Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Grey tank not draining.

In my 2019 Wildcat 34wb, I have two valves for draining my tanks. One has a black handle for the black tank and one has a grey handle for the grey tanks. On my control panel I have a button showing the fluid level for the bathroom grey tank and one that says Gal for the galley tank for the kitchen. I was told that when I pull the grey valve that both grey tanks will drain but that is not the case as it seems to only drain the Gal tank. With both valves open and liquid drained the control panel shows Gal and black are empty and Grey is full. I figured it was just a faulty sensor or something on the sensors to make it read full, however, my shower is now filling up with water so there is obviously a 3rd valve somewhere? I can not find it and have no idea how to drain the grey water tank for the bathroom. Anyone else have this issue or know where this valve might be located?
2019 Wildcat 34wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You will need to crawl under the rig and search for the outlet from the tank and the dump valve that is connected to it. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #3

I figured it out, someone did a horrible job building this thing. The rod for the valve doesn't line up with the hole in the frame so they couldn't screw the valve handle on, so instead of fixing it they left it alone. So now I have to reach down through the hole with needle nose pliers and pull the valve open.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019 Wildcat 34wb View Post
In my 2019 Wildcat 34wb, I have two valves for draining my tanks. One has a black handle for the black tank and one has a grey handle for the grey tanks. On my control panel I have a button showing the fluid level for the bathroom grey tank and one that says Gal for the galley tank for the kitchen. I was told that when I pull the grey valve that both grey tanks will drain but that is not the case as it seems to only drain the Gal tank. With both valves open and liquid drained the control panel shows Gal and black are empty and Grey is full. I figured it was just a faulty sensor or something on the sensors to make it read full, however, my shower is now filling up with water so there is obviously a 3rd valve somewhere? I can not find it and have no idea how to drain the grey water tank for the bathroom. Anyone else have this issue or know where this valve might be located?
It seems that most of the time when there are separate tanks/drains, it is because there are gray water sources on both sides of the axles. It would be difficult to plumb drains high enough above the axles to give clearance while also maintaining the correct amount of "downhill" so that they drain properly - while *also* not intruding into living space.

Looking at your floorplan online, it seems to be that your bathroom is in front of your axles and your kitchen sink is behind. All drains should be on the driver's side, and you should have one outlet in front of the axle and one behind.

If you look closely at your black tank drain, could it be that there are handles for both black *and* gray attached to it? That is how my (admittedly much smaller) trailer is configured. At my outlet pipe, I have a black tank valve pointing toward the rear of the trailer and a gray valve opposite, pointing to the front of the trailer. I don't have to move my drain hose when draining both.

Does that make sense? I can take a photo of my setup, if it's not clear.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I figured it out, someone did a horrible job building this thing. The rod for the valve doesn't line up with the hole in the frame so they couldn't screw the valve handle on, so instead of fixing it they left it alone. So now I have to reach down through the hole with needle nose pliers and pull the valve open. Freakin idiots lol.
So you are saying you found a third handle? (but not connected to the valve)

Shame on your dealer for not showing you the locations.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #6

I actually figured it out, there was no handle screwed onto the rod for the valve for the bathroom gray tank because it didn't line up with the hole the handle is supposed to go through and instead of Forest River fixing it, they left it alone for the owner to deal with. I had to reach through the hole with needle nose pliers to pull the rod to open the valve. All sinks are infront of the axles btw.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #7

No I'm saying the dealer couldn't attach the handle because the rod for the valve that you screw the handle to didn't line up to the hole that the handle is supposed to go through on the frame. The rod was like an inch below so therefore I'd need to drill a new hole in the frame to be able to screw on the handle. Apparently the manufacturer didn't care to fix that issue. Camping world assumed the Galley handle drained both tanks, infact that's what they told me. They didn't build it though and so they just didn't know that the manufacturer messed up lol.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I actually figured it out, there was no handle screwed onto the rod for the valve for the bathroom gray tank because it didn't line up with the hole the handle is supposed to go through and instead of Forest River fixing it, they left it alone for the owner to deal with. I had to reach through the hole with needle nose pliers to pull the rod to open the valve. All sinks are infront of the axles btw.
Quote:
No I'm saying the dealer couldn't attach the handle because the rod for the valve that you screw the handle to didn't line up to the hole that the handle is supposed to go through on the frame. The rod was like an inch below so therefore I'd need to drill a new hole in the frame to be able to screw on the handle. Apparently the manufacturer didn't care to fix that issue. Camping world assumed the Galley handle drained both tanks, infact that's what they told me. They didn't build it though and so they just didn't know that the manufacturer f@#ked up lol.
I'm not releasing any of the responsibility of what the factory did or didn't do... BUT... they did not leave it for the OWNER to fix... those items are to be checked and repaired by the DEALER before the customer takes delivery.

That is what good dealers do. They go over the unit BEFORE you buy it and make sure all systems/items are working to satisfaction before you buy it.

Obviously, if Camping World didn't even know there was to be another drain handle, (and told you that) they don't have much knowledge of the products they sell.

This is something that would be taken care of under warranty (not left for the owner to deal with) and Camping World should fix it for you free of charge provided you are still within your warranty period.

Whether they have the skills to do so remains to be seen if they don't have the knowledge of some very basic R/V 101 items.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

It is possible the handle fell off. I lost 2 handles on my 2017 Wildcat in the first year, usually didn't find out until I got to the dump station. I used Loctite on all the threads when I bought new handles and I keep some spares just in case. When the gray tank handle fell off, the rod moved down to where it did not line up with the hole in the frame. I had to remove the liner to hold the rod up to screw on the new handle.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by corocky1998 View Post
It is possible the handle fell off. I lost 2 handles on my 2017 Wildcat in the first year, usually didn't find out until I got to the dump station. I used Loctite on all the threads when I bought new handles and I keep some spares just in case. When the gray tank handle fell off, the rod moved down to where it did not line up with the hole in the frame. I had to remove the liner to hold the rod up to screw on the new handle.
Yep... those handles do vibrate off periodically.
And, as you mentioned, the rod is typically pretty flexible in that, once the handle comes off, it no longer lines up with the hole. Usually no need to drill a new hole in the frame. Just line up the rod and install the handle in the existing hole. Locktite is a good suggestion.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I figured it out, someone did a horrible job building this thing. The rod for the valve doesn't line up with the hole in the frame so they couldn't screw the valve handle on, so instead of fixing it they left it alone. So now I have to reach down through the hole with needle nose pliers and pull the valve open.

Oh hell no!

That needs to be fixed sooner than later. Bet they tell that is how they are doing it now.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank