Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSS423 View Post
Man this is awesome. We just bought a camper and ive been struggling with the WH since we got it. Im going to start in this tomorrow. I havent even started and by reading your comments i feel like i owe you for the fix already
Thanks, this reminds me I still have to finish this out about the module board. I'll see if I can do it later today.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #22

Well mine is fixed. Must have been one of the connections. So did i read it right that its best to use both gas and electric for heating the water?
CSS423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Well mine is fixed. Must have been one of the connections. So did i read it right that its best to use both gas and electric for heating the water?

Not necessarily "best", but you get the 'fastest' recovery rate in case you are using a lot of hot water quickly. (ie showers in succession, washing dishes, etc)

Everyone's circumstances and needs are different, so your "best" is a subjective term.

Personally, I use propane exclusively about all the time during the warmer camping months so as to not overload the 30 amps when using my air conditioner, and it suffices plenty for my limited needs. I use electric in the winter. Your situations could be totally different.

P.S> Glad to hear you got your propane side working.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
If I have 50 amps I am on electric to save gas. If I am on 30 amps I am on gas to allow more amps for A/C and other demands. When taking a shower on 50 amps I have both gas and electric on to improve recovery time and get more hot water gallons per minute.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #25

Thanks a bunch wmtire! You made it super easy. I printed all your instructions out and filed them away
CSS423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #26
Site Team

OK, continuing from post #17, we are going to now go behind the water heater and test power to the module board. This board of electronic wizardry will usually be partially underneath a plastic cover similar to this pic below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	module board.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	183923

It may be mounted to a frame member, attached with double-sided tape to the water heater itself, or just laying loosely on the floor or top of the water heater. It is up to the installer as to where to mount it.

When they are just laying on the floor or come loose from the double-sided tape, then the electronics can possibly get wet or short circuit on other things. It does happen, since one side of the circuit board is actually exposed, as you can see in the pic below with the tape on it. The wire connections can also come loose from the RV bouncing down the road.

Name:   Suburban-SW6DE-RV-6-gallon-Water-Heater-Camper.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  22.3 KB

You may also notice in the first pic of the module board cover, the orangish spark cable/wire coming out of it that goes to the electrode that we discussed earlier. It is also just on a push type connector to the module board spark ignitor, and you may want to make sure it is firmly connected as this wire can come loose either at the module board or the electrode.

Now looking at the proper schematic again for the Suburban model you may have (we are using a SWDE for this example)

You will notice that the red wire coming from the thermostats to the module board is our power wire. We want to use the multimeter and make sure we are getting the correct voltage on this red wire to the module board. If not, then we go backwards towards the thermostat, and see if we can find a wire problem.

You can also disconnect the module board from the wiring harness and also from the spark cable. You may need to remove it in order to check for possible burned spots on the board...or to also take it to a RV repair place, where they most likely have a module board tester that they can connect it to in order to make sure all of it functions as it's supposed to. You may have very limited arm space behind the water heater too depending on how you have to gain access to it (as each RV will be different). You may find it easier to disconnect the module board and remove it rather than trying to test it in place.

Here lately, Suburban has had a bad batch of the boards from their supplier, and you may notice something similar to this on yours on the Q3 being burned. Also on the first pic below you will see the spark ignitor on the upper right with the its spade connection that the orangish spark cable connects to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	183926

Name:   IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  44.4 KB

The module board will be the problem a lot of times if you are getting power to the board but not to the gas valves, or are having spark ignitor problems and/or the gas will not stay lit.... but I would advise having it tested if you don't find something obvious as in the pics above. Most RV repair shops will have a board tester, and you may want to see if they will test it fairly cheap. The actual replacement boards are less than $100, and there are actually other brands (called Dinosaur Electronics) that many use as a replacement.

Next, we will move to the spark ignitor/electrode

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #27

So from what I am reading this 130 degree cut off is the reason I can shower with only hot water valve open. The rv' s in my past you would turn on cold to bring temp in your comfort zone. When did this all change or is it only suburban brand hot water heaters
W3gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3gun View Post
So from what I am reading this 130 degree cut off is the reason I can shower with only hot water valve open. The rv' s in my past you would turn on cold to bring temp in your comfort zone. When did this all change or is it only suburban brand hot water heaters
You may have your heater's bypass valve in the wrong position. Sounds like your system is mixing cold and hot water from the heater.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Next, we will move to the spark ignitor/electrode
Ahhhggg!! That's where my problem is. Waiting anxiously for the next wmtire post.
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #30
Site Team

Ok, I have to do some pre-hurricane/tropical storm prep stuff this evening. If I get time, I'll try to finish this thread out.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #31

No hurries!! Your house is more important than my water heater.

On my unit, the gas comes on and I can light it with a click-lighter; however, it goes out a few seconds later. There’s no spark at the igniter (gap looks ok).

Tonight I’ll look at the control unit for burns/loose wires. Do you know the failure mode for Q3 (too low power rating? Low quality from supplier?) and the toasty resistor nearby?
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas, heater, select, water, water heater