Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
these are just long shots.

do you have anything like a reverse osmosis filter that might be connected to the drain? clothes washer or dish washer? perhaps an ice maker or refrigerator that has an internal drain? is there a roof vent that might be collecting water?
You actually have the best ideas that I've seen so far, other than somebody at the factory plumbed something wrong.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #42

I do not believe your camper is plumbed wrong. After all, it worked perfectly while boondocking.

City water pressure seems to be the mot likely cause but the problem could also be a faulty faucet.

Lets test them all at one time. Get 3 one gallon storage bags. Use Zip Ties to tie each to the spouts of the Tub, Lavatory and Kitchen faucets. Make certain all the handles are turned off. Install the drain plugs in all the fixtures

Connect the city water and turn it on. Monitor the bags and the bowls/tub to see which one which ones drip into the bag, or which bowls fill without water getting into the bag.

Any faucets that leak should be replaced whether they leak into the bag or into the bowl.

The camper is new, the dealer should change the faulty fixtures on warranty but they will replace them with the same cheap crap installed to begin with.

If it were me Id get faucets from a plumbing supply or Big Box store and be done with it.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I do not believe your camper is plumbed wrong. After all, it worked perfectly while boondocking.

City water pressure seems to be the mot likely cause but the problem could also be a faulty faucet.

Lets test them all at one time. Get 3 one gallon storage bags. Use Zip Ties to tie each to the spouts of the Tub, Lavatory and Kitchen faucets. Make certain all the handles are turned off. Install the drain plugs in all the fixtures

Connect the city water and turn it on. Monitor the bags and the bowls/tub to see which one which ones drip into the bag, or which bowls fill without water getting into the bag.

Any faucets that leak should be replaced whether they leak into the bag or into the bowl.

The camper is new, the dealer should change the faulty fixtures on warranty but they will replace them with the same cheap crap installed to begin with.

If it were me Id get faucets from a plumbing supply or Big Box store and be done with it.

I've taken a couple days off from trying to figure this out. I was really doubting my understanding of reality and finally convinced myself that this is all in my head and there is no problem. My tank level went from practically empty to 2/3 when I checked half an hour ago. I'm going to watch close and let it back into the tub again so I can confirm I'm not insane.

I'm sure it's plumbed correct too, I'm just worried that there may have been damage or faulty installation beneath the floor, somewhere totally inaccessible, that's not only compromised my water lines, but also put a hole in my tank.

Aside from the bag trick, which I'm gonna try next, I'm at the point where I'm gonna insist the dealership figures it out.

I'll let you folks know what happens.
Skelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #44

I would place a cup under every faucet/showerhead that could possibly drain into the grey tank, just to completely rule out a leak.

Edit: crap, I didn't notice there were 3 pages of replies. I only read the first page. I'm sure this has been suggested and tried.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #45
Retired Old Fart

Any chance one of the vent caps on the roof has blown off leaving a direct path for rain to get in to the grey tank?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #46

Nope, both the stacks still have caps. And it hasn't rained in weeks here.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #47

Could it be that they plumbed the fresh water pump pick up to the grey tank and it is filling due to check valve not seated? I would not use the fresh water pump until I knew that..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelectrician View Post
I've taken a couple days off from trying to figure this out. I was really doubting my understanding of reality and finally convinced myself that this is all in my head and there is no problem. My tank level went from practically empty to 2/3 when I checked half an hour ago. I'm going to watch close and let it back into the tub again so I can confirm I'm not insane.

I'm sure it's plumbed correct too, I'm just worried that there may have been damage or faulty installation beneath the floor, somewhere totally inaccessible, that's not only compromised my water lines, but also put a hole in my tank.

Aside from the bag trick, which I'm gonna try next, I'm at the point where I'm gonna insist the dealership figures it out.

I'll let you folks know what happens.

Your city water connection runs from the outside hose connection to the cold water supply just After your Water Pump, that is all. It incorporates a backflow preventer to keep the pup from pushing all your fresh water out onto the ground.

If it ONLY happens on the City Connection and Not with the pump then some failure is not the problem either, a failure would cause the same phenomena with both sources of supply.

