Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Has Forest River fixed the weak freshwater tank brackets?

The video below explains the issue many have been having. Does any one know if this issue has been addressed.

https://youtu.be/ZFRJttWRups

Thanks
Old 11-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

I sincerely doubt it, my frame actually collapsed in the middle causing my tank to fold like a taco. I also learned that it's a 55 gallon tank, not 65 as advertised.

I did the same as you, I straightened out my frame then reenforced it with 1.25"X1/4" angle iron. I also tied the cross braces to the outer braces. Finally I covered the bottom of the tank with a 1/4" thick sheet of wood to prevent sagging between the braces.

Between that and the crappy vent system I'm considering scrapping it all and not only designing a new frame, a larger tank, a new vent system and replacing the sensors.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
The video below explains the issue many have been having. Does any one know if this issue has been addressed.

https://youtu.be/ZFRJttWRups

Thanks
I do not know if it has been addressed in later models. I think this is an issue with the manufacturer of the frame. I darn sure think that the CCC should be reduced or you should be warned that the frame will not support a full tank of water.

I have seen a tank drop happen in a 15 mph campground zone with a speed bump where somebody assumed the rig could just go over the speed bump at 20 plus.

I am thankful that I have not seen a black tank fall out.

The dark side of me wonders liability-wise that a water spill versus a bio hazard spill drives the frame manufacturers decision to spend less on the fresh water support for welding rods and steel to save money.

Has anybody had a black tank fall out?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I do not know if it has been addressed in later models. I think this is an issue with the manufacturer of the frame. I darn sure think that the CCC should be reduced or you should be warned that the frame will not support a full tank of water.

I have seen a tank drop happen in a 15 mph campground zone with a speed bump where somebody assumed the rig could just go over the speed bump at 20 plus.

I am thankful that I have not seen a black tank fall out.

The dark side of me wonders liability-wise that a water spill versus a bio hazard spill drives the frame manufacturers decision to spend less on the fresh water support for welding rods and steel to save money.

Has anybody had a black tank fall out?
Don't think you can load the blame entirely onto the frame manufacturer as they will supply whatever has been spec-ed out for them, if FR orders a frame it should be able to carry whatever it is deigned to carry.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Don't think you can load the blame entirely onto the frame manufacturer as they will supply whatever has been spec-ed out for them, if FR orders a frame it should be able to carry whatever it is deigned to carry.
You may be right here. If the spec does not call for the support of a liquid weight at max X pounds, then "Houston we have a problem". Perhaps the general and sub need to address the issue. I cannot think that this is a FR issue only.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

Here's before and after pics of my frame failure. I've towed many miles fully loaded on water without issue so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	125000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	125001  

Old 11-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #7

After my 60 gal FW tank fell out (the hoses and plastic belly pan kept it from dropping more than 12") I saw that there was ONE piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.125" angle iron across the frame with ONE 1/4" drill screw on each end holding the whole thing up.It now has FOUR 2"x2" x 3/16" angles,bolted thru with 5/16"-18 capscrews,heavy washers,and lock nuts.In retrospect,I sure wish I had re-done the overflow hose setup (which sucks because it siphons out)The only fix for that is a siphon break that I may be able tobuild by re-routig and extending the tube outside the frame,I'm just really tired of haveing to constantly be haveing to re-engineer things that a rabid squirrel could do better with.The whole unit could be bought pretty easily now because the wife is REALLY fed up with the constant BS.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
After my 60 gal FW tank fell out (the hoses and plastic belly pan kept it from dropping more than 12") I saw that there was ONE piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.125" angle iron across the frame with ONE 1/4" drill screw on each end holding the whole thing up.It now has FOUR 2"x2" x 3/16" angles,bolted thru with 5/16"-18 capscrews,heavy washers,and lock nuts.In retrospect,I sure wish I had re-done the overflow hose setup (which sucks because it siphons out)The only fix for that is a siphon break that I may be able tobuild by re-routig and extending the tube outside the frame,I'm just really tired of haveing to constantly be haveing to re-engineer things that a rabid squirrel could do better with.The whole unit could be bought pretty easily now because the wife is REALLY fed up with the constant BS.
What I did was add a T and a drain valve at the end of the vent hose, then on the other side of the T I ran a few feet of clear hose up and over my propane tank. I open the valve until water runs out of the drain, then I close the drain and let it keep filling until water runs out of the extension. I don't have a siphon problem and I get much more water in my tank since my vent line is 1" below the top of the tank.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

I do not see anyone from FR chiming in ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I do not see anyone from FR chiming in ???
Nope, and the Lottery folks didn't bring my 10 million dollars today.
I don't see either happening any time soon.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #11

Just out of curiosity, are these tank frame failures mainly on ultra lights?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The frame around the water tank on my classic super lite looks nothing like the photos here.

