Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2023, 11:56 AM   #1

Help! Water Heater FI plumbing BACKwards!

I have a 2022 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205s. My Suburban water heater model number per the dealer sheet is SW6DELC - internet search was negative for that model, so for references and how to use, I am using model SW6DEL as my baseline. I have read the awesome water heater section and did not come across my factory install water heater configuration.

Frankly it is a mess in general. My Suburban water heater model SW6DEL factory install has the hot water and cold water lines opposite of the usual placement, and I think the bypass valves are upside down. I am afraid to use the water heater.

I am unsure if I understand the direction of cold and hot water into and out of the heater. Attached a photo of my water heater as is. HELP here please:

1. Does this install, even though all backwards, look functional?
i.e., divert cold water into the water heater when valves are perpendicular to the tubing going into the heater. AND
bypass the water heater when the valves are parallel to the water lines?

2. is the cold water line routed to bring water into the loop/or into the heater?

3. Is the hot water line routed to permit hot water to exit the heater tank or bypass as needed.?

4. I think I have set the valves to BYPASS the water heater. Would someone(s) look at the pic and confirm or correct the present valve position?

The water pump is hooked up crazy as well. As it is such a jumbled mess in a small place I am not able to take a comprehensive picture. I am afraid to turn on the water pump for fear of backwards install.

5. If the water heater is bypassed and off, and water in the fresh water tank,
could I turn on the water pump without a catastrophic event occurring?

If another picture is needed to correctly assess the setup please give me an idea of what to photograph. Thanks all - seriously, Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230516_011257 copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	287409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230516_011228.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	287410  
EvilBatmanKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #2

I don't understand how you think the install is backwards.

I'm no expert, but it appears that the valves are in the bypass position. The direction of the valve indicates where the water is going. Right now, neither valve is letting water into or out of the hot water tank. Turn them 90 degrees.
Right now all you have running into the plumbing is cold water from either the city inlet or the pump.

After you turn the valves, you need to run water from the hot water faucet (like the sink) to fill the hot water tank before you use it. There is also a pressure relief valve on the tank to make certain the tank is filled.

If you try running the water heater on electric without water in the tank, you can burn out the electric element.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:05 PM   #3

Looks right to me. Cold in the bottom, hot out the top. It's in the winter bypass mode now.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #4

The others are right. It's in bypass mode for winterizing. Turn the valves to allow the water to flow thru the heater. If you turned on the waterheater with the valves in the winterize position and no water in the heater, you may have burned out the electric heating element.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team

OK let's approach this systematically and a stage at a time. You do have the valves currently set int he bypass position for winterizing. DO NOT turn on your water heater with the valves in this position. Let me repeat that. DO NOT turn on the water heater.

Check this thread link below that is a sticky at the top of the plumbing subsection:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-103381.html

Make your valves match what is in post # 4 at that link. Pic copied below:

Let us know when you have done that and we will proceed

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Team

The SWDELC is just a new way Suburban is identifying their models. You do have a SWDEL model and all the extra C at the end of the model means it comes factory equipped with a power CORD...vs being direct wired from the RV manufacturer. The C means cord

Your water heater is just a SWDEL+Cord. I previously discussed it here at the link below, with a chart from Suburban explaining the SWDELC

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2761854

This thread link below will explain how to operate the SWDE and SWDEL models. You just need to operate yours as a SWDEL. I will update it to add the +C.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBatmanKirk View Post
5. If the water heater is bypassed and off, and water in the fresh water tank,
could I turn on the water pump without a catastrophic event occurring?
All great answers, but I'm not sure question 5 was answered. Yes, you can run the water pump (or city water) with the water heater bypassed. You will simply get unheated water from both taps.

If you EVER attempt to winterize the trailer, be sure to bypass the water heater first, and drain it separately.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:08 PM   #8

Agreed. All great answers. Your tank plumbing is correct.

Now the "rub" as they say. DO NOT TURN ON THE HOT WATER HEATER when the plumbing is in bypass mode. The propane side will kind of take care of itself in that the "fire" is outside the heater and heats the tank. This, in turn, heats the thermostat and turns off the fire. NOT A GREAT IDEA, but a mistake you might make a few times and cause no harm. OTOH, if you don't have water in the heater and you turn on the ELECTRIC heating element, it will be ruined in no time. The electric heating element must be immersed in water to prevent a meltdown.

Direct the water into your tank by adjusting the bypass valves as shown by others. Run plenty of water through the system to purge all air bubbles from the tank and lines. Then and ONLY THEN apply heat.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, plumbing, water, water heater