We're going to fix this ourselves, but I'm wondering if we should take down the underlayment and look at everything or just weld or bolt additional support while leaving the underlayment in place (looks like a PITA to remove). Is there a chance the tank could slide around and damage the plumbing connections? Thanks in advance!
Since you mention in your 1st post that the tank fell down, I would want to know whether there is any damage or anything out of place so I would be removing the belly material or at the very least, cutting a "flap" in to have a look.

Once you know that outcome, you could either completely remove the belly material and do a fix that way or put everything back in place and do a strut type repair that mounts to the frame beam flanges. Again, there are likely hundreds of threads on tanks dropping and how those folks repaired them. How YOU choose to repair yours is totally up to you.

Finding out that service after the sale is almost non-existent, is also another well documented issue on R/V forums. Many dealers are smooching you to get your money and then not so much afterwards, especially, once they sold you an overpriced forever warranty and advised you that you can go anywhere for service. Good luck with that. You will be at the bottom of any other dealers list for an appointment and that's if they will even work on it.

Best of luck to you and I hope you soon can enjoy your R/V and post threads about how much fun you are having.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
overpriced forever warranty and advised you that you can go anywhere for service. Good luck with that. You will be at the bottom of any other dealers list for an appointment and that's if they will even work on it.

100% accurate. Usually the first question is "did you buy it here"? When the answer is no, they won't work with you. The dealer where I bought mine is 2 hours away. It's usually easier and cheaper for me to either fix it myself or just pay for the repair with a local repair shop that I trust.

Happy travels!