Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1

Frozen pipes????

So has anyone actually had frOzen pipes? I know about a lot of suggestions on what to do if the temps drop but what are the actual chances the pipes will burst if you suddenly come across below zero temps while camping. I have several friends who say they've never done any of the preventative measures and not had a problem. Are they just lucky or is that normal? How many others don't do anything special while cold weather camping?
2006 FR 283GTS with Arctic package.

ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you come across below zero temps you better beware.

If you are talking several hours below freezing (32ļF) you'll stand a chance of not hurting anything by not winterizing but below zero is way colder. (unless you are talking Celsius)

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Newb

Why chance it, unless you don't mind repairing things.

I just blow out my lines with air and drain the hot water heater. Then pour a little pink stuff down each drain.

Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth FQ2916 View Post
Why chance it, unless you don't mind repairing things.

I just blow out my lines with air and drain the hot water heater. Then pour a little pink stuff down each drain.

I'm referring to when you are actually camping. It might be 60 during the day and maybe 20 degrees at night and maybe you don't have electric like at some state or national parks. Even with electric I don't have lower compartments that have any water lines or valves in them. All of my enclosed compartments are for storage or the propane.

My black/Grey drain pipes just run under the chassis, and as far as I can tell none of my fresh water pipes are exposed under the RV. The Blk and Gry tanks have the arctic pads on them but I've never used them. I'm told by those who just wing it that as long as there is some heat inside the RV I should be ok and the more water in the blk/gry tanks the better because it would take longer to freeze.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
I'm referring to when you are actually camping. It might be 60 during the day and maybe 20 degrees at night and maybe you don't have electric like at some state or national parks. Even with electric I don't have lower compartments that have any water lines or valves in them. All of my enclosed compartments are for storage or the propane.

My black/Grey drain pipes just run under the chassis, and as far as I can tell none of my fresh water pipes are exposed under the RV. The Blk and Gry tanks have the arctic pads on them but I've never used them. I'm told by those who just wing it that as long as there is some heat inside the RV I should be ok and the more water in the blk/gry tanks the better because it would take longer to freeze.
Where I live it might not get above freezing during the day or night for weeks. So I just pack water.

If you have a heater or furnace running I wouldn't worry about it.
Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post

the incoming water line is what is most susceptible to freezing in the situation you described above, ... trickling a faucet during the freezing hours will prevent it from freezing, "moving water won't freeze", ... but you need to have the gray tank valve open the whole time you're doing that so your gray tank doesn't overfill and overflow into the RV, ... we use the shower for this because I can set the trickle there to what I want and it won't change, ... using another faucet, I would have to reset the flow ever time that faucet was used, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #7

I don't camp in that cold of a weather.
Rv's are not built for it either.

***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote