Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #1

Help. Took apart a dometic 310

After watching a video on a leaking Dometic 310, I took apart my toilet. Separated the bowl from the base, just like the video. Then I saw the warning about not taking apart the toilet.

Is there a work around? Or is my only recourse buying a new toilet?
OliveOyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveOyl View Post
After watching a video on a leaking Dometic 310, I took apart my toilet. Separated the bowl from the base, just like the video. Then I saw the warning about not taking apart the toilet.

Is there a work around? Or is my only recourse buying a new toilet?
Took one of mine apart. After cleaning it put it back together. Have no issues with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	270444  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #3

The plastic nuts are trapped inside the ceramic part of the bowl. So there is no way to retrieve them. How does this work on your model?
Old 03-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #4

Its been awhile but I do remember something about having to maneuver the nuts through an opening in the seat and positioning them on the plastic/nylon spacers. The bolts were put back in gingerly and I'm not sure if I set it upright to install them or not.. At least that's what I think I did. Here's a picture of the ops ck after reinstall.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Where was your leak coming from? I replaced the water inlet valve kit and seal a couple months ago, which fixed my leak.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Where was your leak coming from? I replaced the water inlet valve kit and seal a couple months ago, which fixed my leak.
Well one leak was from the floor gasket. The other leak was from the water inlet gasket. Both gaskets were crushed. I proceeded to check all the gaskets. The trailer is only a month old.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

I went and looked at a photo and I remember that the nylon bolt mounting provision is a 2 piece nut and it is attached to the bolt loosly while the toilet is in 2 pieces and then all four bolts are pushed down to make the nylon split half nut imbed in the holes. The bolts are then tightened (while pulling up on them) to screw the movable smaller nuts into position spreading the split half nut and securing the 2 pieces together. And yes the nuts inside the toilet were maneuvered to the mounting holes (with the spreadable nut portion removed) and removed that way.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:59 AM   #8

Less confusing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	270466  
Old 03-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #9

Got it, thanks
Old 04-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #10

Attachment 272334
Well shoot! All packed ready to leave for Alaska. Last step, now that we should be past freezing weather, was to de-winterize and add water. Darn 8 yr old toilet is leaking allot at the seam between the bowl and plastic pedestal. I suspect it had minor leaks last fall as we found a few mystery puddles that we couldn’t trace.

After reading posts here and watching videos I decided Amazon was my friend and a identical replacement arrives Sunday. Had to order identical because of tight space in my Forester.

I did take it apart, with a hammer & pry bar, and can confirm it’s really not intended to come apart. I did try to unscrew it but the screws were corroded. Also found you cannot order replacement gaskets anywhere.

While it is 8 yrs old the gasket that leaked sure is thin and cheap. I hope they improved it on the new one. The picture in Bubbles post above shows what it looks like and the thin gasket. Mine was not picture worthy! yuk!
Old 05-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

So, if there's a leak between the two halves, how do you fix it? Can the screws be loosened and a gasket replaced without complete disassembly?

We just noticed a slight leak on the floor after many months of use. I'm guessing it's the floor seal but haven't done much analysis. The toilet seems tightly attached to the floor, with no wobble. The toilet will shift slightly if I try to push it, but I think that's the entire toilet flexing slightly.

Other than taking the toilet off the floor, which I have the tools to do (we're traveling), is there another probable cause to check first? All hose connections, and the valve, are dry.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
So, if there's a leak between the two halves, how do you fix it? Can the screws be loosened and a gasket replaced without complete disassembly?

We just noticed a slight leak on the floor after many months of use. I'm guessing it's the floor seal but haven't done much analysis. The toilet seems tightly attached to the floor, with no wobble. The toilet will shift slightly if I try to push it, but I think that's the entire toilet flexing slightly.

Other than taking the toilet off the floor, which I have the tools to do (we're traveling), is there another probable cause to check first? All hose connections, and the valve, are dry.
I found the 310 manual online. From it, "... Carefully torque nuts to 30-40 inch-pounds. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN." Who carries an in-lb torque wrench when traveling?

Old 05-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I found the 310 manual online. From it, "... Carefully torque nuts to 30-40 inch-pounds. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN." Who carries an in-lb torque wrench when traveling?
30-40 in-lbs is just hand-tight with a screwdriver
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:

We never were able to get it back together. We couldn't find a gasket. We couldn't find replacement nuts like in the picture. I think the design changed between the photos in the other posts and our model toilet. We ended up replacing the entire toilet.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:30 AM   #15

Quote:

I suggest looking very closely for the water leak. If it’s coming out at the seam between the plastic and ceramic not much you can do but replace. I could get mine apart without breaking and the large seal doesn’t seam to be available.

If it’s truly coming out at the floor you can just lift the toilet and replace the rubber seal.

Good luck

Name:	IMG_9313.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	273465
Old 05-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #16

If you have water on the floor, take a real close look where the foot pedal attaches.
We had the small puddle on the floor.
Turned out there was a small leak that only let water come out when the pedal was being pushed. The water came out from behind the pedal and trickled down the edge to the floor.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post
If you have water on the floor, take a real close look where the foot pedal attaches.

We had the small puddle on the floor.

Turned out there was a small leak that only let water come out when the pedal was being pushed. The water came out from behind the pedal and trickled down the edge to the floor.
Thanks. I'll check it out. It seemed to have stopped but reoccurred today. I have a 4-night stay in a few days and we'll take it on then.

Once identified, how is it fixed?

Old 02-16-2024, 07:12 PM   #18

I fished out the nuts with long picks and had to super glue the piece with the nuts inside back to the other piece. Theyre a one time use nut. The piece with the nut is made to break off and then pull up the other piece to make it flare out which gets it tight.
T49ers68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic