Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Heated and enclosed

Anybody out there with a 2018 Sandpiper 379FLOK, that doesn't have the pull valves for the tanks, inside the docking station? And also has the place in the control panel for tank heater switches, but have no switches?
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD929 View Post
Anybody out there with a 2018 Sandpiper 379FLOK, that doesn't have the pull valves for the tanks, inside the docking station? And also has the place in the control panel for tank heater switches, but have no switches?
Tank heaters are an option. Don't know about the pulls for the tanks.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Our's has neither, and all other's I checked had the docking center valves for the tanks. Don't see how it could be heated and enclosed, like advertised, with no switches to flip
Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Our's has neither, and all other's I checked had the docking center valves for the tanks. Don't see how it could be heated and enclosed, like advertised, with no switches to flip
I'm gonna go make an Assumption here and Assume the advertisement is an enclosed and heated underbelly. Nothing to switch on. Furnace takes care of that. Remeber I am assuming here. Tank heaters have switches.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

That's what I was wanting confirmation on. The dealer told me that also, but I wasn't convinced from how he explained it, especially when seeing that there is a place for switches in the control panel. Thank you
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
That's what I was wanting confirmation on. The dealer told me that also, but I wasn't convinced from how he explained it, especially when seeing that there is a place for switches in the control panel. Thank you
Just remember... 'heated & enclosed' is marketing hype.

You'll not have much cold protection from the thin plastic (coroplast) underbelly and the small amount of heat from the furnace won't keep things from freezing for more than a couple hours.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #7

True
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Underpinning would probably help as much as anything
Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

I have the 372LOK with the enclosed and heated underbelly and we camped through December into temps down into the teens. We had a 1500 watt electric heater to supplement, but kept our thermostat set around 58-60 degrees and the furnace would kick on occasionally throughout the night. We unhooked the fresh water hose each evening before it got below freezing, but the hookup was on the southeast side, so it got sun in the mornings and we could hook it back up early. We put some water in the fresh water tank to use at night.

The temps varied throughout our 10-day stay with highs in the low 60s to nightly temps down to 16. It did get above freezing each day, but some days, it was only 40ish.

We had no problem at all with freezing tanks or lines. I hope that helps you a bit.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Good to know. We were thinking of taking a winter time workamping job on Ky, and wasn't sure how that would go. I'd say a heated water line might also help
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #11

If I were going to be parked for any length of time (more than a week or two), I would purchase some foamboard with foil backing and cut it to fit between the ground and the edge of the camper. It can be attached with some duct tape to the underside and also use the tape to connect the pieces so wind/cold won't get under the camper. It might cost you $60-$70, but it will save you on propane and keep the camper much, much warmer in freezing temps. If it gets extremely cold, a regular light bulb or even a small heater placed underneath would also help. (My niece (USMC) is currently living in hers when she was stationed about 8 hours from her home, which she purchased in Georgia a couple of years ago. Her spouse is still working in GA. They have had some unexpectedly cold temps - teens - for several days and the foam board and a quartz infrared heater inside kept her with water even during the coldest nights. She did have a heated water hose.)

Just my thoughts on the subject.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #12

I agree. We'll be full timing this time next year, so we'll definitely be parked quite a bit, while workamping. Thank you
Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #13

Lots of good responses. My heritage glen has the "extended season" package with the enclosed underbelly and furnace duck to the basement where the docking station is, but my pull handles are below the camper.

Is the control panel labeled tank heater or is there just open spaces? I'm not positive but I think all the panels are the same with "knock outs" and they add spaces for the number needed for each unit? not sure though without standing in front of my panel.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #14

My docking station is on the right side towards the front. Pull handles on same side, at the rear, where the hose hookup is, but you can't see the handles without lying on the ground. They're above the hose connection and close to the sidewall of the camper. Kinda hard to get to. As far as the switches in the control panel, they're marked for the tank heater's, but have knock out's
Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #15

Thinking about cutting a 4 inch hole in the sheet metal, and installing a deck plate hatch cover, that I can just open, reach in and pull the valves, without having to lay down and reach up for it.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #16

RickyD929 we have 2018.5 Sierra 379 flok and my only complaint is the valve handles u literally have to have hazmat suit on lay on ground to see them so my husband is thinking same thing
used2ownaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #17

You can order one from Amazon. Comes in 8, 6, and 4 inch. Deck hatch cover