Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Just a FYI...I replaced the flap seal and the valve assembly along with a new flange seal in about 30 minutes. Total cost about $50. One caveat...I'm pretty good at building or fixing things and have plenty of tools to get the job done. Your times may vary. But, it was fast and painless.

In case you're wondering, my DW used household cleaning stuff in toilet, and left it sit in the bottom of the bowl for a day or two. Those chemicals seems to have damaged the seal and it wouldn't hold water. And since I had an occasional drip behind the "throne" I replaced the flush valve too.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

That's got to be some sort of record. I've spent more time than that exercising the operation of the valve.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

30 minutes?

Did you remove the toilet and do it from the bottom?

I have seen it done from the top in a few minutes.

Check Youtube for video.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
30 minutes?

Did you remove the toilet and do it from the bottom?

I have seen it done from the top in a few minutes.

Check Youtube for video.
yup. used 1/2 wrench to remove toilet and flip upside down on bed of truck. wearing a elbow length rubber glove, reach thru hole and pulled seal out. The flapper has enough slop in the pressure spring that I could seat the seal underneath the flapper first, then the rest.

The valve comes out via two screws, both right there on the valve. This from the outside. The new valve slips right in.

Before flipping the toilet back over, I put a new seal on the bottom. Set it back on the flange, tightened and done.