Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

Help Please!!! Toilet replacement

We are not new to RVing but are new to our 2013 Hyperlite XLR. The toilet flush pedal broke on the Thetford Aqua Magic style II. I think we can forget about a pedal replacement because every place I checked is out of stock. I am up for replacement of the toilet, but this model (42054) only has 8 1/2 inches from the back wall to the flange bolt. One vendor said a Dometic 300 would fit but I have read a lot of stink stories on this forum about the 300. I would like to replace it with a Dometic 310 or 320 but the installation diagram is vague about distance from the back wall to the flange bolts. If I can find a thetford replacement I might go for that as a last resort but I really do not want to repeat the problem. Any Help for me?
Johnnydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Have you contacted Thetford directly?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #3

You should be able to order replacement parts from a local dealer once you have the part number. Is it this one ?
https://www.thetford.com/part/aqua-magic-style-ii/
Old 09-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team

As for the setbacks; the 310 requires 10" from the wall and the 320 requires 11".
When you look in the manual at the drawings, you have to take note of the Figure number (Fig #3) then use the corresponding table to get the measurements.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Dahagen

I have found that toilet repairs never seem to hold for very long. Because the toilets are less than $150 it easier to replace them than repair them.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input.

None of the dealers that I contacted have it in stock. Most say that Thetford was shut down for some time. One said that the manufacturer might have it to them in two weeks, others say they will let me know when it is available. I can not even find a lower assembly. I am going to take Dahagen's advice and buy a new one. I found one at Camper World that I hope will fit.They said that the model I have is no longer made but one they have has the same specs as the one I have. Maybe we will just have to be careful with the flush pedal so we will not have to buy a new toilet too frequently
Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
RiderBloke

Another thought

Don’t forget if it is the plastic pedal that is broken your best friend may be J B Weld and a few small pieces of plastic or aluminum if necessary to strengthen the pedal. I have done this sort of thing on, eg. A motorcycle luggage rack and had great success.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #8

Do NOT replace with a Dometic 300!
Heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

replaced today.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I tried JB weld then gorilla glue,without reinforcement. It just broke again. Then I tried gorilla glue with a thin plywood reinforcement. That held but was wobbly. The pedal is all that holds the water valve in place so I could not risk a leak with this set-up. I reluctantly replaced the whole unit with another Thetford because it was the only one other than the Dometic 300 that would fit. And yes I read all of the stink stories on the Dometic 300 so when a supplier mentioned it I turned it down. One supplier mentioned that since the trailer was 7 years old that I might not find a replacement. What kind of and industry has products that become obsolete so quickly, especially when we spent what we consider a chunk of money on it?Any way we are happy now and ready to hit the road again so thanks to everyone.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
RiderBloke

Glad you got it fixed. Just an idea - have you thought about using one of those products to strengthen the pedal while it’s new? That might lengthen its life.
And yes every industry has a very short obsolescence period. Look at Apple and other electronic companies.
Safe journeys to you.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #11

Yes, there are hundreds of stories about the Dometic 300. But every one of them ends by saying that the Dometic 310 is dimensionally equivalent and was a drop-in replacement that took about 20 minutes.

It is the Dometic 320 that is deeper and needs more clearance from the back wall. If you haven't already installed a new Thetford, just get a Dometic 310, not 320.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement