Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 PM   #1

Help with black tank backup! [SOLVED]

I'm staying 2 months in an RV park in Palm springs. My 2 fourteen year old granddaughters came to visit for a couple of days and now my toilet appears to be backed up. I've tried to drain it but not much comes out. I hooked it up to the black tank flush and ran water in but I'm afraid to run too much. It is showing 2/3 full but it is backing up into the toilet. Can anyone help me??
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

did you notice how much toilet paper they used,sounds like a lot of tp may have plugged up your tank,one possible solution might be to disconect the drain at the sewer connection and try to backflush it,probally take 2 people and quick reactions to min any spillage.ask around park for help,i'm sure you can find help
Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm guessing that if you didn't instruct them on how to use a RV toilet, they probably overdid the TP and possibly other feminine products.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:09 AM   #4

Knew a plumber who hated going to schools to unplug toilets. Apparently children's muscles are pretty loose and they can take some tremendous 'dumps.'
I'd put in some more treatment and perhaps add a healthy dose of Dawn dishwashing detergent to break up the 'poo'. You might want to get one of the hand held wands for cleaning rv toilets and see if you can flush it out from the toilet.
Good luck.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:10 AM   #5

Perhaps try using hot water and a disposable stick to break things up if your toilet is a straight drop to the black tank?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #6
Camping the Natural State

Is the dump valve open ? No pun intended.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I use a wand that I attach to my hose and disconnect the slinky I then turn on the water and vale on wand open black take valve and push the hose up the tube; I have a bucket handy when it brake loose and am quick to close the valve. I have wire that attached to dump valve and found these to bend causing the valve not to open all the way. Finally got to dealer to have them fix. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Team

I've got one of these. It's been used to break up more toilet clogs than I care to remember.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...120742763&th=1
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #9

I used a 15' mini snake. Put it down the toilet with the dump valve open and turn the handle to spin the snake. Whatever was clogging it released it and voila!
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've got one of these. It's been used to break up more toilet clogs than I care to remember.

X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #11

Blockage

As others have said; two fourteen yers old girls. I vote for a Maxipad wrapped in five pounds of toilet paper.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #12

Does the water go down at all? If so just keep adding water until the tank is full, adding some tank helper such as camper’s friend or Rid-X enzymes to help break things down. Let it sit overnight then dump it, flush it a couple times by putting in lots of water.

If your toilet is a straight drop you can use a stick as a said above, or you may be able to dump water from a bucket to get things to move a bit. My wife had ours clogged a couple of times and once I had to use the garden hose to blast down the toilet, let it sit for the water to seep down and repeated it several times to get it lose. Lots of water will save you.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #13

It sounds like you are dealing with one of two things. Either it is clogged at the valve where it empties out or you have the dreaded "poop pyramid" where stuff piles up where the stool drops it and builds up until it blocks the stool. Depending on which you have the fix could be different. First, ignore the 3/4 full indicator. They seldom are accurate. If when you ran the black tank flush an equal amount of water seemed to be coming out of the drain then you probably have a poop pyramid. If the water just seeped out then you probably have a valve blockage. What I have done for a poop pyramid is use a slinky from Walmart or and hardware store and worked it down the stool until I got water flowing. After that, I would fill the stool with hot water from the shower and release a stool full of hot water all at once into the tank. I would repeat this many times. If you already have a slow flow of water try the stool full of hat water. Good luck. Let us know how you fixed it.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:

X3
I have the Camco brand, and it works great as well!
Old 01-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
I'm staying 2 months in an RV park in Palm springs. My 2 fourteen year old granddaughters came to visit for a couple of days and now my toilet appears to be backed up. I've tried to drain it but not much comes out. I hooked it up to the black tank flush and ran water in but I'm afraid to run too much. It is showing 2/3 full but it is backing up into the toilet. Can anyone help me??
Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser
The Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser latches securely onto your RVs sewer outlet. The 45 degree angle allows water to blast directly into the outlet, rinsing out residue. Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser features a clear elbow to see when the water runs clear. A vacuum breaker prevents backflow into the water hose. Additional features include a 4-prong bayonet swivel fitting that easily and securely attaches to the RV’s sewer outlet, and a swivel lug fitting to connect to your sewer hose.

