Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

Ok everyone I have a question. I'm going on a 300 mile trip and i've been told that I need to wait and fill me fresh water tank when i get their due to it would hurt the tank. I've also been told that it's ok to fill the tank and travel with is full. The problem is they dont have water there. can someone please help me?? Thanks
JBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAR View Post
Ok everyone I have a question. I'm going on a 300 mile trip and i've been told that I need to wait and fill me fresh water tank when i get their due to it would hurt the tank. I've also been told that it's ok to fill the tank and travel with is full. The problem is they dont have water there. can someone please help me?? Thanks
Can you get water in the town before?

Don't know why you couldn't travel with water but why haul the extra weight.
In some cases a full water tank may overload your hitch weight or be over gross.
Seems most people run on the edge of tow capacity as it is and 35 gal of water will weight over 240 lbs

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

You can travel with your fresh water tank filled. It will add several hundred pounds to the weight you are pulling, and if you only partially fill it, it may cause 'chocking' to some degree as the water sloshes back and forth in the tank. I prefer to travel with my fresh water tank empty just so I'm carrying less weight, but I don't dry camp, either.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I have seen photos of fresh water tanks with absolute minimum supports. A full tank of water could cause you trouble.

My Flagstaff had a plywood support and I would have no trouble traveling (and have done so to a campsite with no services for the weekend) with it full.

I would "take a peek" and look at how yours it is secured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 021.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	23011  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Team

we almost always travel with a full tank. unless you have some hinky supports under your tank, there's no reason why you can't.

we prefer to have our home water to use first.
plus that barn door front of the trailer will affect your gas mileage way more than the extra weight of the water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't indicate what you're towing, but the impact of a full water tank may have a dramatic effect on the tongue (or pin) weight depending on the size of the tank and where it's located.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Most camp sites or camp areas have water available when entering the camping area. Normally close to their dump site, why near the dump site I DON"T KNOW.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Most camp sites or camp areas have water available when entering the camping area. Normally close to their dump site, why near the dump site I DON"T KNOW.
I would be careful using a water spigot located at or near a dump site. Most (if not all) have labels saying "non-potable" and is to be used only for flushing the area if there is a spill, flushing out your sewer hose prior to putting it away, and hooking up to your Turboflush (NEVER for drinking).

For those who may not know what that means non-potable means the water is either bad (poisonous), or contaminated (do not drink ever), or not tested for human consumption but assumed bad.

Most campgrounds that have dump stations have their fresh water spigot some distance from their dump area and labeled "fresh water" or "drinking water."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote