Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

GW tank over fill question

If you over fill the GW tank (or the BW for that matter) what is supposed to happen? Is it supposed to break through the valve and start leaking from where you hook up your sewer hose to dump or is it supposed to back up into your tub (lowest point)??
PBallie1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Dallas Texas

I had the same quation a month ago. I was told it would back up into the pipes above. If the tank is truely sealed that's exactly what should happen. I'm not going to test - maybe some on the forum has already found out.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Been there done that. The greywater tank will back up into the shower/tub first and yes its the low point. The blackwater will fill the goose neck of the toilet then the toilet bowl and then the floor and then drip under your RV. Yep been a full timer for a couple of years now.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The grey water tank when full will start filling the shower base. The black tank will start to fill the pipe between the toilet and the tank. I don't want to see where it would go past that point.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Oh yea, and you could plug (temp) the vent on your black water tank too.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

OK I needed to know because my DH and this instance it is DUMB not darling forgot the GW was almost full on our 1st ever camping trip and took a shower. The tank read full, but did not come up in the tub. But we we opened the cap to dump some in a 20 gallon bucket it started to pour out even though the GW was closed I checked it myself. Even after draining & closing it kept dripping.Then it happened again @ the dump station even though tank was only 1/3 full, so I figured the valve or seal was bad and took it in for warranty repair. The dealer said they filled the tank and it had not leaked at all, they are going to replace the valve anyway, but I am just trying to figure out what happened here. And it was def not BW it didn't smell, it was grey, and when we dumped the BW it came out just fine and was yellow!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #7

Well I found out what it was. When we were given our walk through and "school" on our model the tech only showed us one GW valve & 1 BW valve. I know for sure because we video taped the whole thing. Apparently the are 2 GW valves. The guy I talked to wasn't sure if I have 2 GW tanks or not, but he said they will have it all figured out by tomorrow. Jeesh. I feel like I being taught by the 3 Stooges...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #8

OH and the manuals are so general you can't figure out anything specific by reading that either! They are written for all the travel trailers and 5th wheels, even though there are many options and differences between them. I expected our tech to be the expert... Good grief.