Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #41

I like to turn the water off if we are gone for several hours. If something in the water system fails while away you could have 20 gray valves open and that wouldn't matter!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I like to turn the water off if we are gone for several hours. If something in the water system fails while away you could have 20 gray valves open and that wouldn't matter!
And that has happened a lot of times. A faucet doesn’t turn itself on if you leave the RV empty. But there are a lot of water lines installed by questionable workers that can leak...and they don’t leak into the gray tank.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
And that has happened a lot of times. A faucet doesn’t turn itself on if you leave the RV empty. But there are a lot of water lines installed by questionable workers that can leak...and they don’t leak into the gray tank.
Amen.
Always best to turn the water off and not leave dump valves open.

Case in point... we all agree not to leave the black dump valve open... on my uncle's TT, my aunt used the toilet right before we left for the day sightseeing. The toilet valve stuck and when we returned, water was flowing from every corner of the rig as was mentioned above.

When we opened the door, water gushed out like Niagara Falls. Their dog found high ground on the back of the sofa or would have been swimming.

Luckily (if there was any luck) the toilet ball valve held and the water simply overflowed the toilet like the fountain of youth and it was just water but LOTS of water none the less.

Always turn off the WATER when leaving the R/V for any length of time.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #44

I had a line burst in my house 2 different times, one from a freeze and another was the chromed shower neck that threads into the wall pipe.

Both times no one was home and massive amounts of water damage costing tens and tens of thousands of dollars.

I now go out and turn off the water pipe feeding the house anytime we leave and no one is starting home.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #45

Regarding traps.

When working as they should, a trap will block the flow of gasses from a holding tank. But things don't always work as they should. Among other things, winds blowing across a vent can push or suck water out of a trap. This can happen when parked or towing. Colorado is notoriously windy in the mountains, and the vents on the sidewall of a PUP are typically only inches above the traps. The photo depicts the vent for the shower in my old PUP. A hardside may be vented through the roof, but there is little to prevent a wind pressure wave from pushing water out of the trap.

I have a floor drain at home and a little-used bathtub in the spare bathroom whose traps must both must be filled regularly, or the trap dries out and allows sewer gas to escape. The same is true for RVs. When parked for several weeks, there is nothing to stop the trap from drying out and allowing the stench from the grey tank to enter the coach.

Most coaches have at least three grey water traps: kitchen sink, bath sink, bathtub/shower. After towing and setup, it's wise to run a bit of water into each trap to ensure they are full, and then monitor them in windy conditions.

Having established that traps are not foolproof, bear in mind that, if you run your grey tank open to the RV park's sewer continuously, if a trap runs dry, you won't just admit grey tank stench. It will be sewer stench. Not to mention that particulates in the grey water can precipitate out, collect on the bottom of the grey tank, and dry there if there's only the occasional trickle from a faucet to flush them away. When you're done with breakfast dishes, you may go off on a hike and not return until dinner...meaning no water down any drain for hours. Keep the grey tank dump valve closed except when dumping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	222379  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

I don't flush the black tank as I use an enzyme and oxygen treatment and any residue decomposes just fine. Never ever use anything poison (or blue).

-- Chuck
Curious about the enzyme/oxygen treatment.
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of it before.
What is it?
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank