Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Freshwater tank holds less than specs

Our 2019 FR Flagstaff Micro lite 25FKS is on pump and all water was used. When refilling it only took 13 gallons. Website and brochure specs say it holds 58 gallons. We are 1500 miles from dealer. Have had numerous problems with water system - too many to list. Lousy pre delivery but hubby was ill and didn’t push it. Can’t use black tank flush because water comes into rear bedroom! Any help greatly appreciated.
GrandmaX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

how did you 'measure' for the 13 gallons, or otherwise know that it was only 13?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

Pumped directly

Husband had 3 five gallon containers to pump in and wouldn’t hold all 3. His estimate is 13. Used same kind of motorized pump as have always used in other rv’s when we can’t hook up to city water. We are sure it was empty.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #4

Did water come out of the overflow line? If it did then it is full.

You may have a prime issue with your pump. I had it happen on mine. Turn you pump on and faucet by faucet turn them on for a little while to purge any air and then close it. Be sure to do the outside faucet as well. Hopefully this will allow the water pump to self prime and pump water....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

what exactly do you mean by '...and wouldn't hold all 3'?

...sounds more like you have a blockage, or something keeping his water from getting in, as I highly doubt any RV has only a '13' gallon water tank... if the specs say 58, then I'm sure that's exactly what you have.
You can also physically look at the tank and see, even if it's contained in a storage bay and not visable from underneath, though sometimes they are hidden behind a false wall or panel.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

Wouldn’t hold all 3 of the five gallon jugs. Sorry about that. Will try to do a visual as you suggested.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

sounds like it is very frustrating.

Perhaps if you provided more information about the numerous issues you have had someone can pinpoint the problem. One thing I'm curious about is when you use the black water flush it comes out in the bedroom. We all know that's not normal but why is it happening...perhaps some or even all of the water problems are related. Many people on this site are eager (and capable) to help, they just need information.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

Good idea to list all the problems. Will write them all down as we think them through and then post them. Thank you. Yes it is very frustrating to us. We aren’t spring chickens any more. Never had any functional problems with prior new units and naively thought it would be the same. Shame on us for not doing a thorough trial run before traveling. Shame on the dealer too because we have found many things a good PDI would have caught.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #9

Is that a gravity fed system? Meaning, is there a cap you pull off on the right side of the camper?

It would look like this

Valterra White Gravity Fresh Water Fill Hatch Inlet RV Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0735LHQBD..._gHFvDbH2BK32Y
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Our freshwater tank is translucent and I can see the water level as I fill it, ... if you can see your water level, then you will know if it's actually only 13 gal full, ... also, I think the fill hose enters into the tank, ... if it's extra long into the tank, the tank may stop receiving water(as if it's full) when the level reaches the mouth of that hose in the tank, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

go back to the question asked in post #4. did water come out of the overflow? it would not be full if there was no water coming out of the overflow.

this is just a guess. but there is probably a check valve in the input hose. i'm wondering if the pump you are using is developing enough pressure to overcome the check valve. i have no idea but other than a kink developing i can't think of anything that would stop water from being pumped into a tank that is probably not full. back pressure or link seem the only possibilities.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

The OP has a 2019, so I'm guessing he's got a covered underbelly. He'll have to cut a U-shaped hole in it so he can open it up to see the tank.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #13

So, since everyone is jumping in here with advice before we even really understand what the OP has I'll give my thoughts..

If it's a gravity fed system:

I recently had this issue with my camper. What was going on is the vent tube has dropped lower than the fill tube. What this means is that everytime water goes out the vent (and we all know it does when the tank is full) it would get stuck in there and be a block for air trying to escape. Therefore, it would act as it was full before it actually was (because it wasn't venting properly).

I fixed this with a 12" piece of 3/4" hose. When the tank indicates full and I know it's not, I place the hose end up against the vent hole and blow into the hose. This dislodges the water blocking the vent tube and allows me to fill the tank.

No cutting required. I keep the hose with me whenever I fill.

Someone on this forum gave me this idea so I don't take credit but it really works.

Just my two cents worth.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
TGR

The problem as described by 007matman seems the most likely. If that is the case, then rerouting the vent line to remove any dips that would form a trap, perhaps even shortening it, would solve the problem.

Since you're on the road, try blowing out the vent line, as suggested by 007matman, until you can bring it to your dealer for fixing.

Tags
tank, water, water tank