How it Works
The Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser creates a high flow blast of water into the sewage pipe, cleaning the tank. The 45˚ angle allows the water to flow through the pipes and directly to the tank. Regular tank rinsing helps reduce unwanted odors, reduces the risk of clogging and keeps sensors clean to ensure accurate reading. The Rhino Blaster attaches to the outside of the RV, so there is no need for sanitation equipment to be brought inside, or brought back out after use.

To use the Rhino Blaster, begin by removing the cap on your RV’s sewer outlet. Attach the clear end of the Rhino Blaster to the sewer outlet with the swivel bayonet fitting. Then, attach your sewer hose to the other end of the Rhino Blaster. (Whatever about the backflow preventer/vacuum breaker) Double-check to make sure all connections are secure. With the water hose valve in the 'off' position, empty your black and gray water tanks.

The break resistant clear 45˚ elbow allows you to see when your tank is empty. Once it is empty, turn the water hose knob to the on position. Turn on the water rinse out the system. Once the water runs clear, your system is thoroughly rinsed. When you’re done, detach the water and sewer hose, remove the Rhino Blaster and replace the sewage cap.

Key Features
Clear 45˚ elbow
Direct jet water flow
Swivel bayonet fitting
Swivel lug fitting
Vacuum breaker
Durable polycarbonate construction
On/off water valve
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser
The Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser latches securely onto your RVs sewer outlet. The 45 degree angle allows water to blast directly into the outlet, rinsing out residue. Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser features a clear elbow to see when the water runs clear. A vacuum breaker prevents backflow into the water hose. Additional features include a 4-prong bayonet swivel fitting that easily and securely attaches to the RV’s sewer outlet, and a swivel lug fitting to connect to your sewer hose.

How it Works
The Rhino Blaster Tank Rinser creates a high flow blast of water into the sewage pipe, cleaning the tank. The 45˚ angle allows the water to flow through the pipes and directly to the tank. Regular tank rinsing helps reduce unwanted odors, reduces the risk of clogging and keeps sensors clean to ensure accurate reading. The Rhino Blaster attaches to the outside of the RV, so there is no need for sanitation equipment to be brought inside, or brought back out after use.

To use the Rhino Blaster, begin by removing the cap on your RV’s sewer outlet. Attach the clear end of the Rhino Blaster to the sewer outlet with the swivel bayonet fitting. Then, attach your sewer hose to the other end of the Rhino Blaster. (Whatever about the backflow preventer/vacuum breaker) Double-check to make sure all connections are secure. With the water hose valve in the 'off' position, empty your black and gray water tanks.

The break resistant clear 45˚ elbow allows you to see when your tank is empty. Once it is empty, turn the water hose knob to the on position. Turn on the water rinse out the system. Once the water runs clear, your system is thoroughly rinsed. When you’re done, detach the water and sewer hose, remove the Rhino Blaster and replace the sewage cap.

Key Features
Clear 45˚ elbow
Direct jet water flow
Swivel bayonet fitting
Swivel lug fitting
Vacuum breaker
Durable polycarbonate construction
On/off water valve
That'll only help if the clog is near the drain valve.

OP said they have a black tank flush already.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

X2
And if the tank drain pipe is like mine it has two elbows BEFORE going into the tank at the blade valve so no "flush" action would ever make it to the tank.

Those devices "could" work if it was a short, straight shot into the tank from where it twists on to the drain pipe. Many R/Vs are not.

To the OP... clearing this 'may' potentially be a messy job if you are unable to snake a line or blast water through the toilet (into the tank) to clear the blockage. At that point, your alternative is to remove the sewer hose and go up through the drain pipe. Be prepared for a mess.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #18

Exclamation

Quote:

OP also mentioned the black tank contents are backing up into the toilet, so adding more water could result in a really bad mess.

I recently used the Rhino Blaster on a GREY tank clog with good results, but I wouldn't use that strategy with a black tank that is so full it is already backing up into the toilet.

CAMPING - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #19

You can bet it’s feminine products. We have 5 granddaughters and I had to lay the law down. We keep small disposal bags for them. You need to run the hose up through the drain but I would not do it at a campground because I don’t see anyway to not have at least a little spillage. If it’s still backed up in the toilet, I wouldn’t turn the water on very high at first.
The Newsoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #20

Plugged Tank

My new Wildwood wouldn't drain. I eventually called a septic "honey dipper" and he sucked it out. We found that when the factory drilled the hole for the tank washer, they left the plug in the tank and it closed off the drain. The "honey dipper{ was quick, effective and inexpensive.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, black