RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
Grey tank lever is stuck open

2020 GT5 31L5 - I drained the grey tank today and when it was finished I tried to close the lever and it won't close anymore. What can I do to close it? We are going on a boondocking trip next weekend!
grateful_travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,384
As a temporary fix, put one of those caps designed for the end of a hose on the opening to the gray tank.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
As a temporary fix, put one of those caps designed for the end of a hose on the opening to the gray tank.
That's a great idea, thanks! After we get back from our trip we can bring it back to the dealer to look at, but we need it for this coming weekend, so a temporary fix will be great.
grateful_travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
That's a great idea, thanks! After we get back from our trip we can bring it back to the dealer to look at, but we need it for this coming weekend, so a temporary fix will be great.
You are most welcome.

Bear in mind that emptying that tank after use will be an issue.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
As a temporary fix, put one of those caps designed for the end of a hose on the opening to the gray tank.
If that's a combined drain, won't that allow black water to back up into the gray tank when dumping?
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,097
One of these might help. https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
We have one on our rig just in case one of the valves starts leaking. It also prevents surprises when you go to dump. The valves can leak and put waste water into the pipe so that when you take off the cap, waste water will gush out before you can put the sewer hose on. (Don't ask me how I know.)
This valve will solve your problem temporarily.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
One of these might help. https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
We have one on our rig just in case one of the valves starts leaking. It also prevents surprises when you go to dump. The valves can leak and put waste water into the pipe so that when you take off the cap, waste water will gush out before you can put the sewer hose on. (Don't ask me how I know.)
This valve will solve your problem temporarily.
If I understand this product correctly, it has both the fitting to connect to the gray outlet pipe and has the fitting to accept the sewer hose. (I canít tell for sure since the picture shows only one side.)

If so, this has the benefit of capping off the outlet pipe and allowing for dumping (unlike my suggestion of using one of the hose caps).

This is a great emergency item that will be added to my regular RV supplies! Thanks.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,097
Both of my valves were beginning to bind up noticeably and the guy next to us suggested pouring a cup of vegetable oil into the empty tanks. I did and wow, I almost ripped the handle out because the valve moved so freely now.

Your problem is a bit different because the vegetable oil cannot sit against the entire valve seal (the travel path for the gate) but perhaps give it a try. It may lube part of the seal as the oil drains past so you can work the valve a bit.

I do have to add vegetable oil when the valves get a bit tight because this is not a permanent fix. For the black tank I can just pour it in. The gray tank is a bit different due to the P-traps in the sinks. I carefully pour two cups of vegetable oil into the closest sink drain, put the plug in, fill the sink with water, and pull the drain plug. The BAWHOOSH pushes the oil out of the P-trap and into the tank.

For both I let it sit for several minutes so the oil can travel to the drains.

Good luck,

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
If I understand this product correctly, it has both the fitting to connect to the gray outlet pipe and has the fitting to accept the sewer hose. (I canít tell for sure since the picture shows only one side.)
.
It fits between the outlet pipe and the cap you normally put on the end of the pipe. Basically, it twists on and you put the normal end cap on the other side. Comes with good directions that you probably won't need.
All you need is one 'leak' from bouncing down the road to decide this is a good idea. It should work for the OPs problem til he can get it fixed and afterwards.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
LittleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
It fits between the outlet pipe and the cap you normally put on the end of the pipe. Basically, it twists on and you put the normal end cap on the other side. Comes with good directions that you probably won't need.
All you need is one 'leak' from bouncing down the road to decide this is a good idea. It should work for the OPs problem til he can get it fixed and afterwards.
X2^^^

Works well, recommend you get one. Available from numerous places - on-line and dealers.
__________________

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 352
If you have a “brake cable” between the valve and the handle it is probably getting rusted. Spray WD40 on the entire length, to loosen the rust. Work it back and forth a few times, then spray heavily with silicone. May have to replace the entire thing.
__________________
2017 Puma Unleashed, 38 ft.
Dodge Ram 2017, 3500, Dually.
KG5TKV
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Adrian Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
2020 GT5 31L5 - I drained the grey tank today and when it was finished I tried to close the lever and it won't close anymore. What can I do to close it? We are going on a boondocking trip next weekend!
I'm assuming the pull handle on a standard holding tank drain valve? If so, order one from Amazon for overnight delivery or two day delivery and replace it. The job takes about 20 minutes.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Leprachaun 210RS with DW, Nanuq the Samoyd puppy and the cat.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Royston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
2020 GT5 31L5 - I drained the grey tank today and when it was finished I tried to close the lever and it won't close anymore. What can I do to close it? We are going on a boondocking trip next weekend!

Google Lubricating RV sewer valves, there is a short video showing how to do this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at Oct 25, 20203.40.58 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	692.1 KB
ID:	241882  
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390RB (Front airbag upgrade & 275/80R tires)
2016 Ford Edge SEL 3.5ltr, Blue Ox baseplate, Ready Brute Elite tow bar, Brake Buddy Advantage Select
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 40
Valve cable stuck

If itís the cable, I use Petrogel. It is a food safe lube, that will not wash off and doesnít make a mess! End of problem! Works with hot water also!
stepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
JWood422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: At home
Posts: 538
Another possible fix, even if only temporary, is to slightly loosen the 4 nuts that hold the valve in place. It helped me tremendously. The housing was too tight against the slidey “trap door.”
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
I fixed it!

I ordered a new value unit from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I spent the last 30 mins or so taking out the old one and putting in the new one. It was easy. The tricky part was getting it back together because the weight of one side pulls down and you have to lift it and insert the bolt at the same time.

I tested it after I was done...no leaks, and it opened and closed perfectly. I saved the old one in case we need another one because it's brand new and I know what was clogging it.

I don't know how to post pictures on here to show you, but when I took the old one out, two big pieces of water-logged wood came out. That is what was blocking it from opening! I have no idea where the wood came from. The motorhome is a 2020, we bought it new and have only been on 3 trips, and obviously neither one of us put wood down the drain.

I also bought one of those caps that some people were talking about and put it on just to have.

Allison
grateful_travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
I ordered a new value unit from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I spent the last 30 mins or so taking out the old one and putting in the new one. It was easy. The tricky part was getting it back together because the weight of one side pulls down and you have to lift it and insert the bolt at the same time.

I tested it after I was done...no leaks, and it opened and closed perfectly. I saved the old one in case we need another one because it's brand new and I know what was clogging it.

I don't know how to post pictures on here to show you, but when I took the old one out, two big pieces of water-logged wood came out. That is what was blocking it from opening! I have no idea where the wood came from. The motorhome is a 2020, we bought it new and have only been on 3 trips, and obviously neither one of us put wood down the drain.

I also bought one of those caps that some people were talking about and put it on just to have.

Allison

Debris falls into the tanks during drilling for the drain pipes and other assembly processes. They don't care! Just this past spring, after over 6 years, of use, a broken piece of PVC pipe plastic "O" ring got caught in the valves blade track keeping it from closing completely. Tell me where that came from since the nearest P-trap where these "O" ring seals are is under the bathroom sink & above the floor!
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
I ordered a new value unit from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I spent the last 30 mins or so taking out the old one and putting in the new one. It was easy. The tricky part was getting it back together because the weight of one side pulls down and you have to lift it and insert the bolt at the same time.

I tested it after I was done...no leaks, and it opened and closed perfectly. I saved the old one in case we need another one because it's brand new and I know what was clogging it.

I don't know how to post pictures on here to show you, but when I took the old one out, two big pieces of water-logged wood came out. That is what was blocking it from opening! I have no idea where the wood came from. The motorhome is a 2020, we bought it new and have only been on 3 trips, and obviously neither one of us put wood down the drain.

I also bought one of those caps that some people were talking about and put it on just to have.

Allison
Open your recently received Welcome PM, click on the link to Forum 101 and follow instructions in post #7.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
LittleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
I ordered a new value unit from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I spent the last 30 mins or so taking out the old one and putting in the new one. It was easy. The tricky part was getting it back together because the weight of one side pulls down and you have to lift it and insert the bolt at the same time.

I tested it after I was done...no leaks, and it opened and closed perfectly. I saved the old one in case we need another one because it's brand new and I know what was clogging it.

I don't know how to post pictures on here to show you, but when I took the old one out, two big pieces of water-logged wood came out. That is what was blocking it from opening! I have no idea where the wood came from. The motorhome is a 2020, we bought it new and have only been on 3 trips, and obviously neither one of us put wood down the drain.

I also bought one of those caps that some people were talking about and put it on just to have.

Allison
Didn't realize this was a NEW unit. Curious - was there a reason you didn't take it back to the dealer (assuming it's still under warranty being it is a 2020 and you have only made 3 trips)?
__________________

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.