Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #1

Gray tank leaking...

So to start with we have a 2018 Georgetown HT5 31R5.
We recently noticed that when the gray tank was full that when using shower, kitchen sink, etc , that water would run out in the area above the water heater, and into the next storage compartment to the rear. It would also run across the top of the tank to the same area on the other side. Research and investigating what I could see leads me to believe there is a problem where the vent or drain pipe connects to the tank.
We made an appt to have it repaired in early oct. and just made sure we never let it fill to that point.
Yesterday when using our portable washer and draining in the kitchen sink it started leaking even with the grey handle open. I then ran the shower and its leaking from using that as well. It's not leaking in the coach, but under the floor and what appears to be the top of the tank. The problem is that I cant see any way to get to that spot. It's right above the water heater.
Anyone have any suggestions to get me thru till our appt in oct.
Btw, I am a plumber, so am not worried about how to do a temp repair, but more about how to get to that area. I'm starting to think the shower has to come out and opening the floor.... Any ideas out there?
joendonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #2

It might be that you need to pull the water heater that may give some visual clearance to actually what is happening.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #3

Update: got the leak repaired by Recreation Specialties of Wakarusa, Indiana.
Apparently the connection from the drain pipe to the gray tank failed. It was a fernco fitting, and was either loose or just missing a clamp, and finally became totally disconnected. Access was gained by removing the pocket door between the bedroom and the shower, then removing the wood wall panel on the bedroom side of the wall. That is the location of the vent stack/ drain connection for the kitchen and shower.
I also had a slide problem ( out of time)which was repaired, and had the microwave exhaust rotated to the exterior and the exhaust kit installed. Tried to upgrade to a convection/ microwave but there were none to be found there.
I highly recommend Recreation Specialties of Wakarusa for anything you need. They do it all, from repairs to complete renovations. Good work, and very reasonable rates.
joendonna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank