Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You can either 'hope' there is water available somewhere nearby, scramble around trying to find some somewhere and then have the resources to get it pumped into your rig... or... simply fill your tank before leaving and have what you need on arrival and start to enjoy your destination.

After reading so many posts from people who remember 'that time' when they got to park, and water was shut down for some reason, or the water isn't so great, it's nice to know I have a tank with good perfect limestone filtered well water for drinking, from my own excellent well. I always make sure we have at least a third of tank full if traveling to a park with water, full tank when going to parks without water. They shut water off at parks around here by 10/31 often, but you can still camp.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
You got to remember water weighs about 8 lb per gal.They make these trailers as lite as possible so the brackets on them isn't as strong as you think.I been camping over 25 yrs and and never carry water in none of my trailers bc of that.I carry a couple of gal in case we need to use the bathroom.
Yes, water is heavy. Yes, mfr's make trailers as light as they can. That said they still make the water tank supports heavy enough to hold a full tank of water -----------UNLESS-------- the owner overfills the tank and the swelling that causes is more than the tank supports were designed to handle. Because of the large area of the tank's interior, it only takes a few pounds of water pressure backed up inside because the inlet is blocked by the fill hose, to destroy the brackets.

Proper tank filling will keep tanks from falling out, it's that simple.

Interesting how all these strange customs have taken root in the RV world. No water in the tanks, water in tanks should never be drunk, Used TP goes in a waste can-never in the holding tank, first thing you do with your new trailer is remove the factory filter and replace with a cheap inline filter that passes 10X larger particles, etc.

Makes me wonder why people buy the RV's they do when they are so clearly "flawed".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

Oh crap, you're not supposed to drink the RV water????

Nice knowing my fresh tank can't be overfilled. The inlet is so large (like a vacuum cleaner hose), you can hear it about to overflow. And even with hose poked in it, if you overfill, it will start gushing out around the fill hose.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Oh crap, you're not supposed to drink the RV water????

Nice knowing my fresh tank can't be overfilled. The inlet is so large (like a vacuum cleaner hose), you can hear it about to overflow. And even with hose poked in it, if you overfill, it will start gushing out around the fill hose.
78 years of drinking tap water and over 40 of them drinking water out of RV tanks. Even drank water out of US Army "Water Buffalo's". Maybe I've developed an immunity to all the things people fear live in their water tanks.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #45

Quote:
You can either 'hope' there is water available somewhere nearby, scramble around trying to find some somewhere and then have the resources to get it pumped into your rig... or... simply fill your tank before leaving and have what you need on arrival and start to enjoy your destination.
I don't go no where there isn't any water
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I don't go no where there isn't any water
I know several who used to think that too... until there wasn't any.
But this is one of those topics... no one way wrong, no one way right. It's whatever YOU are comfortable with.
Camp on!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #47

I agree
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #48

Quote:
But this is one of those topics... no one way wrong, no one way right. It's whatever YOU are comfortable with.
Camp on!
I agree. And you guys have a safe summer
Old 04-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Camp on!
Well put. I agree.
Safe Travels everyone.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #50

I have a Rockwood Ultralite. I travel with a full tank of water not only to have fresh water but when the tank is full that weight is in the back of the trailer it balances the load and decreases the tongue weight. Only have about 2K on my trailer as I have not been on any very long trips. Hope that adds to the conversation.

Mike
Mselu08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #51

Apparently, I am not the first to discover the unprofessionalism and incompetence in the RV Industry! Here was my fix 5 years ago. They still haven't learned or want to.

FR wouldn't pay for my labor, only materials - under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	254726  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Apparently, I am not the first to discover the unprofessionalism and incompetence in the RV Industry! Here was my fix 5 years ago. They still haven't learned or want to.

Looks great. I wish I could see whats above the coroplast on mine before I do something like this. They screwed the coroplast from above, so no way to remove it and look. FR just last week agreed to replace my tank. So hoping to at least find out how to remove the very large cover and make sure nothing is under the tank as I know replacing the tank isn't going to fix anything other than the clamp they failed to put on a hose that leaks up there! The tank will likely still be thin and sag down to the axle like it does now. Yup, it actually touches the axle when full after a couple hours! Hopefully by my third year of ownership, I will actually be able to use my new TT !! They did finally as of 2 weeks ago fix the other 22 items that were defective. Just need water now and we can use it!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #53

Yep, sags down - Both the tank and the metal!!!
Here are before pictures.
Pathetic - There response was, "Why do you travel with full tanks?"

After 3 months moved on to an RV - It only gets significantly worse! First and last TT and RV. When I had to replace the windshield, that was it! RV required me filing in court with a lawyer due to over 70+ warranty items they gave me the finger. I prevailed and FR paid $$$$$.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fwd Frame Cross Member Collapse sm.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	254746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank & Frame Bulges fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	254747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Bulge fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	254748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collapse 01sm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	254749  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #54
Trailer Park Supervisor

That is messed up. I just checked my tank supports again, mine are fine still. 270S, just curious, in those pics, what size water tank? Mine is about 30g. I try to keep only 10 or 15g in it on the road. I only have the 2 front to back angle irons too, and my tank floor sags a bit like yours when full.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #55

My tank is directly over the front axle, so it only sags until it hits the axle. FR told me the axle doesn't move enough to cause any issue!! They also said I shouldn't travel with water in it. I only dry camp and no where I go is there a well and faucet out in the boondocks! So I guess it's it's my fault due to not using campgrounds. How foolish of me.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #56
Trailer Park Supervisor

There is nowhere in Forest River literature that says the tanks are not made to withstand travel. That is nuts. I had to travel with a full water tank end of last season, as they cut all the water off at our destination before the end of October. I continue to keep a close eye on the supports. 3rd season, hoping if they haven't failed yet, they wont.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #57
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
There is nowhere in Forest River literature that says the tanks are not made to withstand travel. That is nuts. I had to travel with a full water tank end of last season, as they cut all the water off at our destination before the end of October. I continue to keep a close eye on the supports. 3rd season, hoping if they haven't failed yet, they wont.
Kris, One thing you might consider doing is drilling a small hole in the tab that fits through the slot and stick a safety pin through it. Its easy to do and if your main support ever bends it'll keep your tank support from popping out of the slot and your tank will stay with the TT.

Some of the newer Geo Pro/E Pro's have a self tapping screw through the tab
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	254784  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #58
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks Hangdiver, good idea.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #59

Has anyone actually braced a tank in a Greywolf MK23? If so could you provide pix? Also, any pix of using unistrut on this TT would be helpful. FR is going to replace my tank, but I don't figure that will actually stop the sagging and with the tank being right over the axle, I will need to do something.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post

The tank suspension design was improved on my 2020 Mini-Lite.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank