Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2022, 04:52 PM   #1

Gray Tank Vent Clogged

We noted a strong sewer smell after taking a shower especially in the adjacent closet. The bath gray tank vent cap is directly over the corner of that closet.

Today I pulled the cap and saw a piece of styrofoam in this pipe. I attempted to fish it out but only pushed out down further.

Do I need to fashion a long corkscrew (8')? Or is this pipe likely to be sufficiently straight that I could flush it down and out?

Forest River Flagstaff 26FKBS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221103_151720.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	281248  
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #2

The vent should be coming from the grey tank . is it a straight shot or not don't know , /but would think you could flush back into tank . I have a similar issue only when taking a shower and not all the time but occasionally get an odor after a shower . Checked and even replaced air intermittence valve under lav but still sometimes get the odor . it will be a day of pulling things apart and checking vent from tank to roof . could be as simple as a pipe came apart or bad seal on tanks or ? the way my unit was built it could be anything
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #3
Retired Old Guy

We would get a sewer smell in the RV when we showed with the bathroom vent fan on but not if we didn’t turn the fan on. I read in other forums that will happen if you don’t open a window when you have the fan on. Just a thought to try.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #4

We regularly open a window or the other vent before energizing the bathroom fan.
I also cleaned and inspected the air admittance valve which is under the vanity across the room. No odors in the vanity.
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Old 11-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

I have mud dauber and paper wasps that like to build in vents. I just remove cap and flush with water hose. always know when they have built nest because smell comes into camper. Once cleaned smell goes away as for your problem flush it down and flush tank several times. If tank is clean, you can flush water in drive and see that it comes out then you will know.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #6

If you want to fish it out use garden hose attached to shop vac it will suck it up and hold it while you pull hose out.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #7

I think Doanshop's idea is your best option. Flushing it down and out with water will just let it float on whatever water is in the tank. I'd expect the likelihood of it flushing out the drain would be slim.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #8

Easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
If you want to fish it out use garden hose attached to shop vac it will suck it up and hold it while you pull hose out.
Easier to use only the shop vac. If the 1-1/4" hose fits in the pipe, good. If it doesn't, just hold it to the vent pipe at the roof. The air flow will bring the Stryrofoam up the pipe.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #9

I cut the finger off of a nitrile glove to make an airtight connection with a small vacuum. The obstruction didn't move. It appears to have rotated so its flat surface is parallel to the pipe axis instead of across the pipe. This probably happened when I first attempted to fish it out.
In this position we have not noted odor after showering.
I am hesitant to flush it down as the drain pipe for that tank is no bigger than the vent and may be smaller.
For now this falls into "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
Thanks for all your ideas.
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Old 11-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
Retired Old Guy

Personally I’d rather get it out of there while you can or it will rear it’s ugly head at the most in opportune time. Possibly working it’s way to a place you can’t get to it. Maybe a stiff wire with a hook on the end or maybe break out your fishing pole and get a hook into it.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #11

I like the earlier posted idea of attaching a garden hose to the shop vac with whatever makeshift means and sucking the item out.

That is basically the way my ENT Dr gets earwax away from the eardrum.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I like the earlier posted idea of attaching a garden hose to the shop vac with whatever makeshift means and sucking the item out.

That is basically the way my ENT Dr gets earwax away from the eardrum.

Bob
You must have a lot of earwax if you need a shop vac to get it out.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #13

Thanks to IamProStreet I caught a whopper. It put up a fight moving deeper into the cave and turning to present its broadside. After trimming a barb off a treble hook and poking at it. It gave up the fight and I reeled it in.

With my nemesis removed I could see the whole length of the vent to the watery abyss (gray tank). No ear wax found.

Mission accomplished! Thank you all for your encouragement.

FYI: The vent stack appears to have a mechanical connection about 6" below it's top. A clog above it would divert air in to the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221109_093247.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	281411  
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Old 11-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #14
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsmusings View Post
Thanks to IamProStreet I caught a whopper. It put up a fight moving deeper into the cave and turning to present its broadside. After trimming a barb off a treble hook and poking at it. It gave up the fight and I reeled it in.

With my nemesis removed I could see the whole length of the vent to the watery abyss (gray tank). No ear wax found.

Mission accomplished! Thank you all for your encouragement.

FYI: The vent stack appears to have a mechanical connection about 6" below it's top. A clog above it would divert air in to the ceiling.

[emoji1360]
Glad to help! [emoji41]

Tags
tank, vent