Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
Boz

Full Hookup Taboo?

I feel like I already know the answer, but when you are at a campground with full hookups, is it a no no to use the site water to saniflush? Even if you use a designated hose? Is there some kind of backflow preventer valve you can add between the hose and the spigot? I am assuming it is not a good idea due to the possibility of contamination. Feel free to educate me...
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Boz, I can guarantee you that there’s been a lot of folks there before you who have done a lot worse things than using the site water for flushing the tank. I wouldn’t worry about it, but i do use a dedicated hose.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Haulin' Toys

I use a backflow preventer between my tank rinse connection and my tank rinse hose, always.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...3477681&sr=8-7

I feel like this is the best place for it, so as to keep my hose "clean," and prevent contaminating the site hookup. I have debated adding a second to the input side of my rinse hose, just in case..
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Also, check the campground connection before you put on a separate backflow preventer. Some places have them permanently installed on the faucets.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #5

Factory installed black tank flush has backflow preventer (unless owner has removed it).

If still worried use a separate hose and a manual valve. Turn the added valve off, disconnect, then open valve for a moment to flush any contamination out you THINK might have made it past the installed bfp.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Boz

Thanks everyone! Great stuff! So it sounds like I won't get the dirty looks I thought I would if I saniflush at my site.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #7

There are redundant backflow devices on all the flushers I've seen. But what's the obsession with flushing the tank? Use of a good enzyme treatment and Odorlos makes this unnecessary. No stink and the residual enzymes continue eating poo after the tank is empty. Won't happen if you flush these out.

Flushing at the dump site is especially egregious as folks will take 15 minutes there and hold up a long line. Unless there's no line on exit I just drive home and pump my tanks into my sanitary sewer at home
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Insert witty title here

I do not use the factory installed black tank flush. I put a dedicated hose down the toilet and just fill and empty the tank 2 or 3 times until the water runs clear. I recently got a flow meter for my hose so I can stand outside my camper and know when the tank is full.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
There are redundant backflow devices on all the flushers I've seen. But what's the obsession with flushing the tank? Use of a good enzyme treatment and Odorlos makes this unnecessary. No stink and the residual enzymes continue eating poo after the tank is empty. Won't happen if you flush these out.

Flushing at the dump site is especially egregious as folks will take 15 minutes there and hold up a long line. Unless there's no line on exit I just drive home and pump my tanks into my sanitary sewer at home
I am very weight limited with my towing setup, so I don't tow very far with any tank with water in it. When I show up at a site, I am empty and when I leave a site, I am empty. So, over just a weekend camping, I don't fill the black water tank enough to get a good dump of it. Therefore, I end up pumping water into it on Sunday morning to get a good dump before leaving.

That's accomplished through the flushing connection, either from the water connection at the site or by pumping the remains of the freshwater tank into the flushing connection through the outdoor shower hose if there is no water hookup at the site.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Using tanks of water to maybe flush a wad of toilet paper or left over corn chunks is waste. Water doesn't grow on trees. I say maybe 30 seconds on the flush at normal 50 psi pressure and move on. Use treatment like Camco Blue treatment or the Geo Method or treat at point with blue streak.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
. Water doesn't grow on trees. .
This my favorite line of the day... So far...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote