Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

Galley tank dump??

Have a new 346 QBUD. The unit has 2 black, 2 grey and a galley tank. All grey and black tanks have a pull handle release valve as they should. The galley doesn't have release valve and appears to be piped straight to the 4" sewer hookup. Therefore every time I try to dump I have a galley tank full of water waiting to dump all over me. I've looked everywhere and can't find a way to shut it off. I can clearly see the pipe run from under the sink area to the 4" sewer line with nothing in between.

There is an after market valve I can use at the sewer connection that will fix the problem but I'd like to know why it's like this to begin with?

I am new to this so be gentle if I'm doing something stupid here!
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post

There is an after market valve I can use at the sewer connection that will fix the problem but I'd like to know why it's like this to begin with?

I am new to this so be gentle if I'm doing something stupid here!

Sounds like the stupid one is the one who didn't put the shutoff in at the factory. Probably a Friday build. Take it back to the dealer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown

Sounds like the stupid one is the one who didn't put the shutoff in at the factory. Probably a Friday build. Take it back to the dealer.
I agree back to the dealer !
Kinda funny no one has caught this but the op.
Wouldn't the factory have caught this checking for leaks as well as the dealer ?

Maybe were missing something?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

Thanks. I have a call in to dealer now. I'll let you know. This is my first experience camping so I thought I'd ask!

I have a good deal of common sense and that setup just didn't compute!! Thanks for your responses.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599
Thanks. I have a call in to dealer now. I'll let you know. This is my first experience camping so I thought I'd ask!

I have a good deal of common sense and that setup just didn't compute!! Thanks for your responses.
Yes please keep us updated as future owners of same make and model may have the same issues.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Latest update.... hang with me for a moment here

In addition to the galley problem, my landing gear has also gone out. I was able to remove my truck from the rig just as it seemed to die (it seemed to be struggling from day one). Dealership sent me a manual crank so that I could hook the unit up and bring it back to them, 2 hours away I might add, to be repaired. Only problem with that is the gears must be completely gone as even the manual crank won't raise/lower 5er.

(It was suggested to me that I could use a bottle jack to raise the unit and then hook it up. Of course I could. I could also have the jack slip possibly killing me but certainly ruining my truck bed and 5th wheel. I choose to have them come out for a service call instead.)

Now for the original issue of the galley tank, the dealership didn't necessarily agree that there was a manufacturing problem but they did admit that it could be "inconvenient". Ya think??? They agreed to "fix" the issue as well.

Waited a week for service tech to call. No call. I made a follow-up call and was told Forest River had decided NOT TO CORRECT THE ISSUE!!!! Can you believe it? Not even 30 days old, dead in my driveway and they declined to correct the problem. Never fear the dealership is going to take care of me. They just don't know when. "A few days," I ask. "Don't know," they reply. "A couple weeks," I ask. "Don't know," they reply. "Several weeks," I ask. "Don't know. We only have one guy in the field and we have a hard time getting him on the phone," they reply.

I'm giving them until the end of this week before providing a dealership review for all to see.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It is a PITA waiting on service, but if you have camping time available and want to use your camper, you can get a twist on valve to put on at your sewer connection for about $20. True, this is something you shouldn't have to pay for but I wouldn't let $20 hold me up from using the camper while waiting on a dealer. Otherwise, if you are capable of installing a valve yourself, see if your dealer will send the part. I have no problem doing something like this myself. I can usually do it quicker and better than their techs, I know it's done right, and it saves me time. I have 1 1/2hrs to dealer, so a drop-off and pick-up cost me 6hrs and fuel, at least.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #8

I agree. I've done construction work my whole life and it's really not a big deal to install the valve, probably take more time to round up my glue and reciprocating saw than to install the valve. It's more the principle of the matter at this point. I expect much more......

BTW, I purchased a couple of the valves you are referring to. I ordered them when I first discovered the problem although I thought they were a good idea either way to help avoid "accidental" spills. I thought about permanently attaching to make sure they don't walk away in the night. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm good to go using those valves but my main issue is the landing gear. I can't hook up to tow! yikes!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Dallas Texas

Did you ask FR if it's supposed to have a galley dump valve? I can't imagine why it wouldn't. So based on your first post ("I can clearly see the pipe run from under the sink area to the 4" sewer line with nothing in between." it sounds like the galley doesn't have a tank at all. (?)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I concur - take it back to the dealer and with a smile on your face say it looks as if it was a Friday afternoon start with looming strike on the weekend and a possible walk out Monday morning.

If its still got warranty have them fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

TexasBBQ

Interesting question. I've assumed up to this point that there is a storage tank but after thinking it through I honestly can't say for certain there is! We haven't really used the kitchen sink that much so it could be accumulating in the pipes and just running out once I open them up. I assume if that's the case, the waste water would have to be back feeding and equalizing into the black tank that it's plumbed into. I'd like to think someone got in a hurry and simply forgot the valve but at this point I can honestly say that it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot the whole tank too!

What I meant to convey was the fact that I can see a drain pipe coming from beneath the kitchen sink area. It actually runs above the bottom covering material for about 4 or 5 feet before coming through so I can see it. It continues another 4 feet and then street elbows into the main sewer line, just before the discharge hookup. There is no valve to shut it down all they way to the sewer "main".

This is all going to resolve itself but I was floored that there was such an issue to start with and then to have the manufacturer say they wouldn't fix it...... wow!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

most units with the galley tank have a seperate shut off near the tank so as to not fill the 15 or so feet of pipe.
It wouldn't be the first blunder a TT manufacturer has made.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Dallas Texas

I've heard that some QBUDs have two dump locations. I find that strange but maybe it's true. I'm assuming you've checked. Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

Yep, that's correct, 2 locations. One up front of unit and another about 8 feet from the rear. This galley discharge line is right in the middle of both but plumbed to the front sewer discharge.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #15

Ok, long time in resolving this. Turns out there IS another valve. It was installed in the structural beam itself. The repair tech even said it took him a while to find it. Very small grab handle that is almost impossible to see but it is there. Thank goodness it was stuck open and didn't back up!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #16

This is going to sound like a really stupid question but something that may have been overlooked. You say it has 2 black tanks, 2 grey tanks and a galley tank. Is it possible that the tank you are thinking is the "galley" tank is actually your fresh water tank? The reason I am asking this is that you can see the drain from your sink pulmbed in to the 4" line which if you follow it, it must go to one of the 2 grey tanks. From the other thing you mentioned the tech did find a handle and it was open, if it is still open, try filling up your fresh water tank and see if the water starts running out right away. If it does, close the valve and note that is where your drain valve is for the frsh water tank. The other thing that woud be a good way to identify it is that your waste tanks would be black plastic, while your fresh water tank would be white and somewhat transparent.

Hope this helps solve some of the mystery.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #17

I understand your reasoning but the fresh water tank has a drain located at the front of the unit. Totally seperate. I'm sure this was coming from the galley because my wife is new to camping like me and she forgot there wasn't a disposal under the sink. Needless to say the "plate scraps" came rushing by when I opened the drain!