Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
My new Wildwood wouldn't drain. I eventually called a septic "honey dipper" and he sucked it out. We found that when the factory drilled the hole for the tank washer, they left the plug in the tank and it closed off the drain. The "honey dipper{ was quick, effective and inexpensive.
This would be the best method.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That'll only help if the clog is near the drain valve.
I use one on a regular basis. Works quite well in our situation. But Our pipe is a straight shot from tank to the valve. I also have a "stick" for tougher situations.

One thing I noticed when I dropped the coroplast under our black tank to work on another issue. The bottom of the tank directly under the toilet is bowed. Bowed enough to cause that first TP to settle there. And every subsequent TP lays on top. Voila! The dreaded TP Tee Pee. using more water does not seem to help much.

Next time I will reinforce the bottom of tank.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #23
TGR

My 5th wheel trailer has a 90-degree elbow below the toilet, then it runs for 3-4 feet to another 90-degree elbow that drops down to the black holding tank where a poop pyramid rose to block my toilet. I did a Google search for "fix a poop pyramid" and found directions to build a flexible flush wand out of a straight 10-foot length of 1/2-inch PEX tubing fitted to a Sharkbite 1/2-inch PEX barbed to hose adaptor fitting and secured with a hose clamp. Adding a hose shutoff is a good idea, too. Just snake the open end of the PEX tubing into your holding tank and use water pressure to break up the pyramid. I've only needed it once but for less than $15, I can fix the problem should it happen again.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #24

We just had this problem this last week and tried just about everything. Then I bought Valterra Flush King 45 degree reverse flush valve attachment for rv on Amazon. It must have the gate valve. I attached to my sewer pipe outlet and then to my sewer hose. I then attached my water hose used just for black water and opened my black water gate valve and turned water on while keeping other gate valve closed. I let the water shoot up the sewer pipe for a few minutes, then I turned water off and opened the other gate valve and it unblocked that clog big time. I would have someone in the bathroom just to make sure it doesn't overflow but ours was at the top and it did not overflow. The extra gate valve being closed gave the water time to create the pressure needed to clear the clog.. You may have to do this a few times but I saw it work when nothing else would. Hope this helps.
wwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #25
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
My new Wildwood wouldn't drain. I eventually called a septic "honey dipper" and he sucked it out. We found that when the factory drilled the hole for the tank washer, they left the plug in the tank and it closed off the drain. The "honey dipper{ was quick, effective and inexpensive.
SMART. Easiest and most effective way to solve the problem.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
We just had this problem this last week and tried just about everything. Then I bought Valterra Flush King 45 degree reverse flush valve attachment for rv on Amazon. It must have the gate valve. I attached to my sewer pipe outlet and then to my sewer hose. I then attached my water hose used just for black water and opened my black water gate valve and turned water on while keeping other gate valve closed. I let the water shoot up the sewer pipe for a few minutes, then I turned water off and opened the other gate valve and it unblocked that clog big time. I would have someone in the bathroom just to make sure it doesn't overflow but ours was at the top and it did not overflow. The extra gate valve being closed gave the water time to create the pressure needed to clear the clog.. You may have to do this a few times but I saw it work when nothing else would. Hope this helps.
Worked for me too.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #27

could have a poop pyramid, might be worth looking down if it's a straight short from the toilet to the tank, or buy a cheap endoscope to stick down and have a good look.

Here is how to deal with a poop pyramid....https://drivinvibin.com/2021/07/20/r...0sewer%20drain.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #28

Exclamation

I'm hoping that the OP will come back and let us know how the problem was eventually resolved. The "honey wagon" strikes me as the method most likely to succeed without doing damage or ending up with a brown shower.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFla View Post
I'm hoping that the OP will come back and let us know how the problem was eventually resolved. The "honey wagon" strikes me as the method most likely to succeed without doing damage or ending up with a brown shower.
Yes siree! It's called "transferring the risk"
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #30

I’ve used one of these with success. I close the valve to the drain and let the water fill and push up into the black tank. This cleared the TP that was locking the opening at the gate valve on the tank.

Let it back fill for a couple of minutes then open the valve o the sewer connection. You will probably have to do that several times. Make sure the grey tank valves are closed.

I see some one has already posted about this but here is a link…

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Degr...19959123&psc=1

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #31

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Let it back fill for a couple of minutes then open the valve o the sewer connection. You will probably have to do that several times. Make sure the grey tank valves are closed.
I sure hope he doesn't do that. He said the sewage is already backing up into the toilet.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #32

Quote:
I sure hope he doesn't do that. He said the sewage is already backing up into the toilet.
I missed that… lol.. I don’t think it matters since it seemed the op is off like a dirty shirt..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #33

Quote:
That makes me visualize the poop gyser that Robin Williams experienced in the movie “RV” when he tried to empty the black tank in his rented motor home.

If that happens to the OP, hopefully there will be someone around that can hose him off afterwards. 😁
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:25 PM   #34

I have a “homemade” one. Simple, garden hose connection with a shut off. A ninety degree ell on the bottom end.
I use it every time we get home to flush out any leftovers.
I used it once while we were trapped in Bishop, Ca just because I didn’t think it was draining enough volume.

Glad the OP got his cleaned out!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:41 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post

Glad the OP got his cleaned out!
The OP(She)has NOT responded yet so she may not have solved the problem. She hasn't posted since her original post on January 19.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #36

Momma should have told those girls you don't flush feminine hygiene products down a toilet.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #37

A 20-pound bag of ice and a trip down the road usually cleans me out! The ice chips away at any residue in the tank while sloshing around during movement, as well as breaking-down any tissue clumps. The ice melts and helps to propel any particulate matter out of the tank during the dump cycle. Cost is limited to the bag of ice and gas.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #38

Thanks to all for your great advice. I ended up using many pans of boiling water one at a time down the toilet and letting it sit overnight. Fortunately there are restrooms I can use here at this RV Park. It took a while but it did break up some of the clog and allowed liquid to pass through. I ordered a snake auger from Amazon, it arrived two days later, and I easily just burst the clog. So much great help and advice on this forum and I appreciate all of you taking the time!
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #39

A other possibility

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned—if she has a wire for the pull on the black tank gate it could be broken.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Thanks to all for your great advice. I ended up using many pans of boiling water one at a time down the toilet and letting it sit overnight. Fortunately there are restrooms I can use here at this RV Park. It took a while but it did break up some of the clog and allowed liquid to pass through. I ordered a snake auger from Amazon, it arrived two days later, and I easily just burst the clog. So much great help and advice on this forum and I appreciate all of you taking the time!
Thanks for coming back and posting the resolution. Glad to hear you got it solved.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, black