What is different about the City Water and the Pump, NOTHING, Except the pressure produced in the camper's water supply system.

I do not believe the city water supply system itself is the problem, most likely IMHO is over pressure. Id also try putting a pressure regulator on that hose connection, they are cheap.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
most likely IMHO is over pressure. Id also try putting a pressure regulator on that hose connection.
What is your theory?

Bruce
Old 08-03-2021, 05:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Could it be that they plumbed the fresh water pump pick up to the grey tank and it is filling due to check valve not seated? I would not use the fresh water pump until I knew that..

Read the OP's first post, he went camping for 4 days boondocking and NO problems, the system IS NOT plumbed wrong. Don't you think he would notice soapy water coming out of his faucets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
What is your theory?

Bruce
Too much pressure forcing water through a faucet slowly, but the bags over the spouts and plugs in the drains will very quickly prove or dispel my idea.

And I think it will be solved by his using a pressure regulator.

The Pex tubing used in todays campers is some VERY tough stuff. It takes several hundred PSI to cause it to fail. The weak link in that system are the plastic fittings the RV manufactures use I do not know what they are rated at.

BUT, if a fitting or even the tubing failed somewhere the water would be running either into the camper, flooding it, or onto the ground. Even a hurricane would not produce enough rain to get that much water into a grey tank through a missing roof vent.

The only possible sources of entry into the grey tank is through the sink and tub drains...........this is the basis for my thoughts, could I be wrong, sure.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #51

UPDATE!!!

I found it. Now I feel dumb for not finding it sooner.

One of the tub faucet fittings was leaking behind the wall and was leaking down my tub surround and into the tub. Must need to go see the eye doctor or something cause there's no way I shouldn't have seen this.

Thank goodness the caulking job was so poor it leaked through to the outside of the tub surround instead of backing up into the wall cavity. Although I guess I'd have found it sooner if it did. Hopefully the link to this image works.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #52

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SCl...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 08-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #53
Cousins

Quote:
Here is the picture for you without having to click on the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6483CEB2-051C-47DA-AC6F-FB9CA3810ABF.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	260580  
Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #54

You the man !!

Quote:
UPDATE!!!

I found it. Now I feel dumb for not finding it sooner.

One of the tub faucet fittings was leaking behind the wall and was leaking down my tub surround and into the tub. Must need to go see the eye doctor or something cause there's no way I shouldn't have seen this.

Thank goodness the caulking job was so poor it leaked through to the outside of the tub surround instead of backing up into the wall cavity. Although I guess I'd have found it sooner if it did. Hopefully the link to this image works.

CONGRATULATIONS !!! We all knew you could do it !!!!

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure most of us just added this to our memory banks.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #55

Looks like Doglasreid nailed it! Glad you found it and thanks for reporting back your findings…

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #56

Hooray!
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #57

GOOD JOB!! All it took was perseverance.

Owning these things is a Constant Learning Experience.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #58
Pickin', Campin', Mason

GREAT!
Thanks for you perseverance in staying with the issue until resolution. And thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Many of us suggested it had to be a leak into a drain somehow. Thankfully enough of us continued to suggest that until you found it.

And be thankful the leak went INTO the tub! Imaging the mess if it had dribbled down the back of the tub surround onto the floor below the tub and eventually into the underbelly.

Also goes to show... some leaks can occur on higher pressure city water than when using the pump. Another good argument for a pressure regulator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
GREAT!
Thanks for you perseverance in staying with the issue until resolution. And thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Many of us suggested it had to be a leak into a drain somehow. Thankfully enough of us continued to suggest that until you found it.

And be thankful the leak went INTO the tub! Imaging the mess if it had dribbled down the back of the tub surround onto the floor below the tub and eventually into the underbelly.

Also goes to show... some leaks can occur on higher pressure city water than when using the pump. Another good argument for a pressure regulator.
#humblebrag
Old 08-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #60

Thanks for letting us know what it was. Nobody guessed a leaky fitting in the wall running into the tub, we all figured something like that would find it's way onto the floor or the underbelly.

Tags
city water, tank, water, water tank