Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #1
Eaa

H20 heater issue

2014 Suburban h20 heater. Electric does not work on it. Only propane works. That's a different issue.

Inside switch was on as we needed hot water. After my shower, I shut the switch inside but left the propane valve open on the propane tank.

3 hours later, I hear the water heater fire up. I go inside and verified that I did turn the switch off. Water heater is running with the switch off.

I then go outside to shut the propane valve off. Gas stops flowing. I hear some clicks coming from the hot water heater. The left reset button was out so I pushed it in. The right switch did not change position when I pushed it.

Help.....is my inside switch bad? Is something wrong on the water heater? I am seeking help on how to fix this.

Many thanks.

Eaa
Eaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #2
Site Team

See comments in red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaa View Post
2014 Suburban h20 heater. Electric does not work on it. Only propane works. That's a different issue.

Inside switch was on as we needed hot water. After my shower, I shut the switch inside but left the propane valve open on the propane tank.

3 hours later, I hear the water heater fire up. I go inside and verified that I did turn the switch off. Water heater is running with the switch off.

Can you post a pic of this switch for the propane heating mode? I have a reason for wanting to see a pic. We have seen the switches fro the water heater get confused for the tank heaters (two different things)

I then go outside to shut the propane valve off. Gas stops flowing. I hear some clicks coming from the hot water heater.

The clicks are the DSI attempting to make sparks to ignite the propane. Without the propane cylinders open, this water heater will attempt three times to ignite, then go into lockout mode. To reset the lockout, you must turn off the water heater switch for a few seconds, then back on. If this switch has some how went bad, then this may not be possible. Still would like to see a pic of the switch inside the RV first.

The left reset button was out so I pushed it in. The right switch did not change position when I pushed it.

The left reset button goes tot he electric heating element, and the right goes to the propane/dsi mode of heating. This reset is to the hi-limit ECO (emergency cut off) thermostats. When tripped, that mode of heating will not function. You stated your electric element did not work. It may now that you have verified it's ECO hi-limit was tripped and you reset it. The electric element has a switch on the face of the water heater and depending on Suburban model could also have one inside the RV. See this link for more details before attempting to operate on electric element

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

Help.....is my inside switch bad? Is something wrong on the water heater? I am seeking help on how to fix this.

The switch could be bad, but would like to see a pic of it before saying it is.

Many thanks.

Eaa

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater