Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Flush

Hi,
When I went through the walk-through of my new RV I THOUGHT I was videoing...but alas for the first side of the RV all I did was take a picture under the hood so I missed details (I'm sure I forgot) I missed details on flushing the tank. AND the download Manuel does not give details and I can't find a manual in the RV for my Orion.

This is what I don't understand..."Do not use Tank Flush Valves unless fullway Termination Valve is in the open position." Where is the tank flush valve and termination valve? I'm so new to this...

Also is the pump switch tied to the inside pump switch?

Hopefully the photo of my water fill panel uploaded!?!

Thanks in advance for any help. I so enjoyed reading this forum before I bought my RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orion Water Fill.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	177908  
Carole55066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

I believe the tank flush is for the black tank. I’ve never seen one for the gray for fresh water tanks. Your termination valve is the valve you open to empty your black water tank. You want that opened when flushing out the tank.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #3

Right now, you have your hose connected to the “city” water inlet and the blue switch above it is in the position to fill your fresh water tank or for winterization. Flip the blue switch down if you are trying to get the water working at your fixtures inside the RV. The white hose inlet to the left of your hose is where you connect to flush your black tank only. If you want to flush the black tank, connect a hose here and open the black tank dump valve. There is no on/off switch or valve for your black tank flush. When you turn the water on to thee hose, the black tank will begin to flush.

Bruce
Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

When asking question, you might post your exact model/brand of trailer.

That's a common warning label. It's on everyone's.

It means that when you are pumping water into your black tank to flush it, don't leave your black tank valve shut. If you do, and get distracted, it could cause damage to black tank or the floor above it, or any manner of things.

That said, after years of experience, I STAND THERE while flushing and close the valve to make the black tank fill with water, and THEN open the dump valve. But you better not walk away!!!!!!! And you better know "when". I have a hose permanently attached to flush inlet and it's never used for anything else.

Black tanks dump way better when full of water, and so I shut that valve for a bit to get it full before dumping. In fact, I repeat this back and forth........I just leave the flush running into tank, then open/close/open/close valve as needed until it's clear. Then I shut off flush hose and open the tank and go do other stuff for a while till it's done dumping. Then close valve and head out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

2018 Coachmen OrionTB

I thought that was by the outdoor shower, AND I had to go out and look LOL I DON'T HAVE AN OUTDOOR SHOWER. Duh. Now it all makes sense. THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Jeff

And yes the red switch is tied to your water pump so you can turn the pump on/off from outside if desired. The white switch is a little led for working there in the dark. I have exactly the same setup on my 2017 Leprechaun. I agree totally with everything else re dumping and flushing the black tank - I use the same process as BandJ.
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

I wondered about the white switch when I couldn't find a light in there, but I know even that little bit of light will help in the dark. I so appreciate all the tips, I could probably read instruction manuals all day, but hearing about personal experiences and warnings will go along way in helping me remember. Thank you so much everybody!
Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Jeff

What make and model is your rig, Carole? And there is a ton of reading for sure!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcf0527 View Post
What make and model is your rig, Carole? And there is a ton of reading for sure!
Her profile says 2018 Coachmen Orion.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Jeff

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 AM   #11

I'm sorry I missed your messages. I was on the roof of the RV putting on vent covers, good job done.

I guess I'll wait until I get to a campsite that has some tasty water before I totally flush the freshwater. I was hoping to have some good Melbourne city water on board. I filled the tank half way, and I guess I'll just put a drop of chlorine in the water or boil water when washing dishes.

Yes I have a 2018 Orion TB. Or I guess Orion T21TB. Just like this one. https://www.rvt.com/Coachmen-Orion-T...753620-UX52392

I made some fold down legs using these https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-32754.../dp/B001DSXSBQ and I have a feeling will leave it set up as a king size bed most of the time. It's just me and the long legged dog...I can climb over the bed to get to the little girls room fairly easily? TMI? :0) The sliding/pocket door makes it possible. We'll see.

I had really wanted a 2018 REV24CB Rev Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax thinking I could always get one...not to be.

Have a good week everybody. And again THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFORMATION!
Carole J
Old 07-02-2018, 04:53 AM   #12

I think you got everything you need from other comments but would just note 2 things. First the flush for black tanks is completely separate from the fresh system, so no contamination possible but I use a separate hose anyway. Second, if you have sufficient water pressure you should hear splashing against the sides of the tank. When it stops, Time to open valve to drain. I always try to fill the black tank with water before flushing and I flush a couple of times after initial draining.

And they could have said make sure your black tank Drain valve is open prior to flushing. Would have saved some head scratching. Oh, and after flushing put 3 or 4 gallons in black tank with chemicals. Makes life so much easier
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Jeff

Sage advice for sure, old-hippies[emoji57]
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_hippies View Post
I think you got everything you need from other comments but would just note 2 things. First the flush for black tanks is completely separate from the fresh system, so no contamination possible but I use a separate hose anyway. Second, if you have sufficient water pressure you should hear splashing against the sides of the tank. When it stops, Time to open valve to drain. I always try to fill the black tank with water before flushing and I flush a couple of times after initial draining.

And they could have said make sure your black tank Drain valve is open prior to flushing. Would have saved some head scratching. Oh, and after flushing put 3 or 4 gallons in black tank with chemicals. Makes life so much easier

I know for the city water connection you need a pressure regulator, what about for the black tank flush?
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
Jeff

I don’t use one for that.

Tags
flush, fresh water, tank, water, water tank