Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Haul water or not.

This is the question. I think I know what the answers will be.

Background. Salem Hemisphere 25RBHL 2020. I have filled and hauled water 19 miles in the past with no issue. (that I know of so far)

Upcoming trip, need to stop and get water, not sure if I can do it 19 miles away again or not, have another option thats 53 miles away.

19 miles away is roads that are max 50 mph. 53 miles is probably about 40 miles or so on the ohio turnpike.

Should I worry about the extra 40 miles at higher speeds?

The last time I filled the tank I only moved it a 100 yards. There was no "bowing" or anything. Most recently it was half full but I let it drain on the ride home on the x-way (it was already raining out anyway).

Thoughts?
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
llr

I always leave home with a full tank, weather 50 or 500 miles.

My last trailer had a little stability issue with full water tank as it was clear in the back, so I added some water to the front galley grey tank to counter it.
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

You'll get 50/50 answers. Half will say travel with a full water tank and don't worry about. The other half will say that your fresh water tank will fall off the trailer if you do.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
You'll get 50/50 answers. Half will say travel with a full water tank and don't worry about. The other half will say that your fresh water tank will fall off the trailer if you do.
And you'd always be half right with half a tank.. [emoji3]
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
And you'd always be half right with half a tank.. [emoji3]
Is that half full or half empty, though ?!?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Team

If we are dry camping, we always travel with a full FW tank from home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We never leave home without a full tank regardless of mileage.
Never know what might happen along the way (or once you get there) and you are not able to get water where you thought you might get water.

There's no appreciable amount of fuel mileage difference and those that are so close on weight limits where they feel they can't haul water, have the wrong rig.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #8

We leave home with whatever water in in the freshwater tank which is at least 1/3 full unless we'll be dry camping (rare these days) and it's full. Fresh water is for enroute use -- we're never more than 25 feet from a bathroom.

Our water tank is in the extreme front of the trailer and is inside the cabin above the floor, not hanging off the bottom.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #9

We rarely dry camp so my choice on how much water to carry depends on how much wind we expect to encounter. I always want to have enough water for use on the road. Carrying more water than I need uses more gas.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #10

Haul water or not

If you have a water tank that holds 50 gallons, you will be carrying an extra 418 lbs over an empty tank. We travel light when it comes to stuff in our TT so I travel with a full tank of water. You never know what type of water you are getting when you go to some parks. I've seen water that was so nasty looking coming from campgrounds that I wouldn't wash my truck with it.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #11

Ive got a 25 Pack 12....with some water tank " Bracing issues "....so Im installing several one and a half inch angle irons under each tank...drilled n tapped quarter twenty screws.
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #12

Make those screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice5 View Post
Ive got a 25 Pack 12....with some water tank " Bracing issues "....so Im installing several one and a half inch angle irons under each tank...drilled n tapped quarter twenty screws.
Make those screws 1/4-20 grade 8 stainless hex bolts if they are supporting any weight. I've had 1/4-20 stovebolts twist off with a screwdriver.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #13

Official Forest River response?

So everyone does there thing, but what does Forest River say? Has anyone had a tank fall out and the repairs covered under warranty? Or someone whom knows the design load of the tank brackets. I have read the manuals and know where does it say anything about towing with tanks volumes. Just asking the deeper question. Are the water tanks designed to travel full?
bswanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #14

It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanney View Post
So everyone does there thing, but what does Forest River say? Has anyone had a tank fall out and the repairs covered under warranty? Or someone whom knows the design load of the tank brackets. I have read the manuals and know where does it say anything about towing with tanks volumes. Just asking the deeper question. Are the water tanks designed to travel full?
The answer is "It depends." Some units are robust. Others have had problems.

Since you have not bothered to add your trailer make and model to your signature line, nor to your profile, nor posted in a forum specific to your make and model, you can't possibly get a good answer.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #15

I lost my black water tank - while parked!

In our new rig, we were parked in a camp - sitting & reading. I looked under the rig and saw something was bulging against the bottom cover. Further inspection showed the Black Water tank had dropped. Forest River did not secure the tank with straps, I guess they forgot. I ran straps over the tank and held it up until I dropped the rig off at the shop. Forest River covered it under warranty. What a mess if I had missed the bulge.
Don in the Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
If you have a water tank that holds 50 gallons, you will be carrying an extra 418 lbs over an empty tank. We travel light when it comes to stuff in our TT so I travel with a full tank of water. You never know what type of water you are getting when you go to some parks. I've seen water that was so nasty looking coming from campgrounds that I wouldn't wash my truck with it.
At some private campgrounds with wells, the water for me was rusty and super hard. My previous TT had the water tank installed just a foot from the back bumper. If I carried water and bikes I experienced trailer sway. So I travel without water and fill up at the campground and use an RV water softener. I've never experienced again bad water, enjoy soft water in showers and no more sway.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
At some private campgrounds with wells, the water for me was rusty and super hard. My previous TT had the water tank installed just a foot from the back bumper. If I carried water and bikes I experienced trailer sway. So I travel without water and fill up at the campground and use an RV water softener. I've never experienced again bad water, enjoy soft water in showers and no more sway.
My tank is over the rear axels so I don't have a problem with sway and actually helps me having the tank full. Different strokes for different folks.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Carrying more water than I need uses more gas.
Carrying extra water weight has little affect on fuel mileage. It's frontal air resistance that has the major affect on mileage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #19

Stop obsessing over tiny things. Yeah fresh water weight affects fuel use but I doubt anyone can measure it. 300 or 400 pounds is not much weight. Since air resistance is exponential a 1 mph difference in road speed -- or head/tail wind -- will probably affect fuel use more.

There's a 3% increase in air resistance speeding up from 60 to 61 mph and 17% increase at 65. Adds up quickly and this is air speed, not road speed so 60 against a 5 mph headwind is the same as driving 65.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
This is the question. I think I know what the answers will be.

Background. Salem Hemisphere 25RBHL 2020. I have filled and hauled water 19 miles in the past with no issue. (that I know of so far)

Upcoming trip, need to stop and get water, not sure if I can do it 19 miles away again or not, have another option thats 53 miles away.

19 miles away is roads that are max 50 mph. 53 miles is probably about 40 miles or so on the ohio turnpike.

Should I worry about the extra 40 miles at higher speeds?

The last time I filled the tank I only moved it a 100 yards. There was no "bowing" or anything. Most recently it was half full but I let it drain on the ride home on the x-way (it was already raining out anyway).

Thoughts?
You "should not" have to worry about carrying a full tank of water. However, Rockwood for one is know for having week frame to support the water tank and a very thin tank. I had to beef mine up and it's only 30 gallons. I don't have to worry about the tank falling out as happened to some but I don't trust the tank quality. I routinely carry a half tank and occasionally full tank if needed.

Tags
water