Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Galley Tank Flush

Hi. I may be having a problem with my galley tank. There appears to be a build-up in the tank that is affecting my ability to dump the contents. I am trying tank treatment and the infamous Dawn cure-all, but I have a plumbing modification in mind. I am thinking about adding a (capped) Y-connector to the drain pipe underneath the sink. Periodically I could then insert a garden hose into the Y to flush out the tank. The garden hose (with no fitting at the leading end) would be at the max pressure available at the park pedestal, allowing the best flush possible.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

What makes you think you are having a build up in the galley tank? That is unusual. The galley should only be your galley (kitchen) sink.

Your galley and even your grey tank should only have 99.99% water in them.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfb100 View Post
Hi. I may be having a problem with my galley tank. There appears to be a build-up in the tank that is affecting my ability to dump the contents. I am trying tank treatment and the infamous Dawn cure-all, but I have a plumbing modification in mind. I am thinking about adding a (capped) Y-connector to the drain pipe underneath the sink. Periodically I could then insert a garden hose into the Y to flush out the tank. The garden hose (with no fitting at the leading end) would be at the max pressure available at the park pedestal, allowing the best flush possible.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
If you're using these screens in your sink drains to keep chunks out, and not dumping anything like grease,coffee grounds etc. You shouldn't have anything that a few buckets of hot water with a little pine sol wouldn't take care ofClick image for larger version

Name:	20200804_150744.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	235686
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

I think the galley tank in our 2012 Sandpiper 5er may have excessive debris in the lower portion because I began having trouble while dumping. Normally the tank drains very well, and the two other tanks drain freely, also. But last week I noticed the tank drained very slowly and the 1/3 indicator light stayed lit. I did add some Dawn. I then added some hot water until the 2/3 light came on. The tank did drain but very slowly.

So, I let everything sit for a while with the gate valve open. Eventually the tank level dropped to 1/3 again. I know enough to be suspicious of the level indicators, and there is the chance the gate valve or even the drain line could potentially be at fault. I did add some tank treatment. I did leave everything as it is for a few days to see it the treatment will help.

My reason for adding a clean out/rinse port to the drain line is to give me a rough equivalent to the blank tank flush. This might me an excellent way to flush debris that would normally sit at the bottom of the tank, and seems like a feature that should be available anyway. My reason for asking for input is that somebody may have tried this and could provide some thoughts on efficacy, and perhaps some tips. Or there could be an issue of which I am not aware. Thought I'd run the idea by you before I made the mod.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rhi...inser/51494176

$18

Have not tried one, though.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

You may have a piece of tank blocking your dump exit. When the manufacturer cuts the hole for fittings sometimes the piece gets left in the tank. When this happens the result is what you describe. But since your rv is 8years old it seems that the problem should have been encountered before unless you just been lucky until now. Once you get the tank drained you can get an endoscope which attaches to your smart phone for around 40 to 50 bucks and look inside. If you find a piece of scrap inside you will have to remove the dump valve to try to pull it out.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #7

Is the sink installed in a slideout? If so it most likely has a flexible line somewhere which collect debris rather easily.
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, tank