Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

Grey water tank flusher- really works.

We've been in a FL CG for just about a month and two more to go, skipping winter. Anyway within a week of getting here both the black and Grey tanks went to (led indicator) 2/3's or full. MT the tanks they would still show 2/3 or full. Flushed the black tank with the pictured wand and all was fine. The Grey tank however is inaccessible as it normally is. For a couple of weeks I've been filling and dumping, using home chemicals and commercial chemicals nothing worked until today. I located a vacuum breaker/vent under the Bath sink, did some measurements and realized it seemed to be over the tank. Dropped a tape measure in the vent (removed vac valve) and sure enough it inserted 3.5 feet. I bought a utility hook up hose and a cap. Drilled the cap on the edge 3/32" and tested. Had a good jet. Hooked up, inserted into the tank and took about 15 minutes of blasting but sure nuff its clean and indicators are back to normal! Case you can find a access, its much quicker than chemicals and flushing. Also marked the hose edge where the nozzle and add ruler markings each foot so you know when to stop inserting. Zoom in you can see the orifice in the black cap, drilled through cap and thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose wand.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	22586  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

what do you think is causing the gray tank sensors to give a faulty reading?unlike the black tank where you have solids and paper to foul the sensors,in the gray tank you only have soapy water.at our seasonal site,the gray water and galley tank valves are left open. water in the traps blocks any sewer odor.i have never had to use chemicals in the gray water tanks. i only have to deal with emptying the black water tank.
(i'm assuming you are hooked up to sewage at your site )
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Too old to be too smart

I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to add some Calgon water softener powder once-in-a-while, just like in the black tank, and for the same reason.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill
what do you think is causing the gray tank sensors to give a faulty reading?unlike the black tank where you have solids and paper to foul the sensors,in the gray tank you only have soapy water.at our seasonal site,the gray water and galley tank valves are left open. water in the traps blocks any sewer odor.i have never had to use chemicals in the gray water tanks. i only have to deal with emptying the black water tank.
(i'm assuming you are hooked up to sewage at your site )
Yes we are hooked up. I know some people leave the grey open, problem with that is eventually lots of scum will build up and you'll be left quite a mess. If you ever clean a shower or sink trap because of poor drainage, you' see what I mean. Add to that oils and food particles, it makes it worse. Its not really sudsy clean water. The sensors fouling, I think, is not from stuff hanging on them. Its caused by the tank skin being wet/dry while traveling or in use. The liquid leaves behind a conductive residue which eventuall allow a electrical path to indicate a level when its really just debris path between probes. Since we are stayin longer, we don't have the sloshing motion to help clean

I failed to mention the probes were on the same end of tank as the temp access. It still took quite some time to clean them. I could heart the spray hitting the tank end fro outside. I have my 15 minute fix

if the dumps are left open and the tanks not treated all season, I strongly suggest you determine if the drains in your tanks are opposite the dump valves. If they are you will have a serious build up of scum, hard solids, and bacteria strains not strains yet dicovered.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good tip VinceU. I'm going to see if I can access the galley tank the same way via the kitchen sink drain vent. I have no issues with the gray tank monitor but the galley tank monitor never shows empty anymore. I haven't been doing the GEO method on it but I plan on starting.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
Good tip VinceU. I'm going to see if I can access the galley tank the same way via the kitchen sink drain vent. I have no issues with the gray tank monitor but the galley tank monitor never shows empty anymore. I haven't been doing the GEO method on it but I plan on starting.

Dave
Thanks Dave, started out tracing the 1-1/2"roof vent down. From a few posts I've read seemed it was a straight shot to the tank. It isn't, fact is it comes down maybe three feet behind the tank and is lead fwd and in. This will work with any Georgetown 378. In fact it should work with most vac breakers. My last unit, a Coachmen, bath sink also led direct to the grey tank under a vac breaker. Thats good design, not guaranteed it's there of course.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

My parents had a '96 TT that was the first one they had with tank sensors and both the black and grey tanks stopped showing empty. I would replace the sensors in the tanks and they would only work for a while but go back to not empty again. I finally installed the "Quickie Flush" on both tanks were they would spray off the sensors, and never had a problem after that. My new V-light had a flusher in the black tank from the factory, but not the grey or galley tanks. I installed one in each before our first trip and have had no problems with any of the three tanks. I have installed a total of 8 on various trailers my parents and I have owned, have not had sensor problems on any of them. Have been very happy with the "Quickie Flush".
Attached Images

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote