Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #61

I’m now over 3,000 miles from home, keeping about 2/3 to 3/4 tank of water at all times, 16 - 18 gallons, and no issues yet. I’m using the not so professional looking strapping job that I posted in post #11. I added 2 more straps, for a total of 5 across the bottom of the tank.
On this trip I’ve been on dusty dirt roads, mud roads, washboard dirt roads, and interstate that I thought would shake the Wolf Pup apart. So far I’m seeing no signs of fatigue in the hanger straps or factory supports.
I’ll continue to keep an eye on it.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #62

Fresh water tank fell out

2019 forest river vengeance 388v16 literally owned it 20 days. Setting at RV park for a week now and both fresh water tank straps sheered the bolts and tank is now hanging/ leaking. I know I saw one post about this but nothing newer model wise. Just don’t get how you can manufacture some thing this long and a tank can simply fall out. I am a previous diesel mechanic so know all the ins and outs of wrench turning but this is simply unacceptable. Yes I bought warranty coverage but guess what I’m out in the stix and no one in McAlester Oklahoma can get to me in u fee 2 weeks . Not really complaining as much as I would like a “hey here is what ya need to do “ because forest river takes care of its purchasers
Thoughts comments welcomed
Crazyoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Not really complaining as much as I would like a “hey here is what ya need to do “ because forest river takes care of its purchasers
at least you are stationary and does effect your quality of living that much... empty the tank, tie it up to get home and you can probably fix it better yourself then the dealer ever would...

sux that you have to do it to a new unit, but that is the state of QC these days

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyoffroader View Post
2019 forest river vengeance 388v16 literally owned it 20 days. Setting at RV park for a week now and both fresh water tank straps sheered the bolts and tank is now hanging/ leaking. I know I saw one post about this but nothing newer model wise. Just don’t get how you can manufacture some thing this long and a tank can simply fall out. I am a previous diesel mechanic so know all the ins and outs of wrench turning but this is simply unacceptable. Yes I bought warranty coverage but guess what I’m out in the stix and no one in McAlester Oklahoma can get to me in u fee 2 weeks . Not really complaining as much as I would like a “hey here is what ya need to do “ because forest river takes care of its purchasers
In my second season with my brand new 2020 FR Greywolf that I can't use due to my FW tank falling out. Dealer claims they are still waiting for a new one. I only boondock, so I need a water tank! No more FR's for me. Had a Keystone that never needed anything replaced in 20 years. Boy I miss that TT!! Have had 23 issues with the new one and all in my yard!!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #65
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
In my second season with my brand new 2020 FR Greywolf that I can't use due to my FW tank falling out. Dealer claims they are still waiting for a new one. I only boondock, so I need a water tank! No more FR's for me. Had a Keystone that never needed anything replaced in 20 years. Boy I miss that TT!! Have had 23 issues with the new one and all in my yard!!
Have you contacted FR directly?
I realize the R/V industry has supply issues but going into a 2nd season of ownership without some kind of resolve sounds like a dealer issue.

I'd also be considering some kind of bladder/tank for in the bed of my tow vehicle and getting out camping.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Have you contacted FR directly?
I realize the R/V industry has supply issues but going into a 2nd season of ownership without some kind of resolve sounds like a dealer issue.

I'd also be considering some kind of bladder/tank for in the bed of my tow vehicle and getting out camping.
I have and so far they have authorized all the repairs. The tank is the last item on order. They also still need to fix the entry door, since they removed it to replace the Infurrion refrigerator. When they put it back in they plumb it up in either direction and now the door hits at the top and the seal at the bottom is out a quarter from the siding! Also, scratched all the way down the left side of the siding by the frame with the caulking gun!
FR said they can only authorize the work, but can't force the dealer to do it. They offered to send my claims to another dealer, but when I called them they had no interest in fixing my dealers troubles! I do carry 30 gals in the truck so we can sorta use the TT. Last year was kinda miserable not having a working fridge or awning. Fixed the brakes myself, they were backed all the way off!
I don't start my heavy camping until the 1st of August, so being hopeful we get it fixed by then.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
... I do carry 30 gals in the truck so we can sorta use the TT. ...
I added a jumper hose between the output of the water pump and the intake from the fresh water tank, using an additional bypass valve. By turning it and the antifreeze valve I can use the water pump to fill my fresh tank, which is intact, from a water bladder in my truck. (Credit goes to someone else on this forum. I don't recall who.)

Using a similar approach, you can connect a water bladder in the bed of the truck to the antifreeze inlet by a hose. Shift the antifreeze bypass valve at the water pump to draw from the antifreeze inlet. You don't even have to add the extra hose and valve. That would defeat your purpose.

No, it's not as good as having a water tank but it beats keeping water in a bucket for the toilet.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #68
Retired Old Fart

Ours had 2 thin c-channel cross members under the fresh water tank on the outside of the coroplast that were just screwed to the trailer frame with self tapping screws (it did also have the usual L brackets inside the coroplast). Replaced them with a 1/4" thick steel c-channel 3" wide and held in place with 1/2" bolts, not self tapping screws. Stronger than the trailer frame!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #69

I have an Adrenaline with a 100g FW tank. My dealership called me to warn me about the issue they have found on several trailers. The back of the tank sits on an L bracket, but there is a gap between the front of the tank and the crossbeam in front of it, so if the tank is full and you hit the brakes the tank slides forward and falls of the L bracket. Supposedly FR is fixing the design on new ones, but I am going to fix mine, since my dealership is about 8 hours away, and no local shops can get to it until at least September. I am also going to replace the cheap C channel supports underneath with solid steel LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AT THE FACTORY!

If FR is going to continue to make crap products, then they need to stop charging what they do.

Saying that you can't drive with your FW tank full is unacceptable. You bought a camper with tanks for a reason. I bring water because I might not be able to get it where I am going. Are you going to let it sit in the driveway while you go camping in a tent because the tanks might fall out, or the fridge might break, or the slides might not open. It's just ridiculous.
Niskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #70

I bought a 2019 2509s last summer in 2020. Thanks to this forum I have modified my fresh water tank support so it no longer sags or ballon like a W shape.

I used two 69” 2x2 1/8” for the front and back. Then added three 1x1 1/8” across. I used both mig welder and fasteners to add to the factory setup. It’s beefy now. Removing the belly cover wasn’t bad. I painted the new steal so it took me 3 evenings of fabrication and installation.

37 gal full tank travel is finally not scary anymore. I made a 1 min video. Pause it to look carefully.

https://youtu.be/wt7isD0MnAY

I also keep a 35 gal tank from Tractor Supply in the F150 with 12V pump which can be a back up pump for the camper down the road. This setup let me fill up the camper easily without taking it to the water station.
Sharky2509s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #71

For those of use with concerns about our water tanks falling out (I already posted a photo of mine in another thread), check out the number of recalls for fresh water tanks improperly secured or at risk of falling out - and this is only what came up when I put in my model (lots of others on the list as well.)
Hope it saves some people money to know it's covered under warranty. Or better yet, save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and just fix it yourself if you can, better than a replacement, which you will likely still have to reinforce. imho.

https://www.arfc.org/rvs/forest_rive...m/recalls.aspx
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:05 AM   #72

Tank falling out

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Everyone that I know that has had problems with FW tank mounts has installed "UNISTRUT" & "SUPERSRTUT" systems to hold the tank in place. The struts are stout and clamp on the frame. Not expensive and available at Home Depot.
These struts u put in are they between trailer frames or the flimsy frames forrest river put on to hold tanks
Eromallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:13 AM   #73

Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
My 60g fresh water tank rests on 2 L shaped side rails of not very thick steel. between these is a thicker strip of steel running down the middle of the tank. Before retiring last year, we did very little boondocking and didn't need to have a full tank all the time. When under the camper doing other work, I looked at the tank and was shocked to see the center support strip bent down an inch or 2 below the bottom of an empty tank. Since I knew I was retiring and planning to go on very long trips with a lot of water, I decided to put in a support that can handle 4x the weight of a full tank.
This looks like a great way u did this, my tank fell out while setting my wife over filled tank and tank frames bent allowing tank to slip out of frame though coroplast. Is it possible to get this support anywhere
Eromallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:33 AM   #74

I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf 26RL-L. There are four braces under my fresh water tank. However, they were only held in by one self-tapping screw on each side. Also, they were not spaced evenly across the tank. I realigned the braces, drilled new holes and installed grade 8 bolts. I go everywhere with a full tank. Not worried about it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220407_135433.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	277220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220407_135510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	277221  
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags