Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Grey Wolf 25rrt - Fresh Water tank concern?

I just purchased a Grey Wolf 25rrt. We will always be camping outside of parks, no water available. We will have to haul in our water. I have read several threads here regarding the fresh water tanks falling from the RV frame. I have not found any references to this happening with the Grey Wolfs specifically. I was planning a simple brace using unistrut clamped to the i-beam but, when I went to do it I discovered I should have looked at this in more detail first. My trailer has the offroad package that raises the frame 2 inches. So, right where I was going to add the braces are 2" tubes welded to the i-beam. I have no where to mount the strut. I will look at some right angle brackets and maybe screw to the square tube to support the unistrut but, that tubing is pretty thin.

Am I over thinking this and being too paranoid? I can see the bottom of the water tank bulging downward (filled 3/4 full). The dealer of course told me he has never seen this happen and guaranteed Forest River would fix it under warranty. But, why would I want to be sitting on the side of the road trying to figure out how to get my fresh water tank off the ground, so I can get it to the dealer?

I would upload pictures but, too hot during the day (107º today) so waited until dark (only 93º now) and pictures are to hard to make out detail.
Mike_Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #2

For a 2020 model yes you are paranoid.
If you take a look at your tank and it looks like it weak or some bolts broke broke then I'd talk to Forest River and let them fix it under warranty.

This is just my personal experience rving for 40 plus years and have never heard of someone tank falling out.

Until then enjoy your new rig and relax.

PS where did you read this about the water tank dropping out?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #3

Iggy, there are numerous threads on this forum. Search for "fresh water tank fell" and you will find many. My supports do not look like the ones in those posts but, when I evaluate the supports I have I think wow, I never would have designed them that way. At first look I think they are sufficient but, still potentially weak. If not a lot of work may be worth bracing (simple risk analysis).
Mike_Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #4

I have read those threads about the tanks even on other forums, Definitely if you can add support, it wouldn't hurt having peace of mind,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #5

Some of them spread the supports that are there. Just preventing them from spreading should do the job.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

It is common for screws to break. Just keep an eye on them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7842E75-3B0C-4F4E-90D5-43CE8C3B8B59.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	230831  
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #7

Those self drilling cap screws my only be grade 2 and if over tightened will pop the hex off like the one pictured.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #8

If that really bothers you ,you can always drill a hole next to the broken one and put another self taper right next to it .
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #9

Spot weld will do it also and you will never have to worry about it until you want to replace the tank which should be never.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #10

If you don't have room for Unistrut could you use metal strapping that has predrilled holes like the Unistrut tubing.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, grey wolf, tank, water, water tank