Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Exclamation Fresh water tank not falling out!

After much hand wringing reading posts about water tanks coming loose and falling out on the highway, I am happy to report the Geo Pro (Rockwood) I've been using for past 2 years does not seem to have that issue. I always travel with at least 1/3 tank of water, and last trip they shut off all water at park due to freezing temps. I cringed filling my tank at home all the way to the top before embarking on trip after reading those posts.

Just winterized, and while draining remainder of fresh tank, inspected tank and supports, all seems well. It is a 30g tank, held in place by an angle iron along each of the long sides welded to frame, and 3 lateral supports.

While I feel for those of you that had catastrophes, people normally start posts about things that DON'T work right, i think it's important to hear when they DO work right, minimizes anxiety!!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Quote:
i think it's important to hear when they DO work right, minimizes anxiety!!
thanks for these words of wisdom!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post

While I feel for those of you that had catastrophes, people normally start posts about things that DON'T work right, i think it's important to hear when they DO work right, minimizes anxiety!!
I too have never had issues with my water tank. Never leave home with it empty and supports are still as strong as they were when I drove it home. Did have some "sag" but that was easily rectified.

I believe that the normal course of events on Forums is that someone has a problem, posts about their problem. Others read it. Some have had similar/same problems however the majority have not. Unfortunately the next time someone inquires about filling the water tank or even traveling with water in the tank way triggers all kinds of responses telling how you DON'T WANT TO DO THAT as it will cause your tank to fall out. Often from people who haven't had an issue but just read about it.

Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time but most accounts usually don't tell the full story of how it happened. Was it an actual factory flaw? Or did someone stuff a hose in the fill pipe and fill the tank faster than the vent could relieve pressure? Did someone put a valve/cap on an overfill pipe and forget to remove when filling the tank from a pressure fill port?

Roughly a half million RV's are sold each year with probably the majority being Travel Trailers. If water tanks were falling out by the droves we should be seeing tanks littering the highways --------yet I don't recall seeing a single one in my travels. Pieces of tires, lawn chairs, coolers, and all kinds of miscellaneous items that fall off but no water tanks.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

I agree that the majority of us don't have problems with tanks falling out. All of my RVs have had real angle iron and not the flimsy straps that some have.
But that info doesn't help the owners of the many 'lite' models where the tank falling out problem is more prevalent.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
But that info doesn't help the owners of the many 'lite' models where the tank falling out problem is more prevalent.
I don't know what qualifies at 'lite', but my 20' trailer is 2800lbs. The only thing that little guy doesn't have is a washing machine and dishwasher!
Old 11-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

I never really considered this being a problem! I nearly always leave with a full FW tank, since I mostly boondock/dry camp. Well, so far so good! I'll report back if mine goes bouncing down the interstate.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

Probably ought to try to correlate tank support failures with model years. I somehow have the impression that this used to be a problem but occurred enough that newer models are sturdier in this area.

Kris, yours is pretty new, right?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

2 seasons on it Larry. Looks solid. There is a bit of sag in the tank bottom between supports, but it appears normal.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

Water tank fell out

I have had 6 trailers, some TT's and others 5th wheels. The only one that the tank fell down on the front axle is the travel trailer I have now. It's a 35' Heritage Glen Lite and the problem was they never secured the cage that held the tank in place so the whole thing came forward when stopping and dropped down on the front axle. It wound up being covered under warranty and they fixed it and replaced secured the torn plastic that covers the bottom of the trailer. 6 months later, I was back at the dealer with the same problem and the mechanic that supposedly fixed it just shoved the cage back in place without welding or securing it. The dealer fixed it again and this time welded it in place. Now I haven't pealed the underside away to see how they did, but this season I was able to go 4 times with a full complement of water like these things are designed to do. I like the water I get from my home because I know what I'm getting instead of trusting whatever they have at some of these campgrounds.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #10

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people on here realize that the sky is not falling. Nor are 99% of tanks. :-)
I for one appreciate hearing the bad stories. For my own edification and on the small chance I may be able to help. But more than likely I learn something.
Thanks everyone for your posts. Positive or negative.

Have fun!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Now you went ahead and jinxed it!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Now you went ahead and jinxed it!
Mea Culpa...........................

Keeping my fingers crossed now!
Attached Images

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #13

We fill our 58 gallon tank to the brim and drive hundreds of miles with it full like that. So far so good and it hasn't fallen out yet. Now our kitchen sink, that's another story LOL!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #14

Me too. We've always tried to arrive at the campground with a full water tank. Even big State Parks can have water problems. Not long ago we arrived at Jonathan Dickinson State Park and were told they were having water problems and the repair would take a day or two. We used our tank water.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Me too. We've always tried to arrive at the campground with a full water tank. Even big State Parks can have water problems. Not long ago we arrived at Jonathan Dickinson State Park and were told they were having water problems and the repair would take a day or two. We used our tank water.
About 30 years ago my wife and I checked into a private RV park in Idaho. We'd been on the road a couple days and water tank was almost empty. Our plan was to shower in the AM using campground water and I'd fill the tank while prepping to leave.

Lightning storm moved through and we woke to no power. No power also meant no water as campground was on well water.

Since then I fill the tank before leaving home or anytime I've had water in a campground.

I can generate power but not water for drinking, showers, or washing dishes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #16

The problem with Rockwoods must have been real. Within the past few years, they changed how they hang them to fix it. I doubt they would have done that without cause.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #17

Ours has not fallen out yet **Knock on wood** and we fill it up before heading out all the Time because we boon dock most of the time. I am surprised at the lack of lateral supports under the tank as the author mentioned on theirs. The tank is supported along the side by the angle iron mounted to the frame.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #18

After reading about problems with the water tanks, I checked mine. It has some support from the frame, but the bottom has 2 pieces of plastic strapping that hold it in place. I plan to run a metal piece across the bottom and secure it to the frame as extra support, but will still run with not a full tank because my owners manual says not to do so. I will carry my own drinking water separately, and fill the tanks with enough to get me through the trip with judicious water use.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #19

The stories of these apparent ‘defects’ of tires blowing out with no possible contributing factors, such as under/over inflation or excessive speed, isn’t credible. I also don’t find a plethora of falling tanks, making traveling with water a problem also makes no sense. Yes, there are possible manufacturing defects, but I doubt the intrinsic design flaws are the culprit. If we believed our TT had these problems, I would sell it.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #20

I think strengthening the support is a good idea. However, I've been towing trailers with full water tanks for 55 years and have never had one fall out. But, if some day the bottom cover has to be removed I will certainly have it reinforced but I'll always carry plenty of water. We've had too many times over the years when we were glad we had it.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank