Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Fresh water tank filling when connected to city water

As the title says... We have a 2020 Geo Pro 19fd. My water pressure gauge was set to 40-45 psi. This just started and I don't know why. Any ideas would be appreciated. No other problems to report. Great trailer.
Meateater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meateater View Post
As the title says... We have a 2020 Geo Pro 19fd. My water pressure gauge was set to 40-45 psi. This just started and I don't know why. Any ideas would be appreciated. No other problems to report. Great trailer.
Stuck check valve on water pump.
Hundreds of posts here about this common issue. A quick search will get you weeks of reading about it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

All I see is people running water pump when connected to city water. Been searching for an hour now.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Sometimes with newer trailers debris in the plumbing lines gets caught in the water pump check valve. You can try and clear it out by:

1) Disconnect from City water;
2) Turn on water pump;
3) Open and close water faucets over and over to make the pump run on and off to try and clear debris from the valve;
4) Turn pump off and reconnect to city water.

You might have to go through the above sequence several times to get it fixed.

Good luck

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks... yes I did that. I think I'm going to disconnect the pump and blow air through. I was hoping there was a simpler problem that my simple brain didn't figure out. Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #6

The simple thing is to turn off the city connection and just use your water pump, now that your tank is full.
This is the most common issue on this forum, probably comes up once a week. Stuck check valve at the water pump.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Turn off city water
Open faucets until no water pressure
Turn on water pump
Open faucet
Turn off water pump
Once there is no pressure on the lines you can turn the city water back on.

This has happened to me twice (the check valve getting stuck) and the above steps worked each time.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

I don't know how the Geo is configured but in my Rockwood the shower has a bypass valve that, when opened, will divert water into the fresh water tank. That happened recently when a couple had just bought a Rockwood and the DW used the diverter to stop the shower: "Well the water stopped coming out." Just a thought. Very well could be the water pump.
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Water

As others said, it is the check valve off the water pump. Especially on new units, it just takes a small piece of construction trash to hold that valve open and that allows the FW tank to be filled. I had to do mine several time to get the trash out. Empty you low water drains w/ city water off and hot water heater off. And take the valve apart. It has a small screen in it that can be cleaned out.
If someone (DW) turns pump on and it has more water pressure than city water, it can sometimes do the same thing on my trailer.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #10

I have a 2304 DS. Mine does the same thing. Look in the shower, there is a water saver lever you can use to shut off the shower head when soaping up, etc. if you use this lever when connected to city water, it will fill and overflow your fresh water tank. This is a known issue to Forest River, as they have a sticker in the shower warning this will happen. This lever is only to be used when running off the fresh water supply and the water pump.
lesgemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #11

If you have debris in your fresh water water pump check valve and you 'blow it out', you may just blow the junk into a place that you do not want it and the valve will really be stuck open.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #12

Had the same issue last time out.
It was my mistake. We were on city water and I set the valves to system use rather than city water hook up.
It wasn’t until the next day I saw water dripping from the open fresh water tank drain valve.
Even with the valves set incorrectly the fresh water tank should have not taken water.
I had to reset the pump check valve by filling the fresh water tank enough to run the pump. Once the lines pressured up and the pump turned off I knew the check valve reset (took a few times opening and closing a faucet). I then turned the pump switch off and swung valves to city water.
No issue after this.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #13

Note that if the standard measures for curing the problem don't work...you do NOT have to get a new water pump. Camco sells a screw on water check valve that you can just put in line to solve the problem for a few bucks.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-1-...s&locale=en-US
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, fresh water, tank, water, water tank