Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Gray Water Tank Size

We have a 2020 FR TT, Toyhauler are camp hosts at a park in Washington that does not have hookups.

Our gray tank seems extremely small. I’m very careful about short showers, wetting down, turning water off, soaping, rinsing, and use small tubs for washing dishes and drain dish water into toilet and still the tank fills almost everyday. We’re lucky if we get two showers before it has to be drained.

I’ve looked through paperwork to find size of tank but it’s not there. It’s not the sensor as it is really full as it backs up into shower when full.

Is this the norm? Is it possible to have a larger tank put in? We plan on working here again next summer so wanting to plan.
Ramblingromines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingromines View Post
We have a 2020 FR TT, Toyhauler are camp hosts at a park in Washington that does not have hookups.

Our gray tank seems extremely small. I’m very careful about short showers, wetting down, turning water off, soaping, rinsing, and use small tubs for washing dishes and drain dish water into toilet and still the tank fills almost everyday. We’re lucky if we get two showers before it has to be drained.

I’ve looked through paperwork to find size of tank but it’s not there. It’s not the sensor as it is really full as it backs up into shower when full.

Is this the norm? Is it possible to have a larger tank put in? We plan on working here again next summer so wanting to plan.
According to PrimeTime's website, the Avenger 20RD is not a toyhauler. It's a regular TT.
Their website says you have a 42 gallon FW tank and 34 gallon gray tank.
Not sure why you just didn't check the website.
I'd say that 34 gallons is pretty good for that size trailer. I had a HTT about the same size and it only had a 25 gallon gray tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Grey tank is 34 gallons

SPECIFICATIONS
Hitch Weight:600 lb.UVW4176 lb.CCC3424 lb.Exterior Length:24' 11"Exterior Height:10' 3"Exterior Width:96"Fresh Water:42.00 gal.Gray Water:34.00 gal.Black Water:34.00 gal.Awning Size:13'
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Different camper

Thanks Bijendan, this is in regards to a dif camper; our 26 foot 2020 FR Wildwood FXS 260RT toyhauler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
According to PrimeTime's website, the Avenger 20RD is not a toyhauler. It's a regular TT.
Their website says you have a 42 gallon FW tank and 34 gallon gray tank.
Not sure why you just didn't check the website.
I'd say that 34 gallons is pretty good for that size trailer. I had a HTT about the same size and it only had a 25 gallon gray tank.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #5

Update with more camper info:

26 foot 2020 FR Wildwood FXS toyhauler.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #6

So I did look it up and it say 28 gallons. Is it possible to replace it w a larger one?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:

That looks like 30 gallons of gray. For two of us, our 52 gallon gray lasts about 2 1/2 days with two showers a day and dish washing, on full hook-ups. Dish washing takes the most water. When traveling we can go three days easy by skipping a shower every other day if possible and using paper plates and cups.

When we started out I put this flowmeter on the city water so we could tell who and what was using the most water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Showers initially were using 10+ gallons each but we got that cut in half just by knowing about it.

HTH,

Ray
Old 09-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

When we started out I put this flowmeter on the city water so we could tell who and what was using the most water.
I was thinking about putting one on the shower hose, but DW nixed that.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #9

Thank you �� Ray. I’ll check that out.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I was thinking about putting one on the shower hose, but DW nixed that.
It installs in the wet bay. Just saunter out and look at the counter before and after. That's how I did it. Then we started a competition to see who could get it the lowest. We were down to about 3 gallons each.

Ray
Old 09-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
It installs in the wet bay. Just saunter out and look at the counter before and after. That's how I did it. Then we started a competition to see who could get it the lowest. We were down to about 3 gallons each.

