Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #1

Gray water holding tank level

We are camping for the first time in our 2507S. We have taken 3 super fast showers and washed a few dishes. Our gray water tank says its full. From what I hear, the monitors are not always accurate. Is there a way to manually check the gray water? We don't have a hook up where we are and still have 1 more day to go on our trip. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!
JeffJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #2

2507S what? When your gray is 100% full you will most likely see water in the bath tub that wont drain or a sink wont drain.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #3

Don't know what a super fast shower means....... but a "Navy" shower is a must when full hook ups are not available.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Your shower drain filling up, will be the true gauge of a full gray tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #5

I’d rather know in advance of water filling up shower. Maybe i just need to trust the monitor
JeffJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #6

The sensors are notoriously inaccurate but you learn what's doable over time. Also, what's your tank size?

Another work around is to take a bucket and transfer some of the gray tank to the black tank (via the toilet) when you get too full.

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Don't know what a super fast shower means....... but a "Navy" shower is a must when full hook ups are not available.

My name is Hollywood.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJodie View Post
I’d rather know in advance of water filling up shower. Maybe i just need to trust the monitor
3 Fast showers and how many days, how many people and what size tanks?

We have 60 gallons of gray tank total in 2 separate tanks. The galley gray fills up after about 2.5 days and the bathroom gray in 3. Two people here and one Rottie

I have given up on "water conservation" with the "War Department". Bought a 36 gallon honey wagon.

Good Luck
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #9

The only way to really know when it is full is to just use it normally until it hits the drain. You only need to do this once as it will give you a good idea of how much practical use it takes to fill.
The idiot lights are just that.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #10

As has been said, tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate. Our RV holds 50 gallons fresh, 28 gray, and 22 black. We figured out that we can go 4 days before dumping and refilling. It’s just 2 of us and that would be approx 3 showers, light dish washing, and using the toilet.
birderlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJodie View Post
We are camping for the first time in our 2507S. We have taken 3 super fast showers and washed a few dishes. Our gray water tank says its full. From what I hear, the monitors are not always accurate. Is there a way to manually check the gray water? We don't have a hook up where we are and still have 1 more day to go on our trip. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!
This happened with wife's first trip where she washed away our water. I put a stop to that with restrictions and didn't have the issue last trip.

You should bring additional water containers (however many gallons you think you may need) to rinse items outside instead of the sink and use something treehugger worthy like Sierra Dawn : Home. I don't use the fresh water tank for drinking and use the container(s) I bring to filter through a ZeroWater 20 Cup water pitcher.

I can stack and adjust loadout based on duration of trip. Also have a food grade siphon I can use to pump into fresh water tank if needed. This storage space reclaimed after removing the outside fridge which I had no intention in using. I'm also eyeing removal of the convection microwave since it's worthless for dry camping.

Time to use paper and plastic for dishes/utensils and outdoor cooking.

You can also use your outdoor shower to rinse off and load up on some wipes and perfume for that euro-freshness. https://www.huggies.com/en-us/wipes/...are-refreshing

Gl/Camping is a dirty pastime and not for everyone. It's amplified when you add pets which are already dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	257376  
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #12

Gray water holding tank level

It looks like you have 58 gallon fresh water tank. 6 gallons of that is in the hot water heater tank.
You have a 30 gallon gray water tank. Have you checked the level of fresh water tank? If your around 1/2 full, your gray water tank is getting close to full.
We use a 32 gallon tote to empty the gray water tank into it. We pull it to the dump station and empty it.
We also bring along two 6 gallon jugs for fresh water. I pump it into the fresh water tank with a 12 volt transfer pump from Harbor Freight.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
It's amplified when you add pets which are already dirty.
Stella says WooF WooF! Translation: Ah No No!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018120195143435.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	257379  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #14

You can just leave your grey tank valve open when you shower ! Just saying !
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #15

Depending on where you are, draining the gray water onto the ground is not a big deal. I don't do it near streams or rivers, but anywhere else I have no problem with it. Detergents have phosphates in them, which is fertilizer. Not good for lakes because of algae, but not a problem elsewhere. When we were camped within 30 feet of a lake, I hooked up a spare Shurflo pump and pumped the water into a tank in the truck. Then I could take it away from water sources and dump it. In Montana, they had irrigation hookups for your gray water to water the plants. My sister-in-law can't spell Navy or Shower. She would practically empty our fresh water tank with one shower.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

I've found they're a must even if I have full hookups unless I want a cold end to my shower.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #17

Water works

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Depending on where you are, draining the gray water onto the ground is not a big deal. I don't do it near streams or rivers, but anywhere else I have no problem with it. Detergents have phosphates in them, which is fertilizer. Not good for lakes because of algae, but not a problem elsewhere. When we were camped within 30 feet of a lake, I hooked up a spare Shurflo pump and pumped the water into a tank in the truck. Then I could take it away from water sources and dump it. In Montana, they had irrigation hookups for your gray water to water the plants. My sister-in-law can't spell Navy or Shower. She would practically empty our fresh water tank with one shower.

I feel your pain! Worse experience ever is camping/fishing (boating) with someone who doesn't understand the limitations of water use. Camper toilets are another item of contention with the uninformed. Will flush anything that will fit through the hole. Leave water running for a full teeth brushing experience, same with hand/ face washing.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Detergents have phosphates in them, which is fertilizer. Not good for lakes because of algae, but not a problem elsewhere.
Good news, most if not all consumer-grade detergents had their phosphates removed many years ago. You can still find detergents with phosphates for sale for commercial use, but I don't know of a single consumer grade detergent that still has any.

Tags
tank, water