Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Freshwater tank question

Do the fresh water tanks have a vent on top? We had our new clipper ultra lite out for a couple days and I drained what was left before hitting the road.When I got home I thought I would put some water in the tank.Well i got doing something else and it was overflowing out the fill and the fill vent before I got it turned off.I noticed after everything dried on the drive I am getting a little drip when it gets real hot out and looks like it comes from the top of the tank somewhere.I ran some water down the sink thinking to relieve some pressure.But it dripped today some in the heat of the day? I can't see the tank top I don't believe.
old hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Fresh water tanks all have vents. If water is used out of the tank, then it is replaced with air. If you are filling the tanks, the air is replaced with water. Problem is, some tanks have vent hoses that siphon water from the tank if they are not positioned correctly. If you overfill your tank, it will drain out through the vent hose.
I hope you didn't crack your tank by pressure filling it over its limits. It happens. Fill it slowly and stay there with it while filling.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 PM   #3

Hopefully it wasn't pressurized much because the water could come out around the fill hole and the vent on the side. I will keep an eye on it and maybe take a few gallon off and watch it a couple days. I noticed no water this am but a few drips late afternoon after it got real hot here. The cap and fittings are ok but I noticed where it came down the side from the top where I can't see.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

If you can get to your vent hose without too much of a problem, I would remove it and replace with the same size hose but in a 6" loop to avoid a siphoning situation. It will still serve as a vent, just no unnecessary runoff. Make sure you have a screen in or over the drain end to keep flying critters from building a nest in it. Mud dobbers love freshwater vents. Been there, done that!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks much for the info I will do some digging around if it cools off a little.lol

Tags
tank, water, water tank