Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #1

Hauling black tank contents long term?

Looking to snow bird in Florida for the winters. Trying to avoid cramped over priced rv parks. I have found a ranch owner who can provide an rv site with electric, water, and gray water dump for a work camping type relationship.

Because of the high water table he has concerns about black tank dumping. I have zero experience with pumps or honey wagons. Wondering how hard/expensive/dirty it would be to haul black tank every 7-10 days.

Assuming i could find a truckstop/campground in area allowing me to dump.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Do a search on the forums for "waste totes". You should get lots of ideas. There are ones that you can pull behind your vehicle that will hook to a hitch. Lots of different shapes and sizes.

It depends on how far you have to travel with it though.

At least one person I know uses a macerator pump and a large bladder that they put in the bed of their pickup.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Looking to snow bird in Florida for the winters. Trying to avoid cramped over priced rv parks. I have found a ranch owner who can provide an rv site with electric, water, and gray water dump for a work camping type relationship.

Because of the high water table he has concerns about black tank dumping. I have zero experience with pumps or honey wagons. Wondering how hard/expensive/dirty it would be to haul black tank every 7-10 days.

Assuming i could find a truckstop/campground in area allowing me to dump.
The situation you're describing is not uncommon among boondockers. I'm adopting a solution described by several others on this forum.
  • Using a portable waste tank that has a side valve, like a Rhino 36 gal or Barker 32 gal, put the empty tank in the bed of the TV with the side valve directed to the tailgate.
  • Get a macerator pump with a hose long enough (and large enough) to pump the contents of your black tank into the portable waste tank in the bed of your truck.
  • Drive to the dump station of your choice.
  • Drain waste tank using a standard sewer hose connected to the side valve.
Cost of required items on Amazon:
Rhino 2 wheel 36 gallon tank - $182
Flojet Portable RV waste pump - $249 (I bought a returned item for $190. Yes, it was clean. )
1" x 20' macerator discharge hose - $86
Total: $517

I have not done this yet. My advice is not from experience.

The discharge hose is an example. I have a long thread here about what type of hose to use, with a range of suggestions from other owners.

You probably already have a portable waste tank. The one above has a side valve which allows carrying it full in the bed of the truck and dumping from there. If yours is that type, you don't need to buy another.

Ependydad carries a custom-made sewer bladder in lieu of the portable waste tank, but he's a full-timer with a family. That's probably overkill for your purposes.

Edit: some owners use the above system to drain their black tank into the sewer access at their home.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #4

No septic system or sanitary sewer at this "ranch?" I dump my black tank into the sanitary sewer at home using a maceration pump into a toilet off the garage. As long as you're not poisoning the tank it won't hurt a septic system. (Anything blue is typically poison.)

Towing a waste tote more than a couple hundred feet ain't gonna work. Nor does exceeding walking speed -- which is under 5mph unless you're an Olympic walker. Towing to a septic or sanitary sewer will work but a lot of very distasteful work that might work for a weekend... You really want to do this for months?

Got a pickup truck? Perhaps a large agricultural tank -- meaning 50 or 100 gallons -- in the bed. Pump (need the pump) the waste in, drive to a dump point, and pump out (may need another pump). This means keeping this in the bed of the truck all the time. 30 gallon tote will fill up every two days...

Suggestion that just hit me: Rent a portable toilet. Yeah it's an outhouse but the service should include emptying it periodically. $200-$400/month with weekly service.

-- Chuck
Old 01-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #5

chriscowles thank you for the detailed info. Chuck S I had considered the porta potty route for solids but dont think my wife would go with the idea.

I'm not thinking a towable honey wagon. There is a reason I have never use one. I was thinking more a tank in the bed of my truck and a pump. In the process of negoation and setting up a meeting. I had asked about sewer at the house and had not received an answer yet.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Here's a good thread about it:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2578011
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
chriscowles thank you for the detailed info. Chuck S I had considered the porta potty route for solids but dont think my wife would go with the idea.

I'm not thinking a towable honey wagon. There is a reason I have never use one. I was thinking more a tank in the bed of my truck and a pump. In the process of negoation and setting up a meeting. I had asked about sewer at the house and had not received an answer yet.
Order the porta potty, use something like SewerFlo RV Macerator Quick Release RV Dump Station Mount and a hose to pump it into the porta potty as needed, let the service pick it up. Simple, done and DW can stay indoors.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #8

When Covid first hit in 2020 I had been working south of Grande Prairie in NW Alberta (Wellsite Geologist) and my wife was concerned about me being exposed while at the rig. So I went and pulled my unit out of storage and parked it on the driveway so I could stay in it instead of an AirBNB. I would stay for about 10 days or so, and just prior to heading back to the rig I would hook up and drive over to my local Canadian Tire that has a complimentary dump station to empty the the tanks (I would periodically empty my grey tank on my front lawn for the shower water). I would take the long way so the black tank would slosh around and there was never a problem. It would take me an hour or two to hook up, go to the dump and then park it again, but I quite enjoyed the stay. I'm sure the neighbours thought something was amiss though.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

At long term mobile field office locations without sewer connections, we’ve had the local port-a-John service set a temporary tank beside the trailer and they come and pump it out as needed.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many job work sites and tiny home folks are going the route of using and/or partially burying a plastic septic holding tank (just enough the R/V tank drains into it) and then having a septic company come pump it out as needed. Should work fine for your situation.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #11

Not sure the property owner will want a septic tank buried on his property. The trailer owner does not own the property.

-- Chuck
Old 01-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Not sure the property owner will want a septic tank buried on his property. The trailer owner does not own the property.

-- Chuck
Then again, maybe they are totally open to the possibility, especially if they are open to your porta pot idea.

And, it doesn't have to be buried if there is enough drop for the onboard tank to drain.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Many job work sites and tiny home folks are going the route of using and/or partially burying a plastic septic holding tank (just enough the R/V tank drains into it) and then having a septic company come pump it out as needed. Should work fine for your situation.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. Just set on the ground beside the trailer.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:49 PM   #14

Greetings U All

I have a brand new, never used, few years old tote for behind the truck. It is a Barker. If anybody lives in CA or is visiting CA it needs a new home. So I thought I would throw that into the mix.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #15
CCL

Holding Tank

You might try portapottypro.com. They will rent you an above ground wastewater holding tank and provide pump out service.
ccleaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Yes, that’s what I was referring to. Just set on the ground beside the trailer.
That seems like a single-purpose solution. If you travel and camp elsewhere, the macerator and portable tank are reusable. It does require that you do the labor, though.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not thinking a towable honey wagon. There is a reason I have never use one.
As described, the honey wagon isn't towed. It's in the back of your truck.

If abilities or preferences prevent that approach, the stationary tank seems like a feasible approach but what do you do with the tank when you're done?

Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
I have a brand new, never used, few years old tote for behind the truck. It is a Barker. If anybody lives in CA or is visiting CA it needs a new home. So I thought I would throw that into the mix.

Where in CA? You don't have your location listed in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
As described, the honey wagon isn't towed. It's in the back of your truck.

If abilities or preferences prevent that approach, the stationary tank seems like a feasible approach but what do you do with the tank when you're done?
You rent it and they come to pick it up when you’re done.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #20

There is an app somewhere that lists free dump sites. We have used them.

Then once every 7-10 days you can haul the RV and dump. Likely free.

The black tank material is of a better quality than the rancher is adding to his septic system. Having a tote and dumping in his septic system clean out is no big deal.

We have dumped at our home before.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank