Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Gray into Black Tank vs Tornado Black Tank Rinse

We're going to take pick up our new 2019 Puma at the end of the month. I noticed it has one black tank valve, one grey tank valve and the another smaller grey valve/handle. The TT only has one black tank and one grey tank according to all the specs I've seen.

Did I think to take a picture? Of course not.

It does not come with a black tank rinse system and I was going to have one added. If the dealer confirms that the smaller grey valve allows the gray water to be sent into the black tank, should I still go ahead and add the black tank rinse system (Tornado brand)?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

You sure that isn’t a fresh water drain? Mine has 2 grey and one black.... a few feet to toward the front is the fresh tank drain. I like it because it will drain a full tank in just a minute.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You sure that isn’t a fresh water drain? Mine has 2 grey and one black.... a few feet to toward the front is the fresh tank drain. I like it because it will drain a full tank in just a minute.
I'm not real sure. I didn't even know they did that. That would be very useful.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

Gray into Black Tank vs Tornado Black Tank Rinse

My bad...I went and looked. The fresh is on the curb side not street side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	203716
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	203715  
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

I would be just as surprised if my TT has it. It wasn't listed in the specs, but there is definitely a smaller grey handle there in addition to the large one.

Come to think of it, I believe the setup is:

Grey Handle / Black Handle / Small grey Handle.

The location of the small grey handle valve leads me to believe that the water would have to fight gravity to make it into the black tank. Maybe there is a second grey tank after all? I do have a plumbed sink in the outdoor kitchen, but my specs only list one black tank and one grey tank.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

I’ve often thought it would make sense to have a valve between the gray tank and black tank so you could empty the black tank, close the valve, open the valve between gray and black to allow the black tank to fill with gray water, then close that valve and open the black valve again to drain the black tank. I believe it would help rinse out the black tank. We have the hose connection on ours for cleaning out the black tank but it doesn’t really work the way we were told it would. We also have the clear elbow that we connect the hose to and flush out the black tank after emptying it. That seems to work better than the built in flush. Just my 2 Cents.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

They don't like the idea of a valve between the gray and the black because they are afraid of stuff from the black washing back into the gray tank after the initial flooding of gray water.

As for the elbows, I'm not a believer in them. In the below video, the elbows are attached in optimal conditions. Much closer than they would be to any RV's black tanks. NO RV Black Tanks are going to be as close to the elbow with the hose turned on full force as they are in this video. And they frankly did little to nothing to change what was left in the black tank.

They DO give you a clear view of clean water coming back out making you think your black tank is now beautiful. I think they're a magicians trick.

After dumping, I pull away from the dump station, go in the camper and hold my foot on the flush until I think I have about 2"-3" of water in the tank, throw a pod in there and call it a day. It will continue to help break any remaining solids down. No pyramids or black tank issues or smells in 5 years so it's worked for me.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #8

We have no problems with our back tank other than false readings on the sensors. After my husband is done emptying and rinsing the black tank I add the chemicals and water to the tank.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank