Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #61

Drew Industries?! How did the executives have time to manage their myriad of diverse companies when they had to be spending all their time in acquisitions and de-acquisitions.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Not sure it takes a gob of skill to operate a 'glue gun'. They aren't certified welds after all so it's not a big step up from making burgers really.....

Modern MIG machines basically do everything for the operator, I own a couple. I own one that produces TIG quality (in appearance) welds at 3 times the speed of conventional TIG welding.

I wasn't aware they owned HappiJac. Glad my tiedown's were purchased years ago, that ir what I use to secure my Palomino TC to by truck, still use the original set from a camper ago.

I wonder if they make frames for mobile homes too?

Don't make me feel bad, I just ordered and received a Furrion rear observation wireless camera for my TC. 289 bucks at Wallyworld, delivered.

least if it's sub par, I can return it. Wallyworld is good about that.

Sounds like Drew/Lippert needs a Buffett infusion.
I have yet to see a weld on Lippert's frames that does not look like it was done by Ronald McDonald.

I'll give credit where due, I bought the Furrion Observation camera also, So far it works well on my 23' Roo. Others with longer rigs have had some range issues so I have read. I also always liked their shore power system. Most of their electronics are junk. Ask anyone with a grand design that are stuffed with the Furrion electronics. Never thought I'd see something worse than an IRV radio but Furrion makes them, or imports them.

They need an infusion of something, they'll get it the next time an economic downturn hits.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #63

The problem isn't the weld it is the light guage steel used for a crossmember. It flexes too easily. One side of the tank is supported by a heavy guage angle iron bracket attached with screws. It is plenty strong.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The problem isn't the weld it is the light guage steel used for a crossmember. It flexes too easily. One side of the tank is supported by a heavy guage angle iron bracket attached with screws. It is plenty strong.
At least on the Roo's and Minilites the angles are the same size and no crossmember is used. Its a standard Lippert part and most likely comes already attached to the frame when delivered. One angle is welded to the frame rail, the other screwed with tek screws. The angles are not substantial enough to carry the load. See post #57.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #65

I'm sure there are many variations among the various models, with the common thread being the lightweight crossmember.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #66

I just finished reinforcing my cross members with angle iron. Attached is a picture of the forward cross member (before repair) showing the point of failure. Exactly as Mr. Havercamp indicated, the point of failure is where the cross member has two cut-outs. The rear cross member seemed to be holding up pretty well. The difference is that the rear cross member only has one cut-out at each support strap location. It's definitely the additional cut-outs on the vertical portion of the forward cross member that's causing the problem although they should also be of heavier gage steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	126042  
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #67

That is scary!
Andersen hitch
Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Sounds like Drew/Lippert needs a Buffett infusion.

Drew bought the companies and watered them down for profit. Buffet would farther water them down for greater profit.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #69

UPDATE - Response from Forest River to my Warranty Claim.

I took my trailer in for repair and asked the shop to "beef up the supports" when they fixed it. When they opened the bottom, they did find that the support welds had failed and the supports were bent. Forest River was willing to pay for the upgraded supports that were used, just not the labor to fix it. Although it wasn't a complete warranty payment, I am happy Forest River at least took some ownership in the repair. I wasn't sure what was going to happen after the first response came back that it states in the manual not to tow with water in the tank.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
UPDATE - Response from Forest River to my Warranty Claim.

I took my trailer in for repair and asked the shop to "beef up the supports" when they fixed it. When they opened the bottom, they did find that the support welds had failed and the supports were bent. Forest River was willing to pay for the upgraded supports that were used, just not the labor to fix it. Although it wasn't a complete warranty payment, I am happy Forest River at least took some ownership in the repair. I wasn't sure what was going to happen after the first response came back that it states in the manual not to tow with water in the tank.
That's a good thing. How about a picture of what was done?

I crawled under a 21SS and 2 different 23ikss Roos yesterday at the Pittsburgh RV Show. They still are coming with the lightweight Lippert supports. I guess they're rolling the dice hoping warranty claims do not outweigh the cost to use real supports that would do the job from day 1? They have to be aware.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #71

My trailer has the covered bottom so I would have to pull that down to see the final repair. They said they dropped the tank and welded all new, heavier gauge steel in for cross members and all supports. They issued a written statement to me that I was now able to tow with a full tank of fresh water.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #72

Quote:
My trailer has the covered bottom so I would have to pull that down to see the final repair. They said they dropped the tank and welded all new, heavier gauge steel in for cross members and all supports. They issued a written statement to me that I was now able to tow with a full tank of fresh water.
Nice! Congrats and thanks for the follow up!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #73
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Great news!
Thanks for posting back.
It helps others looking for solutions.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #74
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
From the FR email:

"If the coach was transported with full tanks, it’s likely the added weight, when hitting bumps, could compromise the brackets. We mention on Pg. 15 of your Owner’s Manual that travelling with Full tanks is not recommended because each gallon of water weighs 8+ pounds."
I still would like to see the scan from the owners manual Pg. 15.

Stating... "travelling with Full tanks is not recommended because each gallon of water weighs 8+ pounds." and then saying in an email... "If the coach was transported with full tanks, it’s likely the added weight, when hitting bumps, could compromise the brackets." is two COMPLETELY different things!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I still would like to see the scan from the owners manual Pg. 15.

Stating... "travelling with Full tanks is not recommended because each gallon of water weighs 8+ pounds." and then saying in an email... "If the coach was transported with full tanks, it’s likely the added weight, when hitting bumps, could compromise the brackets." is two COMPLETELY different things!
From what I can tell FR TT owners manuals say this and this only.....at least the 2016 and 2017 versions....when it comes to "Traveling with water" which is the heading it's under in the online version.

"When traveling, you may WANT to drain the tank or keep the quantity of water to a minimum. This will reduce the total weight of the RV for travel."
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #76

If FR would have acknowledged the problem and immediately recalled and fixed the affected trailers, this thread wouldn't exist. However, this issues is years old now and the only fix that I've seen FR make is to tell the dealers to advise their customers not to tow with full water. What a joke. Every TT I've ever had has been towed with full water. Get on the ball FR.

https://youtu.be/ZFRJttWRups

Tags
forest river, tank, water, water tank