Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Help. Hot water and galley tank.

Loving my brand new 2019 salem 31kqbts but I am new to this and I'm so confused. Our camper is permanently parked and we used it this weekend. At first had hot water and then went to clean some dishes and no hot water. Don't have a control on our propane so we figured we were out. Looked at our manual and saw that also runs on electric( don't remember our walk thru guy telling us this) flipped switch took a hot very quick shower 2 minutes. Next shower cold. What are we doing wrong! Second what in the world is the gallery tank? Got fresh, black , and grey down pat, but the galley tank never changes. Help. Never owner a trailer before and trying to learn. Thanks for your feedback
Traveling fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling fools View Post
Loving my brand new 2019 salem 31kqbts but I am new to this and I'm so confused. Our camper is permanently parked and we used it this weekend. At first had hot water and then wentvtonclean some dishes and no hot water. Don't have a control on our propane so we figured we were out. Looked at our manual and saw that also runs on electric( don't remember our walk thru guy telling us this) flipped switch took a hot very quick shower 2 minutes. Next shower cold. What are we doing wrong! Second what in the world is the gallery tank? Got fresh, black , and grey down pat, but the gallery tank never changes. Help. Never owner a trailer before and trying to learn. Thanks for your feedback
Re: hot water -- I suspect your water heater bypass valve is in the wrong position which allows cold water to mix with hot before getting to the shower.

The galley (not gallery) tank catches waste water from your kitchen sink.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

You probably have 2 gray tanks as I do. Gages don't always work. You should find 3 gate valves. 1 gray, 1 galley and 1 black. Galley is kitchen. You can keep the grays open when on sewer but keep the black closed except to dump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Re: hot water -- I suspect your water heater bypass valve is in the wrong position which allows cold water to mix with hot before getting to the shower.

The galley (not gallery) tank catches waste water from your kitchen sink.
Here is the water tank... if I'm correct we dont have a bypass valve..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_092439.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	201718  
Old 04-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Here is the water tank... if I'm correct we dont have a bypass valve..
handles are on the bottom of the white TEE's.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Site Team

I suspect at least one of those two valves is a 3-way valve. Have you tried to turn either valve to keep water from flowing through the white hose (the bypass hose)?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

Wrong pix ...the lines indicate the hand direction...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190414_163812.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	201729  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

We're so confused..lol... I hope we didnt screw anything up or ruin the heater or elements...
Old 04-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You should be fine. Just turn the handles to the appropriate orientation and carry on. As long as there is water in the tank you didn’t ruin anything.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Wrong pix ...the lines indicate the hand direction...

If your handles are facing the tank as you stated, then that is correct for normal use, as shown in this pic below.

This thread explains such:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Let me think on your problem just a bit and reread your posts

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Team

How did you turn the electric heating element on (what switch and where was it located?)

It appears you have a Suburban brand water heater from your pic. This thread may also help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #12

Next step is to be sure you outside shower valves are turned off. Not just off at the shower head. Same for the bath shower.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
Site Team

If your two tank bypass valves are correct, then you may also have a problem at the outside shower wand (if equipped)

You have to make sure if/when you use the outside shower that you turn off the water with the handles and not just the shower wand. If not, then this can allow the cold water to be sucked into the hot water line when using the hot water faucets/showers INSIDE the RV

EDIT: Cavie types faster

Old 04-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
Site Team

OK, just to make sure....your water heater won't be instant unless you have an on-demand type water heater which you do not.

It will take around 20 minutes to heat up six gallons of water on propane. If you are using the propane side of the water heater and turn off the switch, then it will not reignite when the water cools down. You have to leave either the propane or electric switches on, and then let the thermostats turn on\off the heating sources depending on the temperature of the water.

It will usually take even longer to heat up a tank full of water initially on the electric heating element. You have to heat the water up BEFORE you need it.

Also a RV water heater tank is smaller than one at home usually. You may need to take navy showers, which means you turn the water on, get wet, turn off the water with the handheld wand.......lather/soap/shampoo up, turn water back on with wand and rinse off. Then turn off the tap handles.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #15

it seems that FR uses generic control center plates. ours had a place for the 'galley' tank and i couldn't figure it out what that was. it turns out that it is for the washer tank. we have washer / dryer prep but do not have a washer / dryer installed. i spent an afternoon with a clear plastic elbow on the sewer connection. i then poured water down each drain one at a time and opened the two non-black valves to see which tank was getting the drain water. the results were that the 'gray' tank drained the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower. the 'galley' tank was dedicated to the washer drain. it took some time but now i know where everything drains.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK, just to make sure....your water heater won't be instant unless you have an on-demand type water heater which you do not.

It will take around 20 minutes to heat up six gallons of water on propane. If you are using the propane side of the water heater and turn off the switch, then it will not reignite when the water cools down. You have to leave either the propane or electric switches on, and then let the thermostats turn on\off the heating sources depending on the temperature of the water.

It will usually take even longer to heat up a tank full of water initially on the electric heating element. You have to heat the water up BEFORE you need it.

Also a RV water heater tank is smaller than one at home usually. You may need to take navy showers, which means you turn the water on, get wet, turn off the water with the handheld wand.......lather/soap/shampoo up, turn water back on with wand and rinse off. Then turn off the tap handles.
Thank you.... Next time we're there we will try what you have suggested..... Appreciate it

Tags
hot water, tank, water