Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #21

If you are going to have someone come out and drop/pump a tank for you, just have them come pump your trailer directly. Unless of course you are filling your black tank so often that become more expensive than the tank rental (if the property owner would allow that in the first place)

I think I'd just prefer the macerator into tote in the truck bed option.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
... I think I'd just prefer the macerator into tote in the truck bed option.
Me, too, but I'm willing and able to deal with it.

I didn't know the tanks were rented as part of the service. While unattractive, it's very practical.

How much does the service cost? I have no clue.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #23

This site might provide some alternatives for the boondocking crowd!
https://www.rvdumps.com/map-of-rv-dump-stations/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #24

A 'honey wagon' is sometimes used to refer to a sewer service company that will pump out your holding tanks. I've seen them used in state parks to pump out park hosts holding tanks and at rv rallys. No idea what they cost.

Are you able to move your rig to take it to a local campground or state park to dump? Most will allow you to do it for a fee. That would be the less messy way.... unless your host will allow you to dump into his sewer. As long as you use nontoxic holding tank chemicals, it won't damage his septic system.

Being able to dump the grey water will save you a lot of hauling. It usually takes much longer to fill up a black water tank than a grey water tank.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #25

Questions

If using a honey wagon service, how does that work? Does it suck out the tank without damaging or collapsing the tank?

Or is it still a gravity dump into the honey wagon hose and then sucking up the effluent?

What is the cost range?

I have a never used flojet. I have a long larger diameter hose that I bought to use with it. The flow jet doesn’t clear the side wall of my RV.

I could use an adapter like a clear extension to hook up the FlowJet and pump to a laundry sink in my garage. My concerns with this method is if the smaller diameter sink drain is inappropriate and troublesome and the possibility of unwanted splashing.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
... I could use an adapter like a clear extension to hook up the FlowJet and pump to a laundry sink in my garage. ...
Eww!

Is your sewer line cleanout accessible? If so, unscrew it and drop your discharge line into it.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:26 PM   #27

Minus the laundry sink comment thanks for all the good info. I used the app to see there is a state park 14 miles away that charges 10$ to dump. I'm going to see the property and meet the guy next month when we go down to visit family and go from there. I'm thinking a pump and tank in bed of truck unless a company will come and pump a portable tank on the ground for a decent price. The low profile work trailer holding tank looks about right. Between the tank and rv i may be able to go 2-3 weeks in between pumps.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
If you are going to have someone come out and drop/pump a tank for you, just have them come pump your trailer directly. Unless of course you are filling your black tank so often that become more expensive than the tank rental (if the property owner would allow that in the first place)

I think I'd just prefer the macerator into tote in the truck bed option.
I'm currently using Rhino tank and macerator pump method while boondocking.

About once per week I transfer tank contents to Rhino tank in truck bed with macerator pump. Takes about 30 minutes including setup. Drive to dump station and less than 10 mins to dump.

Some people here have small utility trailers with big holding tanks as well as 55gal drums for drinking water. They dump waste then move to potable water faucet to fill drums for backhaul.

Lifting totes into trucks or even towing them to a CLOSE BY dump station is more of a hassle then the "pump and dump".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:44 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
If using a honey wagon service, how does that work? Does it suck out the tank without damaging or collapsing the tank?

Or is it still a gravity dump into the honey wagon hose and then sucking up the effluent?
Both. Gravity gets it to the hose of the wagon, then it sucks it up.

As long as the vents aren't blocked, it shouldn't collapse the 6anks. Our CG has one that is needed sometimes.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Eww!

Is your sewer line cleanout accessible? If so, unscrew it and drop your discharge line into it.
Yes, Eww is my primary concern.

No cleanout and we have a septic system but not convenient to parking area.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:10 PM   #31

My wife and I used a 100 gal construction type for 1 summer at camp ground while house was built. Both grey and black went in, once a week pump out from camp ground guy. The tank is lite you could put it in and out of truck bed. You’d have to pump in and out. This one had 2top 4inch holes, maybe 3inch. Used rubber bung washer to seal dump hose into it. Paid 100 used from the previous tenant.
eddarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Both. Gravity gets it to the hose of the wagon, then it sucks it up.

As long as the vents aren't blocked, it shouldn't collapse the 6anks. Our CG has one that is needed sometimes.
Thanks.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #33

We have our 5'r on our property and no septic system. We have the port-a- john service pump our black tank every two weeks, he only charges $20.00. I have dumped into the cleanout for the sewer system other times, over the years.
Ben
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
... Some people here have small utility trailers with big holding tanks as well as 55gal drums for drinking water. They dump waste then move to potable water faucet to fill drums for backhaul. ...
Should we find ourselves in circumstances where it's useful, I'll do the same with a 36 gallon Rhino and 30 gallon fresh water bladder in the bed of my truck.

I added a diverter valve and jumper hose between the water pump output and fresh tank water line. By connecting the fresh water bladder to the antifreeze intake I can pump the contents of the bladder into the fresh tank using the trailer's water pump.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Yes, Eww is my primary concern.

No cleanout and we have a septic system but not convenient to parking area.
Can you add a washing machine type p-trap drain onto the utility sink drain? If so, stuff the macerator pump waste line down it a foot or so and temporarily zip-tie it to the pipe. (Be sure not to cause a restriction.) The macerator pump doesn't produce enough pressure too push the hose out.

I don't have experience with it so I can't say how much volume it will produce and whether or not that will flow down the p-trap fast enough, but I'd think it should. Be sure the drain is vented so pressure or vacuum do not interfere with drainage.

I have no idea whether any of that meets code, if that's a concern.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:18 PM   #36

An earlier post said a 30-gallon tote would fill up every two days, but since you are only adding black water that is substantially above typical use in an RV. (A typical 1 gallon per flush house toilet would have to be flushed 15 times a day to fill up a 30-gallon tote in two days, and you're likely to flush a lot less than 15 times per day and use a lot less than one gallon per flush.) So don't panic about the necessary size of a tote.

Also for consideration before you talk to the host, I wouldn't let a visiting RV'er dump into my septic tank for two reasons. 1) My septic system is sized for one household's waste, and I'm already providing the design amount. 2) Because of the comparative lack of flush water going into your RV black tank the waste is much less diluted than household waste, putting an extra load on the anaerobic bacterial process in the septic tank, and potentially contaminating the drain field with undigested sewage.

People who dump into their own septic systems after a camping trip have two things going for them... a) it is likely no one was using their home system while they were gone, and b) doing it occasionally is significantly different than using both the house sewage system and an RV sewage system at the same time for extended periods.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #37

I would look into a composting toilet. Many of the full time boondocking/disperse RVers that I follow on YouTube are swapping out to this method. Supposedly they only need to dump the contents every few months.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
I would look into a composting toilet. Many of the full time boondocking/disperse RVers that I follow on YouTube are swapping out to this method. Supposedly they only need to dump the contents every few months.
Where is the collecting tank? Does it replace the black tank?

Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #39

The liquids and solids are separated from each other. The solids are treated with peat in the collection tank and you turn a crank to mix it up. The liquid is dumped out more often because it’s a small tank. Many folks modify the liquids to dump into the unused blank tank. Here is a video

Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Can you add a washing machine type p-trap drain onto the utility sink drain? If so, stuff the macerator pump waste line down it a foot or so and temporarily zip-tie it to the pipe. (Be sure not to cause a restriction.) The macerator pump doesn't produce enough pressure too push the hose out.

I don't have experience with it so I can't say how much volume it will produce and whether or not that will flow down the p-trap fast enough, but I'd think it should. Be sure the drain is vented so pressure or vacuum do not interfere with drainage.

I have no idea whether any of that meets code, if that's a concern.
Seems like a viable suggestion. I was thinking of installing a bathroom in there. It would be convenient to have one at that end of the house.

Tags
black, black tank, tank