Most of the posts I've seen with problems were Roo owners but not all.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Its a standard Lippert part.
https://store.lci1.com/water-tank-support-53-3-4-x-28

They also make a larger one also which is made from the same size bent plate members, so if it bends with a 37 gallon tank that is 28" wide just consider the extra weight of a tank that is 45" wide.
https://store.lci1.com/70-x-45-fresh-water-tank-tray-sa

I know for a fact its used on Rockwood Roo's, Minilites, and all the Rockwood bumper pulls........You hear more from Roo and Minilite owners because they don't have an enclosed underbelly. I have seen the same support frames on Coachmen and Salem TT's also.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #14

The coroplast will hold it up!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I sincerely doubt it, my frame actually collapsed in the middle causing my tank to fold like a taco. I also learned that it's a 55 gallon tank, not 65 as advertised.

I did the same as you, I straightened out my frame then reenforced it with 1.25"X1/4" angle iron. I also tied the cross braces to the outer braces. Finally I covered the bottom of the tank with a 1/4" thick sheet of wood to prevent sagging between the braces.

Between that and the crappy vent system I'm considering scrapping it all and not only designing a new frame, a larger tank, a new vent system and replacing the sensors.
The plywood bottom is a great idea. I which I would have done something like that. My tank distorts ridiculously when it's full.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #16

Quote:
The plywood bottom is a great idea. I which I would have done something like that. My tank distorts ridiculously when it's full.

You need to be really careful with not adding too much support. On our 2017 Rockwood Roo they had the fresh tank installed tight to the underside of the laminated floor. When the tank is full, even with new brackets the top will balloon up especially if the trailer is out of level side to side. If you restrict the ballooning at the bottom with plywood, its going to ballon somewhere (the top). It will start lifting the floor. The only place the floor is attached is at the ends of the outriggers. I had mine lift a full 3/8 of an inch in the center when the trailer was out of level side to side as the water all went to the low end of the tak and them tried to find level, ballooning up the top on that end....almost a hydraulic jack.

I now have a 3/4" space above the tank / tanks.

I added 2nd 37 gallon tank. The tank is the same exact size as the tank that was installed by Rockwood however it has rounded corners and is made from plastic twice as thick. It does not balloning anywhere near as much as the factory tank. Some of these problems can be attributed to the cheap thin tanks they use.

Before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_121303.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	125102   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_161633.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	125103  
Old 11-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You need to be really careful with not adding too much support. On our 2017 Rockwood Roo they had the fresh tank installed tight to the underside of the laminated floor. When the tank is full, even with new brackets the top will balloon up especially if the trailer is out of level side to side. If you restrict the ballooning at the bottom with plywood, its going to ballon somewhere (the top). It will start lifting the floor. The only place the floor is attached is at the ends of the outriggers. I had mine lift a full 3/8 of an inch in the center when the trailer was out of level side to side as the water all went to the low end of the tak and them tried to find level, ballooning up the top on that end....almost a hydraulic jack.

I now have a 3/4" space above the tank / tanks.

I added 2nd 37 gallon tank. The tank is the same exact size as the tank that was installed by Rockwood however it has rounded corners and is made from plastic twice as thick. It does not balloning anywhere near as much as the factory tank. Some of these problems can be attributed to the cheap thin tanks they use.

Before and after.
Thanks for that. I know exactly what you are talking about. After I installed the reinforced cross braces and filled it up for the first time, I started hearing some creaking and cracking sound. Fortunately, I stopped before the floor hydraulic-ed out of the camper, ha. So, I'm letting it sag. I fully expect it to bust however but I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for reminding me not to turn my water tank into a balloon.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a 2014 Cardinal 3450RL and it's in the shop right now having the water tank bracket repaired. The plastic underbelly sheeting was the only thing that kept it from falling completely out. There was a 1/4" sheet of plywood under the tank as it sat on the bracket. I'm not the only member of the Cardinal RV Club that has had the same problem.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for that. I know exactly what you are talking about. After I installed the reinforced cross braces and filled it up for the first time, I started hearing some creaking and cracking sound. Fortunately, I stopped before the floor hydraulic-ed out of the camper, ha. So, I'm letting it sag. I fully expect it to bust however but I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for reminding me not to turn my water tank into a balloon.

For what its worth TT.......my factory tank sags quite a bit between my new crossbraces......but that HDPE plastic is some tough stuff. I have not seen any burst......crack at a spin weld fitting I have seen, but have never seen one just split wide open. I have much more faith in my 2nd tank made by Alpha Systems and thats the one I fill on trips. The factory is only filled now at the destination when we dont have water hook ups. Next spring I just might buy another Alpha systems tank as they are only a $115. How much money do you think FR saved with the thin flimsy generic tank?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Mine is a 346RETS, I don't know about mainly ultra lights but it sure happened to me.

Tags
forest river, tank, water, water tank