Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

Gravity feed

I bought some land that has a well and water tower for gravity feed. My dealer said I can run the gravity feed water line to the exterior antifreeze port and use the onboard 12volt pump. My question is, Will the pump stop the water flow when the pump isnít running or Will the water just pour out on the outside from the gravity fed line? Thank you
brewhahahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhahahaha View Post
I bought some land that has a well and water tower for gravity feed. My dealer said I can run the gravity feed water line to the exterior antifreeze port and use the onboard 12volt pump. My question is, Will the pump stop the water flow when the pump isn’t running or Will the water just pour out on the outside from the gravity fed line? Thank you
As long as the gravity fed line is not left open to the atmosphere it should not pour out on the ground. Also, depending on how many gallons the tower holds, how high the tower is and how much water pressure you have on the gravity fed line from the tower you may not need to use the water pump in your rv. Since it is a private water tower you are responsible to keep it sanitized which can take quite a lot of chlorine. Go to the county or local government website and find what they have to say about sanitizing a private system.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

I should start by saying use only regular chlorine bleach. Do not use concentrated bleach, scented bleach or color safe bleach. These types of bleach contain additives which are hazardous for plumbing systems.

My family has had private wells for over 100 years. I remember my grandfather and dad sanitizing the wells.

They would start by filling about 10 milk jugs and water coolers for drinking water and a 100 gallon livestock tank with water for washing and flushing.

Opening the top of the well and running water from the garden hose from the pump they would dump in 2 gallons of regular chlorine bleach. The water from the hose would mix it in the ground near the well and draw it into the pressure tank and the plumbing. They would close off the top of the well and let the water run through all the faucets until they smelled the chlorine.

They then turned off the power to the well pump and let it sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours they drained the plumbing and the pressure tank. Then they would turn the well pump back on and let it fill the pressure tank then flush any chlorine water residue from from the faucets. Once the chlorine smell was gone they were done.

Since my house has a private well I follow this same procedure every summer. The only difference is I go to our camper for a couple of days instead of filling every container with water for drinking, washing and flushing the toilet.

For those who have a private well and wish to sanitize it you need to flush the chlorine off the pipe and wiring as you dump the chlorine in. If not the undiluted chlorine bleach will deteriorate the wires and pipes.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote