Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Fresh water Tank Only Filling to 1/3

We haven't had any problem filling the tank full except when the fill line started leaking (and repaired) a couple months ago. Yesterday after doing a sanitizing I drained the tank (which was full) then tried to refill to flush. The tank would only accept to 1/3 on the panel readout . To confirm it wasn't the sensor on something, I ran the pump to drain out what was in the tank. In about 5 minute the tank was empty. Tried it again and same results.

I'm thinking the vent line maybe water logged, it has 3 dips in the line that surly would collect water. While under the trailer I noticed the bottom of the tank is 3/4" from the axle, and that's at 1/3 full. It has all three straps and everything looks in tact. It would seem even a parking lot speed bump would cause the axle to hit the tank. And there is a leak at the fill tube connection.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

OK so from your thread it's a new trailer. When you say it only fills to a third. Does water shoot out from the filler? This is normal. Keep filling until
your gauge inside shows full.
As to the axle possibly hitting the fresh water tank. You'd better put a piece of foam or other thicker material in between. If you take it in to the dealer my experience is they will "fix" the trailer to the specs from the manufacturer. Nothing more. Translation: if the manufacturer hasn't placed
a piece of foam above the axle neither will the dealer.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Yes it is still under warranty, and coincidentally going in on Monday for another issue. I did try to slow fill after it began leaking back out the gravity fill port and it wouldn't take the water.

When the tank is bulging down (@1/3 full) it appear the pickup is a couple inches higher than the bottom of the tank. I had noticed in the past that once the water is drained out using the pump, the low point drain still allows several gallons to drain out till completely empty.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

Normally I would think that it shouldn't let any water into the fill if the feed pipe is plugged or partially crimped. If you hook up to city water does your
taps run at normal pressure?
Better demonstrate to the dealer what is happening. Otherwise I'm baffled. Let me think about it today.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Just A Member

You probably have water in the vent hose. If you have a air compressor try blowing air in through the vent screen and then try to fill again. I had a loop in my vent hose and it did the same thing until I rerouted and shortened the hose. It would build enough pressure to deform the bottom of the tank and then blow water out the vent. If you can remove one end of the vent hose do that and then try to fill again. If it works shorten that hose.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Defective Tank Design!

FYI for all, defective Tank Design!!!!

First I am so $^$*&$% at this forum software. My initial reply was lost as I did not hit the submit button and lost everything I typed while adding the pictures.

MY PDI dealer left the fresh water tank apx 1/2 full. 20-25 gallons (8.35 x 20 = 167 pounds) of the supposed 43 gallon (359#s) tank. From the pictures you can see that my fresh water tank supports collapsed and the plastic tank "oozes" through.

The tank is designed with 2 lateral (front and rear edge of tank) and 2 fore and aft (apx mid tank) 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron supports. The fwd support is welded in and the rear is bolted in. The 2 fore and aft supports "slide" into a slot.

I contacted FR and they were 100% cooperative as they seemed to expect calls on this design issue. It seemed to me that the designers did not think anyone fills their tanks completely. FR offered to send me new replacement support parts, but the defect problem would just repeat itself!

I offered to R&R, Redesign and Install a proper solution. I cut out the collapsed fwd support and removed the tank. I installed Q2 - 4"x3"x1/4" aluminum T bar fwd and aft lateral supports and Q5 2"x2"x1/4" fore & aft tank supports. This eliminated all "oozing" and 100% supports the filled tank weight. It is also SS bolted vs welded it in allowing for future tank servicing and/or replacement. This solution only added a net of 20 pounds to the TT original supports. I could have eliminated some additional weight with "circles", but not necessary.

Additional Items:

• The water hoses have TOO few clamps and WILL pull out from the floor. Mine did. I installed additional hose clamps and Tie Wraps too.
  • The waste tanks have this same design defect too. They do not even have fore & aft supports. Some Good news, they only have a 28 vs 43 gallon capacity. I will NOT exceed 10-15 Gallons when ever possible before dumping!!!! I will not drive with anything over 5-10 gallons.
  • My R&R Design eliminates hose up and down nearly eliminating vacuum problems, but the tank is still only capable of being filled to apx 38 vs 43 gallons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Bulge fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	1411
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	116914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collapse 01sm.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	116915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under sm.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	116916  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Just A Member

Yup that's what they look like. Nice job on the supports. Mine will be next.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

I'm thinking when the leaking fill tube was repaired they changed the vent hose routing. I would guess there is water in the hose as suggested so when it goes in on Monday I will ask them to eliminate the sags in the vent line. I'd do it myself but don't want to get blamed for some failure later on plus it will be documented.

I'm almost looking forward to being out of warranty on this trailer. I know my repairs will be permanent and done right. This is our sixth trip to the dealer and none of the items have been petty cosmetic stuff. I started out in residential production (tract) construction customer service and none of this would get by our staff or myself when correcting foreseen mistakes. Sure a few items are to be expected but we are have trouble with several major components.(Rant over)

The supports you installed 25FKS look to be a nice solution, well done. My tank bulges around the (3) straps also and it seems just be a matter of time before it splits or ruptures. Guess I need to keep an eye on the holding tanks also.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #9

Dealer said "It is What it is" so I'll figure it out and fix the venting problem. The tank bottom being 1/2" from the front axle is something I need to follow up with F.R. though.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
FYI for all, defective Tank Design!!!!

First I am so $^$*&$% at this forum software. My initial reply was lost as I did not hit the submit button and lost everything I typed while adding the pictures.

MY PDI dealer left the fresh water tank apx 1/2 full. 20-25 gallons (8.35 x 20 = 167 pounds) of the supposed 43 gallon (359#s) tank. From the pictures you can see that my fresh water tank supports collapsed and the plastic tank "oozes" through.

The tank is designed with 2 lateral (front and rear edge of tank) and 2 fore and aft (apx mid tank) 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron supports. The fwd support is welded in and the rear is bolted in. The 2 fore and aft supports "slide" into a slot.

I contacted FR and they were 100% cooperative as they seemed to expect calls on this design issue. It seemed to me that the designers did not think anyone fills their tanks completely. FR offered to send me new replacement support parts, but the defect problem would just repeat itself!

I offered to R&R, Redesign and Install a proper solution. I cut out the collapsed fwd support and removed the tank. I installed Q2 - 4"x3"x1/4" aluminum T bar fwd and aft lateral supports and Q5 2"x2"x1/4" fore & aft tank supports. This eliminated all "oozing" and 100% supports the filled tank weight. It is also SS bolted vs welded it in allowing for future tank servicing and/or replacement. This solution only added a net of 20 pounds to the TT original supports. I could have eliminated some additional weight with "circles", but not necessary.

Additional Items:

• The water hoses have TOO few clamps and WILL pull out from the floor. Mine did. I installed additional hose clamps and Tie Wraps too.
  • The waste tanks have this same design defect too. They do not even have fore & aft supports. Some Good news, they only have a 28 vs 43 gallon capacity. I will NOT exceed 10-15 Gallons when ever possible before dumping!!!! I will not drive with anything over 5-10 gallons.
  • My R&R Design eliminates hose up and down nearly eliminating vacuum problems, but the tank is still only capable of being filled to apx 38 vs 43 gallons.

Wow, you stole my pictures. I had those copyrighted
Seriously the 1st and 2nd pictures are almost exactly the same as what happened to my supports, right down to the kink at the punched slot.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water tank, water, fresh water, tank