Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Help with stuck water pump check valve

Hey everyone. We are camping right now and hooked up to city water but fresh water tank is overflowing. I’ve tried all the tricks I could find like leaving the water pump on for 10 minutes and then running the hot water. Also tried to just have the hot water on and continually turn the pump on and off and that didn’t work either.

So my question is do you have any other tricks or is there a way to bypass the water pump all together so we can just be on city water and not worry about the fresh tank filling up. Thanks I’m advance and appreciate any help you can give.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

Did you turn off the city water while running the pump? And plan b is now since your tank is full you can always just run the pump to get thru the trip.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

I like plan B above, till you get home and tear it apart
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with your unit but if the antifreeze input for winterizing is at your pump and selected via a valve at the pump you could select the winterize valve position and if the antifreeze tube can be plugged the water backflow through the pump will be directed to the antifreeze tube and stop. My antifreeze tube is this way and has a removable plug and I have done this a couple times to temporarily deal with the issue you have. Has not created any other issues. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Did you turn off the city water while running the pump? And plan b is now since your tank is full you can always just run the pump to get thru the trip.
This^^^^ disconnect from city water and simply use the FW tank.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. I did disconnect from city water first but that did work either. So I’ll go with Plan B and just work off the fresh tank all weekend. First time we’ve ever used it so should be an experience. Weird thing is when we turn the water pump on it even without running water it seems to cycle on and off. Not sure if that’s normal or not.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1211 View Post
Thanks everyone. I did disconnect from city water first but that did work either. So I’ll go with Plan B and just work off the fresh tank all weekend. First time we’ve ever used it so should be an experience. Weird thing is when we turn the water pump on it even without running water it seems to cycle on and off. Not sure if that’s normal or not.

The pump should run a few seconds after turning off the water then stop. If it cycles on and off when not using water there's a leak someplace, or could be that stuck check valve letting the pressure drop.
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Is this a relatively new camper?

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 02-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
This sounds to me like a leaking check valve. If you can't reset the check valve by using the tips posted many times on this forum it's possible that there is some contamination in the pump causing the check valve to leak.

For the duration of the trip I'd just use tank water and as the tank is drawn down, turn off pump, hook up city water, and try again. Running a lot of water through the pump with no city water connection may well flush it out and reset the check valve.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

If your water bay has the Anderson switch you turn between water pump, City, and Fill
you need to replace the cartridge. Here is a YouTube website that explains the problem. The source cited for the replacement cartridge was out of stock. I ordered two cartridges from "Elk Mountain" in Elkhart Indiana. I think they were $39.99

"HOW TO DIAGNOSE, REPAIR AND FIND PARTS FOR ANDERSON KANTLEAK RV WATER VALVE | RV LIVING ️About this Episode: Join me in this episode where I show you how to diagnose possible issues with the Anderson KantLeak RV water valve. We’ll take the valve apart and repair it along with finding a great online source for parts. I hope this video was ...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Team

One more trick.
Turn off city water
Turn off pump

run water until it stops
turn on water pump and run water 1 min
shut off faucet

once pump stops turn off water pump
turn on city water.
Do not run water pump while connected to city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #12

I had the same problem a few times running the pump on and off a few times will clear it but it will stick again at least mine did. The rv shop sold me a plastic shut off valve and I installed it between the pump and the fresh water tank...I keep it turned off when hooked to city water and open when I want to use my stored water. I hated to see my fresh water tank overflowing like that.
mustardjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #13

Does anyone have a picture of what the check valve looks like or an example of the how you installed a shut off valve? I want to fix this myself but could you a little assistance for exactly what I’m looking for.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
Scoundrel

You'll likely find your water pump somewhere behind your hot water tank, maybe. Depends what TT you have. The water pump looks like the one in the first photo; The strainer is pictured in the second photo and is on the inlet side of the water pump. Lastly, see post number 10 on the link provided below. You find a photo of a new brass checkvalve installed on the inlet to the strainer. Good luck.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...mp-182348.html
Attached Images

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 02-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #15

To get by, see if the camp store has a male hose plug. Most carry them. Disconnect the outlet side of the water pump and plug the hose. You should be able to use city water.
The pump probably got some plastic in it and stopping a valve from closing. Screw off the front of the strained and clean. It usually has plastic shards in it from the drilling of the FW tank.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of what the check valve looks like or an example of the how you installed a shut off valve? I want to fix this myself but could you a little assistance for exactly what I’m looking for.
The check valve is internal to the pump. If you have room in your piping, you can add a check valve. Just install between the strainer and the pump. Use some white Teflon tape and screw it onto the water pump. Than reattach the hose from the strainer. Do not over tighten.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73BB2BFB-E025-422A-ADD6-DB14267D3C13.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	223425
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #17

I have a 2019 Isata 3 Series Class C and my water pump was under the shower pan. Access is by removing the front panel screws.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #18

Isaiah 3 Water valve

I have the same problem with my unit 2019 and I believe there are others with the same problem. Back at dealers now for warranty work. Seems like a bad batch of valves.
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I have the same problem with my unit 2019 and I believe there are others with the same problem. Back at dealers now for warranty work. Seems like a bad batch of valves.
Or a lot of people who leave their water pump switch on while hooked to city water.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, pump, valve, water, water pump