Ray
Yea I have one that I use when filling my FW tank. We are lucky in that we have two 35 gray tanks onboard, but that sometimes means two trips to the dump station with the tote.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Bijendan, this is in regards to a dif camper; our 26 foot 2020 FR Wildwood FXS 260RT toyhauler.
Your profile still says Avenger 20RD.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:

Actually your new trailer is almost 29ft long.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...fsx/260RT/4173

And it looks like your previous smaller trailer had more gray tank capacity.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
BMullins46

Why not just get a 35 gallon "blue" tank to drain your gray water into then take it to the dump station? Sure a much easier thing to do. you can leave it hooked up to the sewer drain port with the valve closed until you need to dump.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #15

35 gallons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
Why not just get a 35 gallon "blue" tank to drain your gray water into then take it to the dump station? Sure a much easier thing to do. you can leave it hooked up to the sewer drain port with the valve closed until you need to dump.
35 gallons is a LOT of weight. We have a 25 gallon tote, the kind with two little wheels at the back and a handle at the front. That's over 100 lbs to lift the handle off the ground, and a tough 25-foot drag through deep pea gravel before I can get to the golf cart (TV for the tote).

I'm in pretty good shape for a 75-year-old, but I wouldn't want to add 83 more pounds (10 more gallons) to the load.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #16

Tank capacity

Adding a larger tank is not usually possible w/o a lot of work. They are only so many tank sizes available and the space is usually maxed out. Only way to know is taking the bottom cover off and looking. Filling a 28 gallon tank in a day, does not sound right.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
BMullins46

To OP,
How about getting a sewer cap with a hose tap on it and running a 5/8" or 3/4" garden hose out to the parking spot for the golf cart leaving the gray water tote there so you don't have to pull it through the pea gravel. it would accomplish the same thing and eliminate some of the physical lifting for you. Of course I am assuming that it would be possible to leave the hose run out on a long term basis, having to rerun the hose every time you wanted to dump would be a real pain. I understand the physical limitations as I am your age.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #18

Confusing two posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
To OP,
How about getting a sewer cap with a hose tap on it and running a 5/8" or 3/4" garden hose out to the parking spot for the golf cart leaving the gray water tote there so you don't have to pull it through the pea gravel. it would accomplish the same thing and eliminate some of the physical lifting for you. Of course I am assuming that it would be possible to leave the hose run out on a long term basis, having to rerun the hose every time you wanted to dump would be a real pain. I understand the physical limitations as I am your age.
Bill, I think you are conflating the Original Post with my post. The OP didn't menton age, golf cart, or pea gravel.

Original Post
Quote:

My Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
35 gallons is a LOT of weight. We have a 25 gallon tote, the kind with two little wheels at the back and a handle at the front. That's over 100 lbs to lift the handle off the ground, and a tough 25-foot drag through deep pea gravel before I can get to the golf cart (TV for the tote).

I'm in pretty good shape for a 75-year-old, but I wouldn't want to add 83 more pounds (10 more gallons) to the load.
I don't think the campground would permit me to leave a hose out.

It also would conflict with my usual process, based on the fact that the trailer is permanently sited on a site with no sewer connection:
  • Empty black tank into tote, pull tote to golf cart, empty tote, return
  • Empty gray tank into tote, flushing hose, pull tote to golf card, empty tote, return
The conflict is that I'm not sure I could run the black tank through a garden hose without a macerator. That's getting kind of complicated.

I'm sort of using this as a bellwether. When I get too old to move that tote, maybe I'm too old for camping.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
NXR

Quote:
I When I get too old to move that tote, maybe I'm too old for camping.
Nope, just get a tote where the handle can slip over a ball hitch and also a toad with a hitch receiver. You can camp until the take your license away.

Ray
Old 09-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #20

Not too old

Quote:
Nope, just get a tote where the handle can slip over a ball hitch and also a toad with a hitch receiver. You can camp until the take your license away.

Ray
Ray, the handle on the tote actually fits over a pintle hitch I put on the golf cart. although I have towed it with the SUV and trailer ball. The problem is getting it out of the very narrow aisle between our sideout and the next lot's cabin and deck. There's only an inch of clearance on either side for the tote--no way the cart could get back there.

It's a two-wheel tote (see first image). That means I have to lift and hold one end while pulling it, and lift it on end again when dumping. Classic physics tell me that the initial lifting force is 100 lbs (25-gallon tote). If I really did get too old to manage it, I could replace the tote with a three-wheel tote with side port (see second image) and eliminate the lifting. But I'm using this test (and another one) as a sign for when it's time to start easing off.
Attached Images

Tags
water tank, water, tank