Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
Papi

HELP! Black tank clogged. Ideas? Checks?

2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Last night we discovered the black tank clogged. Toilet would not enpty into tank and is now about full itself from trying to dump it. Last few days we've been seeing a large single bubble appear when the toilet was enptied...Related?
LEDs show about half full and tank was emptied/rinsed just about 5 days ago so I wasn't concerned.
Could this be a vacuum issue? If so, it's a helluva vacuum...NOTHING even dribbles out of the port and tiolet hasn't lost any fluid all night. Poked a stick into toilet drain down as far as it would go but nothing changed. Ideas please before I call the $250 repair guy. Thanks! Never any issues previously.
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #2

Maybe work a stretched out wire coat hangar from the dump side (outside) and loosen a possible clog on that end. Kind of a "roto-rooter" tactic I guess.
A messy but essential job, so I've heard. Glove up!
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Oh yeah.........a catch bucket too.
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

I've had a similar situation and not sure if it is recommended against, but I had a water hose that I would drain my grey water slowly when boon docking. It is only about 15' long so I used it to stick down from the toilet with water flowing to rinse the tank. Now I just make sure when we flush we use plenty of water to keep things from settling. Also, if possible, I will hold off on dumping my black tank until I put a few miles on it to have everything worked loose.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
Site Team

THIS is why we don't put TP down the potty! I know there's an ewwww
factor for some but a little waste basket next to the potty serves very well.
Lined with the ubiquitous plastic grocery bag and dropped in the dumpster
during the evening CG walk about.
Folks with house-boat experience know what I'm talking about. What's a
house-boat other than a big ole floating RV?
Plus we can use our favorite brand of TP and not worry about whether it's
"easily broken down"...

Remember- it's all part of the adventure!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

Not sure how you can get it unplugged as it could be anywhere in the plumbing. The answer for the future however, is to use plenty of water when flushing solids/toilet paper. If you skimp on water, you'll continue to experience these types of issues!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Not sure on your exact unit, but if your toilet is not a vertical drop into the tank, it could be a simple clog in the elbow to the tank due to too little water usage. A small ( very flexible ) snake down the toilet may dislodge it. You need to turn off the water pump or disconnect public water so you can have the toilet valve open without overflowing the toilet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Last time we went out to the CG with a group of friends, one of the couples in a Rockwood 5er had that happen. Their toilet was on the 2nd floor and ran down through the pass through compartment with the pipework to the tank. It took about an hour of fooling around before we got it flowing again. The instrument of my success here was a Valtera Flush King. I've been a fan of this device for years and have had no issues with black tanks clogging or stinking. By closing the FK blade and running the water back up to the tank and alternately opening and closing the black tank dump valve to build hydraulic surge, we broke it loose and were able to clean it out. If the terlet is full of do do, you might put on the gloves and bail it down first to preclude an even greater sheet mess! Once you get the clog taken care of, the flush king and rinser will get you back to normal. Good luck, hope you get lucky and it works for you too, not fun!
Flybob's too little water useage is a valid point. My friend who had the issue wasn't in the habit of putting 3-4 " of water in the bowl first. Never could figure that logic out!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Last night we discovered the black tank clogged. Toilet would not enpty into tank and is now about full itself from trying to dump it. Last few days we've been seeing a large single bubble appear when the toilet was enptied...Related?
LEDs show about half full and tank was emptied/rinsed just about 5 days ago so I wasn't concerned.
Could this be a vacuum issue? If so, it's a helluva vacuum...NOTHING even dribbles out of the port and tiolet hasn't lost any fluid all night. Poked a stick into toilet drain down as far as it would go but nothing changed. Ideas please before I call the $250 repair guy. Thanks! Never any issues previously.
Silly question, but have you tried dumping the tank?
Your post says its been 5 days since it was dumped. Maybe its full and your tank lights are not working correctly?
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
Silly question, but have you tried dumping the tank?
Your post says its been 5 days since it was dumped. Maybe its full and your tank lights are not working correctly?
What kfd82 said, ^^
You also mentioned a 'bubble' when flushing.
That 'burp' is a sure sign the tank is almost full.

The gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

I have same trailer. Took it to shop 10/1 for slide issue. While in parking lot, the black tank 'compromised' right there! Bam.

Turns out there is a short piece of pipe, about 6" long, of 3" ABS, that connects the black tank to the discharge tube. It is not screwed in, or bolted in, or anything......just a compression fitting. Mine was apparently loose from initial build, and had an air gap. Sort of similar to cross threading, if it were a bolt. Just "on crooked" and let stuff escape. It ruined the insulation, etc. They got a new piece and are putting it in.

But if that piece is bad, or installed wrong, this would affect how it dumps.

Just a possibility.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

Back-flush it.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
THIS is why we don't put TP down the potty! I know there's an ewwww
factor for some but a little waste basket next to the potty serves very well.
Lined with the ubiquitous plastic grocery bag and dropped in the dumpster
during the evening CG walk about.
Folks with house-boat experience know what I'm talking about. What's a
house-boat other than a big ole floating RV?
Plus we can use our favorite brand of TP and not worry about whether it's
"easily broken down"...

Remember- it's all part of the adventure!

Wow. We flush tp , like if you use enough water you never have a problem. Some campers won't even use there bathroom to poop in. Waste basket for tp , not me

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

When ours clogged because if over zealous visitors and TP I dumped a large quantity if Rid X for septic system in the bowl and ut dissolved the blog after a few hours if sitting. I then rinsed the tank with alot if water. Rid X us available at WalMart, HomeDepot maybe even Ace. Good luck.
caburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #15

I know people who don't flush their TP. and many more who do.
the SOB we purchased was on a seasonal lot for several yrs and the owner never flushed his tank. he left the drain open so all the liquids ran off the solids.

It took me all last season and this season to get a clean tank.
hauled with water softener tablets - hot water to the states and back.
flushed every chance we could. put a clear adaptor on the flush out connection and I was surprised on the amounts of TP that continued to come out. several gallons of water required.
Checked with home inspection camera.

of you have a way to look up the drain from the outside (carefully) would you be able to see past the dump valve?
can you insert anything in from that area like a garden hose to see how far you can snake it before you hit a stop area?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #16

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I had no draining when I opened the valve outside. Turns out that, after a while,,,,,the uric acid built up a "skin" on the floor and walls of the tank, and it broke looks and plugged up the drain. It was like a thin sheet of dirty glass. Open up the valve outside....stick a coat hanger up as far as it'll go. If that's the problem,,,,you'll DEFINITELY know as soon as you do that. Get out of the way!!! Also,,,,,don't worry about using TP,,,,RV toilet paper does what it's supposed to in the tank.....I've ALWAYS flushed TP without a problem for 12 years.......just remember....LOTS OF WATER IS A BLACK TANK'S BEST FRIEND.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #17

If all else fails!

It is going to be messy, but if all else fails, find a junk/old water hose and use it like a plumbers snake going in at the dump. You are probably going to find a TP clog. If you haven't moved recently, there hasn't been any motion to break it up.

Before traveling, always dump and flush the add a few gallons of water with something like Pine Sol cleaner. The tanks will clean itself as you travel. Dump when you arrive. You will be surprised to see what comes out.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
It is going to be messy, but if all else fails, find a junk/old water hose and use it like a plumbers snake going in at the dump. You are probably going to find a TP clog. If you haven't moved recently, there hasn't been any motion to break it up.

Before traveling, always dump and flush the add a few gallons of water with something like Pine Sol cleaner. The tanks will clean itself as you travel. Dump when you arrive. You will be surprised to see what comes out.
And you can always bottle the stuff you get out of the tank up and sell it. Saw this at one of our local grocery - I think I'll pass on this BOGO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackwater.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	124873  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #19

I really Don't remember the name of the stuff I think its called tank digest, you can find it at a RV store. drop a tab down and let it set for 24 hrs it will dissolve anything. You didn't have your sewer drain open as I did until I learned the hard way?...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I really Don't remember the name of the stuff I think its called tank digest, you can find it at a RV store. drop a tab down and let it set for 24 hrs it will dissolve anything. You didn't have your sewer drain open as I did until I learned the hard way?...
Are you thinking of RV Digest It?

We use this all the time - every dump gets a 4 OZ treatment (in addition to our Blue Streak Chemical dispenser (www.bluestreakchem.net)

We use Charmin 4Ply, lots of water, good tank rinse (x2 Fill & dump every time) Same process through 3 RVs and 15 years, zero problems.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank