Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Freshwater tank

Second head-scratcher. I have a 2018 Salem 28ckds. When I'm hooked up to city water, my fresh water tank fills up. I've opened the drain on the bottom to empty it. if I leave a closed it fills back up although not terribly quickly. If I leave it open the ground is saturated beneath the camper.
MarCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

Your back flow valve on you 12 water pump is allowing water into the tank. Try running the pump to see if it frees up. You may need to shut off the city water to try this.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Ok thx. If it does not free it up, I suppose that means I need a new 12 volt water pump.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

I have had this happen twice in 2 1/2 years. Both times I put water in the fresh tank and ran the pump for several hours. It worked for me.

Marty
Old 12-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Freshwater tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCon View Post
Ok thx. If it does not free it up, I suppose that means I need a new 12 volt water pump.
Not necessarily. Depending on your pump you may just be able to change the check valve yourself or your dealer can do it for you. A lot cheaper than a new pump and in some cases the manufacturer of the pump will send you a new one for free. It is a quick switch, the hardest part is taking out your pump and re-installing depending on where it is in your unit.

Otherwise if you have a winterization kit attached to your pump just switch it to close off or by-pass the fresh tank, that way the water will not go in to fill it. You just have to remember to switch it back when you are not using city water and using your fresh tank.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Try resetting the water pump check valve using the following procedure:

Turn off city water
Turn off water pump if on.
Turn on any faucet wait 1 min
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Wait for water pump to quit running
Turn on city water
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Camco makes a backflow preventer that takes 10 minutes to install. It goes on the inlet side of the waterpump. Just be careful of how tight you turn it, or the filer housing will crack. I had the same issue and that fixed it. Camco 23303 is the part number
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
Not necessarily. Depending on your pump you may just be able to change the check valve yourself or your dealer can do it for you. A lot cheaper than a new pump and in some cases the manufacturer of the pump will send you a new one for free. It is a quick switch, the hardest part is taking out your pump and re-installing depending on where it is in your unit.

Otherwise if you have a winterization kit attached to your pump just switch it to close off or by-pass the fresh tank, that way the water will not go in to fill it. You just have to remember to switch it back when you are not using city water and using your fresh tank.
Thanks. I like to fix things myself if at all possible before replacing.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post

Turn off city water
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Turn on city water
Thanks. I'll give this a try when I get back to TT in coulee of days...
Old 12-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
Camco makes a backflow preventer that takes 10 minutes to install. It goes on the inlet side of the waterpump. Just be careful of how tight you turn it, or the filer housing will crack. I had the same issue and that fixed it. Camco 23303 is the part number
This might be something to look into if I can't reset it. Thanks for the input...
Old 12-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCon View Post
Amazon will have a rebuild lit and you can do it yourself. very easy.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Amazon will have a rebuild lit and you can do it yourself. very easy.
[emoji106]
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

Common problem. Lots of strings on this site reinforcing the responses to your post. Happened to me with a brand new trailer. Pump replaced under warranty.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Often times it is not a 'defective' pump (check valve) but rather debris from construction getting caught in the check valve or too high city water pressure overcoming the check valve.

Be sure to check and use a city water pressure regulator when necessary.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #15

There are several threads on this issue and having had the same problem my self, before you start putting in new check valve, I would check the water pressure coming into the camper. the check valves in the water pump is only rated for 50 psi which means it could take a little more or less. Invest in an adjustable water pressure regulator with a gauge so you know what is going into the rv. campground water pressure varies depending on how many are using the water and where you are hooked in the line. when I used the adjustable gauge for the first time the pressure was at almost 70 psi and after adjusting to under 50 no more problem.
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post

Turn off city water
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Turn on city water
Ok, so I have tried to reset the check valve 2x now. It has slowed down, but is still draining from my desk tank drain. I have shut off my winterizing valve, but then it started to leak around my filter cap on my shurflo pump so I cracked it half way. Don't know what good that will actually do but at least it's not leaking inside the TT....
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
There are several threads on this issue and having had the same problem my self, before you start putting in new check valve, I would check the water pressure coming into the camper. the check valves in the water pump is only rated for 50 psi which means it could take a little more or less. Invest in an adjustable water pressure regulator with a gauge so you know what is going into the rv. campground water pressure varies depending on how many are using the water and where you are hooked in the line. when I used the adjustable gauge for the first time the pressure was at almost 70 psi and after adjusting to under 50 no more problem.
I do not have an adjustable water pressure regulator but have one of those fixed water pressure regulators attached at the hydrant.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #18

I had the fixed kind of pressure regulator when I had problems. the adjustable ones are less than $30 on amazon. my local dealer carries them also but don't know their price.
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
I had the fixed kind of pressure regulator when I had problems. the adjustable ones are less than $30 on amazon. my local dealer carries them also but don't know their price.
Ok thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #20

Thanks for the help all. Tried to reset it several times but that didn't work. Finally picked up a backflow preventer and installed it. That did the trick. I'm going to replace my pressure regulator also. I think it might have been damaged when the parks water hydrant froze up couple weeks ago, if that's possible. Just to be safe.

Tags
tank, water, water tank