Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

Grey tank surprise

I'm in the process of replacing both the grey and black water dump valves on my Grand Surveyor unit which is not so easy with all of this being covered with the under-belly tin. Yesterday while making sure everything was ready to start the installation of all the "dump" plumbing I noticed that the grey water tank appeared to be hanging a bit much lower than the black water tank, although they should be the same for the plumbing to match up. Then I find that the metal bar used to hold the rear of the grey tank up was out of place and had allowed the tank to fall down about 2". This bar has a sort of square "Z" shape to it and one edge of the tank sets on one of the flat parts of this bar. The problem was that there are small (2"x4" maybe) rectangular plates welded to the ends of this bar, each has one hole drilled through it, and they used self-drilling/tapping screws to hold this to the metal frame. The screws were located in one bottom corner of each plate and had allowed the "Z" bar to rotate out of position. It appears that only the tin under-belly of this unit was supporting the grey tank. All is back in it's proper place now with an additional screw added to each side. I just keep getting amazed at the factory installed problems I find on this unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

would be nice to know the model and year so that other may check theres out !
It also maybe helpful to send an email to the factory and let them know so they can check qc !
good pickup !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Yuuuup! This unit is a 2005 Forest River Grand Surveyor GS291. Unfortunately with FR units for some time period having the enclosed under-belly this is not something one can easily see. My unit has the valves bolted directly to adapters mounted directly to the tank. Then it has the cables attached to the valves and the cables ran out to a molded plastic piece which is attached to the under-belly. With this configuration one has to get down on their knees to reach the handles to open the valves. This is one thing I am changing as I put all of this back together. The handles will located closer to the outer edge of the trailer's box although still low because this unit has the torsion axles which sit lower than leaf spring units. I did figure out a way to re-plumb the grey and black water exit lines so they would terminate at the rear of the unit for easier access. This would involve some re-piping but is feasible, maybe at a later date. Right now I just want to get it fixed and use the unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

rinky-dink looking self tapping screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post

they used self-drilling/tapping screws to hold this to the metal frame. The screws were located in one bottom corner of each plate and had allowed the "Z" bar to rotate out of position.

I just keep getting amazed at the factory installed problems I find on this unit.
I have been amazed myself
as I have noticed some of these
rinky-dink looking self tapping screws
that seem to be
holding more than they should be !!

they are also known
to work themselfs out easily

usually when I have to mess with one
I screw it back in with some JB Weld on it

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #5