Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 12:27 AM   #1

FW tank fill-water pump (strainer) leak question

Hi,
Recent purchase of used 2021 Leprechaun 260ds.

Drained the FW tank (water that was in there when we bought it) and low points also.
Very first time filling the FW tank, water started leaking through wheel well sheet metal pieces. Investigated and discovered water pump strainer cap (clear cap) was leaking during the FW tank fill. It was slightly loose, simply tightened it and no more leaking during the filling of the FW tank.

NEWBIE QUESTION: After looking at plumbing diagrams, I am trying to visualize this situation and why water was going through the strainer -- Is water getting "pushed" from the FW tank INTO or THROUGH the water pump (and the strainer) during a FW tank fill? Even if the water pump is off?
Does the water pump block water from going through when off - was it just water pressure on the strainer from the FW tank filling?
Since I had drained the tank and low points, is water flowing out the FW tank and through the water pump to fill any empty water lines - while we were filling the tank?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks!
Tony 260DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #2

To answer your question yes. The pump has a backflow valve to prevent city water from entering the fresh water tank but does allow the fresh water tank water to enter the strainer side of the pump. Hopefully that makes some sense.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
To answer your question yes. The pump has a backflow valve to prevent city water from entering the fresh water tank but does allow the fresh water tank water to enter the strainer side of the pump. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Okay, thanks for the response!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 260DS View Post
Hi,
Recent purchase of used 2021 Leprechaun 260ds.

Drained the FW tank (water that was in there when we bought it) and low points also.
Very first time filling the FW tank, water started leaking through wheel well sheet metal pieces. Investigated and discovered water pump strainer cap (clear cap) was leaking during the FW tank fill. It was slightly loose, simply tightened it and no more leaking during the filling of the FW tank.

NEWBIE QUESTION: After looking at plumbing diagrams, I am trying to visualize this situation and why water was going through the strainer -- Is water getting "pushed" from the FW tank INTO or THROUGH the water pump (and the strainer) during a FW tank fill? Even if the water pump is off?
Does the water pump block water from going through when off - was it just water pressure on the strainer from the FW tank filling?
Since I had drained the tank and low points, is water flowing out the FW tank and through the water pump to fill any empty water lines - while we were filling the tank?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks!

Maybe I am all wet here but...

lets back up for a moment, the pump does have a backflow preventer as stated (to prevent city water hookup from flowing into FW tank) but OP stated he was filling FW tank so the backflow should not come into play as he is putting water into the tank not charging the system with a city water hookup.

1. filling the FW tank should not pressurize the system (that is a function of the pump), only way I see pressure being created in this fill process is if the tank overflow is blocked up, otherwise any pressure and eventually water would flow out of it.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Maybe I am all wet here but...

lets back up for a moment, the pump does have a backflow preventer as stated (to prevent city water hookup from flowing into FW tank) but OP stated he was filling FW tank so the backflow should not come into play as he is putting water into the tank not charging the system with a city water hookup.

1. filling the FW tank should not pressurize the system (that is a function of the pump), only way I see pressure being created in this fill process is if the tank overflow is blocked up, otherwise any pressure and eventually water would flow out of it.
Clarification...As I was filling the close-to-empty FW tank, water was clearly leaking out of the strainer cap. Tightened the cap, leak stopped. I continued to fill FW tank, with no problem.
So---Water must've have been pushing into the strainer cap side of WP as the first response stated?
You are right, the backflow preventer should not have been in play, right?

Once the FW tank was filled, water started to come out of the overflow pipes underneath the RV - as I would expect. So I don't think there is a blockage or anything going on with that. Afterwards we turned on the water pump and opened the faucets, seemed to be no problem there, either. No leaks, or anything out of the ordinary...
Old 07-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #6

I think it showed you another problem. I do not think water should leak out of wheel wells. Lucky yours did. I have a 2019 Coachmen. Found a lot of areas that needed sealing all around the bottom of my M/H could see light around wheel well when had a panel off in storage compartment. Used gorilla tape, caulking, can foam, sealed up bottom. Used 1/8 inch tubing and taped stick on so spray can foam can be used underneath. Can has to be inverted to work. Happy Camping.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDenn View Post
I think it showed you another problem. I do not think water should leak out of wheel wells. Lucky yours did. I have a 2019 Coachmen. Found a lot of areas that needed sealing all around the bottom of my M/H could see light around wheel well when had a panel off in storage compartment. Used gorilla tape, caulking, can foam, sealed up bottom. Used 1/8 inch tubing and taped stick on so spray can foam can be used underneath. Can has to be inverted to work. Happy Camping.

Thanks -- good to know.

Tags
leak, pump, question, tank, water, water pump